Absolutely the most basic questions

For help with creating games using Quest

Moderators: Pertex, Alex, sgreig, Cryophile

Re: Absolutely the most basic questions

Postby timetolose » Thu May 31, 2012 4:14 pm

Unfortunately, I get an error on Quest 5.2.

I have this:
questError.JPG
I want this
questError.JPG (106.03 KiB) Viewed 377 times

And I get this error:
QuestError2.JPG
QuestError2.JPG (65.98 KiB) Viewed 377 times

Please help
timetolose

Postby Alex » Thu May 31, 2012 4:22 pm

You need to move all the stuff underneath your "wait" inside it, otherwise it will run immediately.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby timetolose » Thu May 31, 2012 4:36 pm

Thank you!
timetolose

Postby TriangleGames » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:58 am

Hi, this is my first post here, and this is exactly the topic I was looking for. However, I am using the WebEditor. I've tried too many crazy ideas to remember them all. Is there gonna be any way for me to do this right now? Also, can you confirm for me whether the WebEditer is a beta of 5.3 or an older version?

P.S.: I saw quest like a year ago, dabbled with it for a few minutes, then played "Things That Go Bump..." until I was devoured by moths. I meant to do more with it, but I always have many projects going on, and I forgot all about it. Then about a week ago I was hunting for text games on my phone, and what do you know, I came across that same game! I played it obsessively until I beat it twice, and now I'm getting into Quest again. I use the WebEditor so I can work on it here and there all day through my phone.
TriangleGames

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:52 am

What are you looking to do exactly? The WebEditor is running v5.3, so you can safely use "wait" inside a script that runs when entering a room etc.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby TriangleGames » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Sorry for my poor etiquette at 3am, I plead lack of sleep. Now that I'm awake I figured it out, and the story's kinda funny.

To explain better, I wrote a rather verbose intro and wanted to use "wait" to break it up. I was trying to do it VERY wrong. My last idea was to use the script command "Run a script returned by an expression" to enter code for "wait" without entirely understanding what I was doing.

At any rate, after a solid one and a half hour sleep, I awoke with a new suspicion, which I have now confirmed by going to the WebEditor on my PC. The problem is my phone. When I use my phone's web-browser to access the Quest WebEditor it does not display correctly. Among other things, the list of options for Output in the New Script dialog box adds extra space between lines and stops at "Print a list," because there's no more room at the bottom of the box. Which means that I couldn't see (and cannot use from my phone) "Wait for key press." So I spent about three hours last night trying to figure out some other way of doing it, because I didn't even know that there was a functional Wait command available.

So the lesson is, anyone trying to use the WebEditor from a phone should at least look at it on their computer so they can know whether it's displaying properly or not.
TriangleGames

Postby Alex » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Thanks for the explanation :)

I should probably do something to make WebEditor work better on phones. It works well on an iPad but I've not really tested it much with anything smaller, as I didn't really expect people to be using it that way.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby TriangleGames » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:12 pm

The small screen is certainly less convenient, but having it in my pocket all the time makes me use it for everything. I can add a room while in line for coffee. :)
As soon as I finished "Things That Go Bump..." I searched for a Quest phone app, but the WebEditor mostly makes that unnecessary.
TriangleGames

Postby HegemonKhan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 am

quick question:

we can use multiple same level ' Wait ' scripts, without the error, if we use the ' On Ready ' function, if I understand correctly?

As the error comes from it trying to run the next ' Wait ' pause+script, while the first ' Wait ' pause+script is still in progress, is this correct?
HegemonKhan

Postby TriangleGames » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:40 pm

I've had some strange things happen while trying to figure out how to use 'on ready' to make consecutive 'wait' commands work in the WebEditor. I tried several indirect methods involving expressions, because just using a new script for 'call function' and typing in 'on ready' kept resulting in an error of "can't find function." I wasn't really sure what to enter as a parameter. Eventually, I did this...

New Script, Call Function, "on ready"...
onreadyP1.JPG
onreadyP1.JPG (35.19 KiB) Viewed 265 times

Then, I entered a parameter as: <script> </script>
I pushed enter and got, "Sorry, internal error."
It then reloaded the WebEditor and presented me with this...
onreadyP2.JPG
onreadyP2.JPG (13.88 KiB) Viewed 265 times

I don't understand what happened, but great! There's my 'on ready' script.
But, when I try to nest another 'wait' command inside of 'on ready,' the continue button for the wait never appears, and the game just seems to lock up. So ... I still don't get it.
TriangleGames

Postby Alex » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm

You don't need to use "on ready" at all. Just put your second wait command inside the script for the first. Then it will be triggered afterwards.
Alex
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Quest Forum