Mazecraft - An endless labyrinth and my 1st real game!

lightwriter
Mazecraft is a game where it loads a randomly generated labyrinth and fits in the rogue-like dungeon crawlers where your goal is to survive but it's quit difficult (for now)
Mazecraft is currently in ALPHA and has many features still to come:
-More mobs
-more items
-Durability to weapons
-Armor
-more weapons
-puzzles
-Features players want or suggest
Try what I have so far here: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... raft-alpha
I consider this to be my first actual game since it's actually playable.

HaganeSteel
This is a really great and well-executed idea so far. I made something similar to this over a year ago.

Design-wise, I can offer some advice and direction:

-Don't do durability. Please don't put your players through that.

-I've noticed that the maze stops abruptly at dead ends. This may be intentional, but you may want to make it less random.

-Enemies can attack you as you enter a room - before you can respond.

-The game can be kind of a crapshoot. I spent a lot of time running away from enemies and searching for a chest with a wooden sword in it because I couldn't handle the enemies without it.

-Only one enemy should spawn in a room.

-Beware of players being able to spam the "Attack" button. It can cause Quest to bug. To fix this, I gave each enemy a "dead" attribute (boolean), which began at "false." Under the enemy's "changedHP" script, I set "dead" to "true" immediately as the enemy's HP reached 0. Then under the "Attack" script, I gave them an "if" condition. If enemy.dead = false, then execute the attack script. Else say, "That enemy is dead."

-Lastly, I think the damage formulas and stats should be somewhat more complicated. Adding a GetRandom(1,3) to the player's damage can go a long way toward helping the game's balance.

lightwriter
Thanks for the feedback, I will be releasing an update in a few minutes! Stay tuned! :)

HegemonKhan
if you want a quick look at some combat ideas~scripting formats (along with also checking out Pixie's Combat Library, Pertex' Combat Library, Chase's Wearables~Equipment Library, Sora's Stackable~Item Library, and etc):

(beware though: this is very old code, stupidly used abrevs, and has some errors~bugs and uber poor design, and I messed up on the elemental damage vs elemental resistance abrevs...)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3348&start=120#p22483 (HK's old basic combat code based upon Pertex' design~structure)

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3348&start=120#p22486 (the post with the key~legend for all of my abrevs)

---------------------------

and here's this RPG aspects resource collection~consolidation, I started long ago and haven't touched it for a long time (at some point I'll add more to this ~ anyone is quite welcome to add to it as well, of course:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3876

also, while this isn't the best design, maybe it can be of help to you, as you're doing a D&D~RPG, game, at the very least, it may give you some ideas:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4988

:D (I'll love to play your game, if-when I ever get the time, sighs. HK loves RPGs. I really liked Might and Magic: 4:Xeen, 5:Darkside, and ?6?Xeen+Darkside, as one of the few D&D-like games I've played. Also, you may want to check out: Shadowgate and Maniac Mansion, both for the NES, for some possible ideas from them)

lightwriter
I'm trying to create this without using any libraries...

XanMag
I like the concept. Kind of like the old school dungeon crawler type games. Perhaps have multiple dungeons that can be accessed after some lower level dungeon has been conquered or some task within completed. Of course, this coding is beyond what I understand and have no clue how difficult that might be. I look forward to a completed game. Keep us updated.

HaganeSteel
That's easy. A simple boolean can do the trick.

Instead of moving the player to the dungeon, use a script on the exit object.

If whatever.whatever = true, then move the player object. Else say, "You haven't completed the whatever-quest to access this dungeon."

Doing a full-fledged RPG would be easier than Carrion Fire. In Carrion Fire, I needed different zombie objects for every room, which opened the doors for a lot of bugs. For a game like Mazecraft, you would only need one enemy object per type. The same "rat" enemy can be used multiple times by sending it to an inaccessible room upon death and restoring its HP, then moving it to the current room when a battle starts.

Terragon, my next game in Quest, will be a game like Mazecraft. I'm going to try to make mine a wireframe dungeon crawler if I can.

I have to find the motivation to do it. I've been ill, and that's why I've been hanging around here, helping you guys.

This is coming along really great, Lightwriter.

One last thing. Just to let you know, this can happen:

Trapped.png

lightwriter
Thanks for the feedback, everybody! Yes, I am aware of the bug where the first room has no exits. I'm thinking maybe a script that checks to see if there isn't at least 1 exit from the room and creates one if found true.
Anyone have any idea how I can get a seed system working?

John_Daily
I had this experience on my first time running it:

You are at 0,0,0.
You can go north, east, west or up.

> go to north

You are in a 0,1,0.
You can go south, north or west.

> go to north

You are in a 0,2,0.
You can see a Chest.
You can go south, east or west.

> open Chest
You open it.

> look at Chest
Nothing out of the ordinary.

> look in chest
I don't understand your command.

> examine chest
Error running script: Error evaluating expression 'LCase(GetDisplayAlias(obj))': Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
I can't see that.

lightwriter
Any Minecraft fans on here? If so, I have a Minecraft version of this right here: http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/ma ... ed-maze-in