King's Quest - Adventure Games from 3D to Text

For announcing and discussing games, getting feedback, asking for hints

Moderators: Pertex, Alex, sgreig, Cryophile

Postby paul_one » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:17 pm

http://www.google.com/
or you're favourite file-sharing program...
paul_one

Postby 007bond » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:20 pm

I'd rather not in case it's too large.
007bond

Postby steve the gaming guy » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:34 pm

You'd rather not in case it's too large? Google anyway to find out more information about it. And when someone answers your question, don't say why it won't work.

Anyway, you can also look on Ebay or other types of on-line purchasing sites. What you will want to search for is the King's Quest Collection. It contains King's Quest 1-7 and some other odd games. There's also a King's Quest 8 (the last one) but it was not as successful.
steve the gaming guy

Postby 007bond » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:58 pm

thanks, i'll put that on my "things-to-do" list. Unfortunately, with school coming up in just over a week, i doubt that's gonna happen for a while.
007bond

just do it

Postby ESPER » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:20 am

Just download them, bro. They used to fit on 3.5" floppies. They can't be too large...
ESPER

Postby steve the gaming guy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:00 pm

You could probably only download them from a file-sharing group. Other than that, I don't know.
Also keep in mind that they were designed to play on older computers. King's Quest 5 and 6 seemed to have a problem but there are fixes for them.
steve the gaming guy

specs

Postby ESPER » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:24 am

Okay... KQ 1 is 270 K (there's a graphically updated version that is 1.9 Megs). KQ 2 is 345 K. KQ 3 is 463 (this is my favorite). KQ 4 is 2.7 Mb. KQ 5 is 8.6 Mb, and KQ 6 is 8.9 Mb (although for some reason it doesn't work). As with most DOS-based games, mouse and sound card emulation is shady (on mine, the mouse works on all but 5 and six, and the sound doesn't work on any but the first three). My website is down, and thus my email is down, else I'd send them to you, but Steve's right... I got them all on BearShare.
ESPER

here

Postby ESPER » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:45 am

Hmmm... I didn't get the option to edit my last post for some reason... I'm not trying to postwhore, but I thought you all might be interested in this... http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ ... It lets you make King's Quest/Police Quest/Space Quest/Hero's Quest/Maniac Mansion/Monkey Island type games (the types of games Sierra and LucasArts both used to be known for in the eighties and early nineties...)
Just thought I'd share...
ESPER

Postby 007bond » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:09 am

There are many of those DOS Game Creators around.
007bond

not quite...

Postby ESPER » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:21 am

This one's actually really spiffy, and is Windows based with a really good GUI. Some of the games made with it are professional level, and alot are on Home of the Underdogs. One good example is Five Days a Stranger, which has some good graphics and sound and isn't badly written (although I got stuck in it and quit... grrr). Thisd is definitely not a pass-up for anyone interested in game development. I've also used Adventure Maker for making Myst-like games and Game Maker for making windows arcade games. Quest, though, is definitely my fave for Infocom-style games!!!
ESPER

Re: not quite...

Postby steve the gaming guy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:16 pm

ESPER wrote:This one's actually really spiffy, and is Windows based with a really good GUI. Some of the games made with it are professional level, and alot are on Home of the Underdogs. One good example is Five Days a Stranger, which has some good graphics and sound and isn't badly written (although I got stuck in it and quit... grrr). Thisd is definitely not a pass-up for anyone interested in game development. I've also used Adventure Maker for making Myst-like games and Game Maker for making windows arcade games. Quest, though, is definitely my fave for Infocom-style games!!!

Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with it. I haven't used it to create games yet but I did play and beat 5 days a stranger. It's a creepy game. It ends weird though. Anyway, I might be able to help you get past a part if you're stuck.
steve the gaming guy

hmmm

Postby ESPER » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:14 am

Hmmm. I can't really say how I'm stuck... I'm not really stuck on any puzzles or anything. I just met everybody, and now nothing's happening. I've seriously gone through every room and examined, used, and otherwise interacted with everything in the room. In the words of so many adventure games before... "Nothing happens..."
ESPER

Re: hmmm

Postby steve the gaming guy » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:41 pm

ESPER wrote:Hmmm. I can't really say how I'm stuck... I'm not really stuck on any puzzles or anything. I just met everybody, and now nothing's happening. I've seriously gone through every room and examined, used, and otherwise interacted with everything in the room. In the words of so many adventure games before... "Nothing happens..."

Shoot...I ran into the same thing. Off the top of my head, I don't recall what part you need to do first. Are you still on Day One? It sounds like it. Once you get past Day One, it gets a tad easier I think.
steve the gaming guy

not sure

Postby ESPER » Fri Jan 21, 2005 5:24 am

Not sure... either day one or I've just woken up on day two... I haven't tried it for a while. BTW, have you noticed how dead this place's been for the past week or so?
ESPER

Re: not sure

Postby steve the gaming guy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:14 pm

ESPER wrote:Not sure... either day one or I've just woken up on day two... I haven't tried it for a while. BTW, have you noticed how dead this place's been for the past week or so?

It's just because everyone's too busy playing the first two games of 2005. Ok, so I'm high hoping... :lol:
steve the gaming guy

PreviousNext

Return to Game Announcements and Feedback