Return to the Court

For announcing and discussing games, getting feedback, asking for hints

Moderators: Pertex, Alex, sgreig, Cryophile, jaynabonne

Dr.Froth

Return to the Court

Postby Dr.Froth » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:06 pm

A while ago (like last year) I had an idea for "The Court of Games."

Perhaps this idea is worth looking into again.

Of course, things are different now that you can upload a game right to textadventures with no waiting period.

Hey DavidW, I thought I read that Adrift has a section for incomplete and beginner games in its archive. Is that true? Maybe we could do that.

What if we made a section of textadventrues for newbie games and unfinished stuff. That way the author can still put his game up on the site (even if it sucks). The minute somebody with moderation abilities figures out that the game is incomplete or "a practice game" then they would just move it over from the main game list to the other list.

If you disable the rating system on the "newbie" list then you avoid much of the crap that we are enduring right now.

I would be more than willing to take up the job of weeding through the current games on the site and moving the ones that needed to be moved to the new list. Hell, I'd even keep up with it after that on a weekly basis.

That seems more fair than my first idea of only allowing registered users to put up their games.

What do you think of that idea?

davidw

Postby davidw » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:18 pm

There's a demos section on the main Adrift site which is meant to be for tutorial programs on how do certain things with Adrift. Unfortunately, it just tends to get used for half done games that people couldn't be bothered to finish. Still, at least it keeps them away from the proper games.

Dr.Froth

Postby Dr.Froth » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:22 pm

O.K. Good. That is what we need here.

A way to keep actual games in a place away from "newbie madness" and "joke" games.

I still think there should be no way to review or vote on the "non-game" games.

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:49 pm

We could take that a step further and put games into genres, that would also give a clue as to what a game is like and make it easier to find a game you want to play.

I say the 'court of games' or a moderator/reviewing team is a good idea. Perhaps games go into a 'to be reviewed' section first and once reviewed are given a category to go into and an initial rating. What you guys think?

I'm fully volunteering to do this btw, I've already started to review some games and will continue to do so when I have free time. I should work more on my Yuletide game though.... lol.

Alex
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:17 pm

What if we made a section of textadventrues for newbie games and unfinished stuff. That way the author can still put his game up on the site (even if it sucks). The minute somebody with moderation abilities figures out that the game is incomplete or "a practice game" then they would just move it over from the main game list to the other list.

If you disable the rating system on the "newbie" list then you avoid much of the crap that we are enduring right now.

I really like this idea. I've been pondering some kind of category system for a while, so if there are volunteers willing to categorise the existing games in the archive, as well as new games as they come in, then I'm all for it.

I'm stupendously busy with real life at the moment though so it may be a little while before I implement this. I might do it if I get bored over Christmas maybe...

Dr.Froth

Postby Dr.Froth » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 pm

If you make the area for "newbie" and "practice" games I will be more than happy to go through the games and move the ones that need to be there onto the list as well as update it on a weekly basis.

Please, if we are going to do this, disable the ratings on the "practice" list. I think that will avoid much trouble in the future.

Freak

Postby Freak » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:13 pm

Suggestion: Call the newbie/practice area "Slush Pile".

davidw

Postby davidw » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:16 pm

You seem to like the phrase "slush pile" :wink:

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:56 am

I'm offering to sort through the games too... Are you going to put in other catergories which are more like genres too? And let's not call it 'sluch pile', rather 'unfinished/test' or similar. We don't want to insult the new people who may turn into valuable additions to our community.

This is scarely, I've just realised I'm the moral voice of this forum....

Alex
Site Admin

Postby Alex » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:06 pm

Yes I think we should have categories/genres too.

Does anybody have ideas for a list?

davidw

Postby davidw » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:31 pm

‘Slush pile’ isn't really an insulting phrase. I think it comes from the book publishing world where novels submitted to publishers are put in what's called a slush pile until they can be read through and deemed worthy or not worthy.

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:59 pm

They may not see it that way.

Genres/Categories:
* Science Fiction.
* Fantasy.
* Real world.
* Historical.
* Educational.
* Horror.
* Competions (sub cat's for each comp, perhaps).
* Online.
* Unfinished / Demos.
* To sort (if using moderators to sort, etc insteed of people as they put them up).

Also you should be able to select multiple categories, and they appear in the list for both categories. Each game should also list all the categories it's under.

As well as age listing in case of adult content, such as voilence, drug use, swearing, graphic stuff (you know what I mean) and horror themes. Age listing could be:
* All: nothing bad.
* 12+: some mild voilence.
* 15+: medium voilence, lesser swearing, small horror.
* 18+: bad voilence, real swearing, horror and hanky-panky.
Or make them check check-boxes for what content is in their game (voilence, swearing, drugs, etc) and these appear as another list, or as symbols next to the name.

Example may be:
HavenHold. By Elexxorine. Uploaded: ##/##/####.
Description.............
Cat: online, sci-fi, fantasy, horror. Age: 15+ (for voilence, mild horror).
DOWNLOAD [Size: ###kb (zip)]
Stuff in italics would be links, the category links go to that category's listing, the age link goes to a page explain what each age rating means.

steve the gaming guy

Postby steve the gaming guy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:21 pm

...and don't forget my favorite genre.... comedy. :P

Michael The Gamer

Postby Michael The Gamer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:36 am

davidw wrote:There's a demos section on the main Adrift site which is meant to be for tutorial programs on how do certain things with Adrift. Unfortunately, it just tends to get used for half done games that people couldn't be bothered to finish. Still, at least it keeps them away from the proper games.

When I first went to the website in Adrift and When to a tab called adventures I thought the demo was half done games but when I found out I got really confused :?
But finially I found this post

I think I got a suggestion:
Link to come soon!

Michael The Gamer

Postby Michael The Gamer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:54 am

elexxorine wrote:They may not see it that way.

Genres/Categories:
* Science Fiction.
* Fantasy.
* Real world.
* Historical.
* Educational.
* Horror.
* Competions (sub cat's for each comp, perhaps).
* Online.
* Unfinished / Demos.
* To sort (if using moderators to sort, etc insteed of people as they put them up).

Also you should be able to select multiple categories, and they appear in the list for both categories. Each game should also list all the categories it's under.

As well as age listing in case of adult content, such as voilence, drug use, swearing, graphic stuff (you know what I mean) and horror themes. Age listing could be:
* All: nothing bad.
* 12+: some mild voilence.
* 15+: medium voilence, lesser swearing, small horror.
* 18+: bad voilence, real swearing, horror and hanky-panky.
Or make them check check-boxes for what content is in their game (voilence, swearing, drugs, etc) and these appear as another list, or as symbols next to the name.

Example may be:
HavenHold. By Elexxorine. Uploaded: ##/##/####.
Description.............
Cat: online, sci-fi, fantasy, horror. Age: 15+ (for voilence, mild horror).
DOWNLOAD [Size: ###kb (zip)]
Stuff in italics would be links, the category links go to that category's listing, the age link goes to a page explain what each age rating means.

I could be a Moderator or/and maybe I could be a host of Competions

Like:
Games for 2008 Summer Competion
In this competion we have (no.) games
1. (game name) by (author)
2. (game name) by (author)
and so on

{download} ##kb
Rate games in this poll
(link)

The game that have won in 2008 Summer Competion is ...
1st - (game name) by (authors name)
and so on

Return to “Game Announcements and Feedback”