Dragonblood - Legacy of Talazarn

Karbrae
Hey everyone.

Struggling to make an RPG called Dragonblood: Legacy of Talazarn.

If you'd like to join me for the ride, you're more than welcome.

Playtesting and feedback would be much appreciated.

I haven't gotten that far yet. I have made the character creation, the introduction part, and parts of the first town and first dungeon.

Hope you will enjoy what I've got so far and that you will be interested in following the game as it is developed.

Kind regards,
Karbrae

Edit: Oh yeah the link http://play.textadventures.co.uk/Play.a ... blood.aslx :)

XanMag
The intro looks very nice. I cannot do anything in the first room, however. Maybe I am missing something?

I looted the chest and wore the coat and slept (a lot). If I try to go any direction using the cardinal directions I get 'you can't go there' and if I type 'go north' or 'go south' I get error messages. I don't see any direction available to leave the room. Help me out!

I do really like the intro and I will be glad to be a tester. Let me know when it updates and I'll jump right in! Good luck!

Karbrae
Hey.

You should be able to leave the room with the leave command, either typing it in the command bar or accessing a clickable leave command from the help option that should be visible in the first room.

Let me know if it works or not and thanks.

HegemonKhan
awesome, an RPG (HK loves RPGs) !

If I can be of any help, I'd be glad to help you, though I'm still learning to code better (my own RPG I still just working on the character creation, lol), and at least for 2 more months, I won't be able to help (2 more months of school left, very busy with school work: 2 programming classes, 3 classes total, and they all decided to dump everything on me these last two months, argh), or even better, if you don't mind, I'd love to see your game code, as the more code the better, for my own learning, laughs. You can take a look at some of the code I've done so far, see the 'libraries and code samples' forum-board, you can see some of my work on character creation there, 'HK's character creation guide' or something like that.

What type of RPG ?, tell your plans for the game! :D

Karbrae
Hey HegemonKhan

Well first of all I'm not a coder myself and I'm working with the online version of quest so I don't know how to get the game code. I'm just kinda figuring it out as I go, googling answers to my problems (I believe an answer to one of those questions were actually given by you, don't remember which one exactly) and sometimes the answers work, sometimes they don't and I have to search some more or play around with it until I find a way to do something similar to what I wanted (I think some of the answers only work if you copy the code directly into the offline version's game code file or something, lol as you can hear I'm clearly no genious when it comes to the coding part, but I really enjoy when I put in some code and it works though.)

It's going to be an RPG where you adventure (do quests and explore varied environments such as towns, wilderness areas, and dungeonss) and also build yourself up as a power in an empire torn apart by civil war (the idea is you'll be able to pick multiple sides in the conflict). You start out clearing out and claiming for yourself a ruined keep in a small backwater town which used to belong to your father (further back you are descended from the dragon who founded the aforementioned empire of Antyris where the game takes place, same as the current emperor.) I think that pretty much sums it up.

HegemonKhan
ah, my bad, you seemed like you knew programming from your post about your game, laughs.

Your game sounds awesome, can't wait to see its progression!

XanMag
When I teleport, I get a blank screen (no text). Is that as far as you have gotten so far?

Karbrae
@HegemonKhan I will keep you updated on its progress :) In the last couple of days, not much has happened. Today though I have added an NPC to the first tavern, a dwarven pilgrim voice acted by a friend.

@XanMag There's a 'wait until sound has finished playing' thing there. As soon as the teleportation sound has finished it should take you to Meadowstead.

lir
Found a bug, in the very first room (well, I didn't type 'leave' but something else):

Error running script: Error compiling expression 'HasScript(exit, "look")': Unknown object or variable 'exit'

Apart from that, I'm sorry if this sounds discouraging, but I have a feeling that you are focusing too much on mechanics and too little on the actual story. I don't think people play text games for the former, there are many better ways to indulge in numbers. I'm not saying that text-based-RPG don't make sense, but maybe there are too many skills, stats and spells? I just can't imagine you will be able to find good use for all of them, and if you wanted too, it would require a gargantuan effort. In other words: maybe try quality over quantity?

Then again, maybe you know what you're doing and considered all of the above. If so, then just ignore me.

davidw
Actually I felt pretty much the same way. By the time I'd clicked my way through the umpteenth character creation menu, I felt exhausted.

Karbrae
Thanks for the feedback lir and davidw. Will definitely take what you've said into consideration.

XanMag
I did not hear a sound though. Will try again tonight!

HegemonKhan
if you're going to have a long character creation process... you should have other options too (though this is more work for you to implement these alternative methods for people to choose on how to create their character), for example, for my own RPG ideas:

how do you want to create your character?

(from longest process to shortest)

1. "custom/manual" (the long, actually longest, character creation process, as you're choosing every aspect of your character. Most control, but longest obviously)

2. "questionaire/survey", you're asked questions, and based on your decisions, character aspect choices are made for you. for example, there's that online questionaire/survey that decides your "character class", which people like to put into their sigs. Another example is from Ogrebattle series: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (Ogrebattle: TO: LUCT): http://luct.tacticsogre.com/inquisition.html

3. "random", a character is randomly generated for you. (technicallly, this is probably faster than you trying to decide which pre-built character to choose, lol. So this should be #4 and the 'pre-built' should be #3)

4. "pre-built", you simply choose a pre-built character.

Karbrae
@HegemonKhan

I'll probably do something similar. Currently considering starting all over.

HegemonKhan
you can take a look at my own long manual/custom character creation process, hehe:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4988 (Crude Character Creation by HK)

if you want ideas, at least

I've been busy (school), but I'm still working on implementing a character creation process myself, having figured a way to do a pedia system, but I got a lot of work to do to get the alternative creation methods added in, and the entire character creation done, lots of things to still figure out, as character creation involves a lot of what are your game's core stats/attributes, and how it plays or is built around designs of those attributes/stats of your characters.