2 questions from a beginner...

For help with creating games using Quest

Moderators: Pertex, Cryophile, Alex, sgreig

Re: 2 questions from a beginner...

Postby Pertex » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:59 pm

Hmmm, go to the use/give tab of your object and select the action "use a script" in the "use(on its own)" section
Pertex

Postby Thierry » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Yeah, that's what I did before asking you, but it doesn't change anything. It seems that as long as "use" verb is written in "display verbs" of the object, the sub-menu with "use" appears. And if I delete this verb from "display verbs", I get an error message when I click on the object...
I think the problem is : how to tell Quest to automatically call the "use" function when I click on the hyperlink of my object ? I didn't find the answer yet :(
Thierry

Postby Pertex » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:49 am

Strange, I don't have problems with it. Could you create and append a test game with one room and one object, showing your problem?
Pertex

Postby Thierry » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:15 pm

Thank you very much Pertex ! I'll upload a test game tonight to show you what happens :wink:
Thierry

Postby Thierry » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:24 pm

OK, so here is a very little game to show you my problem. When you click on the "key" hyperlink, it displays a sub-menu with "use". Then you click on "use" and it will display "you have used the key" (I have selected "use a script" in the use/give menu and added a very simple "print" script).
What I'd like to do is displaying "you have used the key" just by clicking on the "key" hyperlink, without having the sub-menu before :wink:

Thank you by advance !
Attachments
Game.aslx
(708 Bytes) Downloaded 31 times
Thierry

Postby Pertex » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:27 pm

OK, I am getting old. Now I got it. It's not possible to work without the submenu ... at the moment. I think this could be done, exits do have this direct link. But direct links for objects are not very user-friendly, you don't know what will happen with that object. If you find some poison, it could be possible to take it into the inventory or to drink it. So the user does not know, what will happen if he click this link
Pertex

Postby Thierry » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:50 pm

OK Pertex, thank you for the explanations ! I thought that was quite impossible too... Anyway, I have found a way to link each of my object to (at least) two verbs, so that the sub-menu will always be useful :wink: And you're right, objects with just one interaction aren't so user-friendly, so I will change my mind and my game should be more complex and interesting now.

And... by the way... May I ask you another question ? :mrgreen: I'm using the "showpicture" script, but is it possible to tweak it to center the displayed picture ? I've tried an expression like "<align align=\"center\">"picture.jpg"</align>" (that's the one used in the "print centered message" script), but it returns an error message... Why am I so bad with scripts ? :(
Thierry

Postby Pertex » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 am

Centering pictures with show images is not possible yet, but there is an issue for the next version:
http://quest.codeplex.com/workitem/1067

Perhaps you could use the frame picture. This is aways printed centered
Pertex

Postby Thierry » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:00 pm

Yeah, I use "frame picture" for the room picture, but here I wanted to display a little picture inside the text window, which doesn't erase the room picture. But that's OK for the moment, as the picture is displayed where I want to... For centering, I'll wait for the 5.3 version :wink:
Thierry

Postby Thierry » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:40 pm

Another thing which is I think impossible to do, and which could be useful for the next version : the possibility to have different colors (and fonts) for objects hyperlinks and exits hyperlinks. Or is it already possible to do that in Quest 5.2 ?
Thierry

Postby Pertex » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:17 pm

No, thats not possible and I think this will not be done in the next version :D
Pertex

Postby Thierry » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Oh, too bad... I thought that would be more user-friendly for the player. Anyway, I will go on without this feature :wink:
Thierry

Postby Thierry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:07 pm

Pertex, i think I have a new challenge for you :mrgreen: I wanted to add a displayable menu with several entries when I click on one of my exits. I did it by creating a string list and using the "show a menu" script. It works very well, but I'm a bit disappointed by the way the menu displays itself : a pop-up window which comes in the middle of the game window, hiding most of the text behind.
Is there any way to get a "sub-menu like" display, like when you click on an object hyperlink to choose the verb you want to execute ? I find it much more efficient and sober...

Thank you very much :wink:
Thierry

Postby Pertex » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:37 pm

What can be chosen in your menu? Verbs?
Pertex

Postby Thierry » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm

Yes, that's a menu with verbs. But in fact, that's just some text lines that I have added with "menulist" variable, and the "show menu" script does all the work after. I mean, it doesn't refer to any traditionnal actions like "use", "take", "open", etc. Hope these precisions will help you :mrgreen:
Thierry

PreviousNext

Return to Quest Forum