More suggestions...

For help with creating games using Quest

Moderators: Pertex, Alex, sgreig, Cryophile

More suggestions...

Postby The Pixie » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Some minor things, but they would make things easier.

1. List objects alphabetically

2. The ability to move exits in a script (they do not get listed, even when given a name). This may well be possible in XML. Moving an exit would be an alternative to creating one; say if the exit has scripts it will be easier this way.

3. When you right click on a object in the right pane, a delete option would be nice.

4. A way to list stats about the adventure - number of rooms, number of characters, number of items, average words per room.

5. This may be asking rather more, but a spell checker would be good. Alternatively, an export to plain text, so a file with XML removed can be loaded into Word for spell checking.
The Pixie

Re: More suggestions...

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:28 am

1. Objects are now listed alphabetically in drop-downs - this is fixed by issue #803 so will be in the next release.

2. If the exit has a name, you can update its parent attribute: myexit.parent = some new room

3. Good idea. Logged http://quest.codeplex.com/workitem/834. Not a priority for this release unless someone else wants to implement it. Open to other suggestions for adding to the menu, maybe cut/copy?

4. Might be interesting for some people I suppose... logged http://quest.codeplex.com/workitem/835 for a future release.

5. There is basic spell checking functionality built in to WPF so this should be do-able. Logged for a future release: http://quest.codeplex.com/workitem/836
Alex
Site Admin

Postby The Pixie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:45 pm

Cool.

More suggests

Items that can be turned on and off can be set to only change when held.

In the built-in verbs you have "wear" but not "remove", which seems an odd omission.

I am wondering how to do clothes, and one way would be to have a container as a child of the player; done that way, it would be good if the contents of that contained then appeared as a separate inventory list at the right, with a heading "Being worn" or whatever.

Another approach for clothes would be to change the state. This is already virtually done for turning on and off, and I would guess someone more knowledgeable than me could get this to work with the system as it is, however, it would be great if this too was built in.

Thus, my suggestion is that the options tab has four option:
Not switchable
Switchable
Switchable only when worn
Wearable

I apologise for giving you yet more work (but wearing items is a common feature of text adventures).
The Pixie

Postby Alex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:54 pm

Would be good to have a "wearable items" library I think, any volunteers?

What sort of thing would be switchable only when worn?
Alex
Site Admin

Postby The Pixie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm

I meant held not worn for switchable items. Sorry.

If I knew about libraries, I would be happy to help. Is there a good reference that would teach me? I very first experience of Quest was five days ago, so while I am happy to learn, I do not know much at this point.

By the way, I could not upload an image to the Wiki.
The Pixie

Postby Pertex » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:30 pm

Libraries are external containerfiles for objects, functions and so on, which you can use from the main file. I added my scorecounter-library, so you can see the structure of it. score_lib.aslx is the libraryfile, scoring.aslx is the game-file (see the walkthrough!).
Important: you cant open the library in Quest. Use an external texteditor to open it.
Attachments
scoring.rar
(1.54 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Pertex

Postby The Pixie » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:17 pm

Okay, so that is trivial.

I am happy to give this a go, but that may well mean I am nagging you guys with even more questions (in the long term I will be better equipped for the next thing).

To get the ball rolling; there seems to be no way to change the name of an object during play (attempting to do so generates an error), so appending "(being worn)" is not going to be easy.

Is there a way to set up a second inventory box for items worn? Or, can the inventory behaviour be modified so it lists worn items differently? Where do I find how that is handled?
The Pixie

Postby Pertex » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:34 am

The Pixie wrote:To get the ball rolling; there seems to be no way to change the name of an object during play (attempting to do so generates an error), so appending "(being worn)" is not going to be easy.

:D very easy. Just change the alias: object.alias=object.alias + "(being worn)"

The Pixie wrote:Is there a way to set up a second inventory box for items worn? Or, can the inventory behaviour be modified so it lists worn items differently? Where do I find how that is handled?

Perhaps you could use the box for status variables
Pertex

Postby The Pixie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:56 pm

Okay, I have created a type that is weartable and can be inherited from, but I cannot get it to load as a library. I followed what you did, Pertex, in score, and Quest is trying to open the right file, but objects to it not being a library.

Code: Select all
Included file 'Clothing_lib.aslx' is not a library

As far as I can see, score_lib.aslx is just XML enclosed in "library" tags; is there something else to it? I checked score still works after the new version, and that loads fine.
The Pixie

Postby Alex » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:13 pm

The <library> element must be the first element in the aslx file.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby Pertex » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:57 pm

It could be a problem with the encoding. Make sure that the lib is saved as UTF-8
Pertex

Postby The Pixie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:26 pm

I had a comment at the top of the file, and that threw it.

So I have a library, and a very quick test adventure; how do I submit it?
The Pixie

Postby Alex » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:59 am

You can email it to me, or maybe it's better to attach it here so people can play with it first. When it's ready, I'll set up a new area on the site and/or wiki.
Alex
Site Admin

Postby The Pixie » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:30 pm

Another suggestion:

assertions for walkthroughs

Unit test your game!
The Pixie

Postby Alex » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 pm

Yes, that is something I've had in the back of my mind. Would be great for testing Quest itself as well!

Logged: http://quest.codeplex.com/workitem/845
Alex
Site Admin

Next

Return to Quest Forum