Living Nightmare: My First Game

InfectedBehaviour
A friend introduced me to Quest and I'm loving how easy it is.

Living Nightmare is about:

A little girl named Kathy is troubled by an unknown presence that's haunting her and playing with her mind. Eventually this unknown presence causes bigger problems at a mall that Kathy is at.

Since this is going to be a horror game, I'm using a very sensitive topic to help create an awareness towards this sort of sick behaviour.

I got inspired to do my own horror game by playing games such as:

AliceMare
Ao Oni
Corpse Party
Desert Nightmare
flow
Ib
I'm Scared
Lisa The First
Mad Father
Mermaid Swamp
Misao
Schuld (Guilty)
The Mirror Lied
The Witch's House
Yume Nikki

Although this game I'm working on won't have a lot of pictures or graphics since I'm really not into how great a game looks but more into the story of the game.

At the moment I'm working on my fourth scene. Took me three months to finally get past the first to third scenes that I had to keep going back to for bug issues or forgetting to add or to change something in them. There is going to be roughly about six to ten scenes, depending how the story progresses and if I decide to change or add something to this game.

There's going to be three to four different endings as well.

I didn't realize how frustrating it is to try and come up with puzzles for a game :mrgreen: I take my hat off to those that have successfully added them into their own games.

I'll try update my progress here once or twice a month.

XanMag
Please add me to your list of beta-testers once you are ready to release a trial to the "privates". I'd be glad to give it a go and give you my opinion.

Good luck and Happy Gaming!

XanMag

InfectedBehaviour
Thanks I'll keep you in mind. I already have three beta-testers and different opinions is always good to have.

InfectedBehaviour
I've made more progress on my game. Took me a while to get the information I needed, make pictures for what I needed them for and the pharmacy section is almost complete.

After that I'll continue with the next bit.

I've also come up with some interesting ideas to implement into my puzzles. Since I thought the original puzzle was to easy and making it a bit more challenging.

Till the next update. :D

InfectedBehaviour
Since I found more time, I'll explain more about the Living Nightmare.

I loved playing the old click and point games when I was a kid. Even though Quest is not a click and point game maker. I decided since the text adventure is similar to how a click and point game works. That's exactly what I'm aiming for.

Since this is my first text adventure game and working on it being a long game that might take the player two weeks or more to finish. I sat down and thought about how other games gave a challenge and or stretched their game to being a longer game to finish.

I finally realized that, Even with a good story and a lot of dialog. Puzzles is the key to creating more time within any game.

I came up with an idea, Thanks to my old favourite game Diablo. Since in Diablo the maps are always different when ever you started a new game.
Some key items within my puzzles, Will not always be found in the same place. Though there will be hints given out to the player by talking to other characters and or the old method of trial and error to finding the key item(s) for that puzzle.

I would love telling everyone more about the story but I really dislike spoilers and I'm sure some may feel the same way. Though what I will say and it will be referring to my first post here.

What touchy subject have I chosen?

Well since it happens a lot in my country, I decided to try build an awareness towards child abuse, rape and things a long those lines. It's sad that things like this happens in the world but all we can do is try and support the victims by teaching others that this is wrong. This is also why I am putting this game in the horror genre, Since putting it in comedy or any other genre would not be very appropriate, Well in my point of view.

If anyone has any questions or like to give ideas towards other puzzles or anything else. Please feel free to post here.

I hope some of you are looking forward to playing the Living Nightmare when it is ready to be released.
Front Cover for Pharmacy Handbook.jpg
Front Cover for Pharmacy Handbook copy.jpg
Living Nightmare PNG Completed_e.jpg

InfectedBehaviour
I'm about 80% near finishing the Pharmacy part of the game. Though that would only bring it to 10% for the game it's self lol.

Currently I'm working on a Medicine Machine that basically creates a new medicine for the player to use or to give to someone.

There are 44 different medicines.

10 recipes for 10 new medicines.

I've made labels for all of them and have added them all to the game. The only thing left now is to get the Medicine Machine to work properly and only then I'll finally be able to move on.

I also made my own maps for the game. The maps below, I created for an example for myself to get ideas from and what other stores and or places I wanted the character to go to.

Until my next update.
Floor 1.1.jpg
Floor 1.2.jpg
Floor 1.3.jpg

InfectedBehaviour
I finally started working on other rooms and other characters while also still busy with the Pharmacy. I kinda had another idea and gave myself extra work for the Pharmacy lol. I realized once the medicine is used, There wouldn't be away to get it back. So I thought up a solution for the player to work out on how to get the medicine refilled. This also would work well since if the player used up the main ingredients for a recipe, They would need away to get the medicine back. So that's going to take time to put in.

I've also started working on a Game Manual for the game and when it's ready, It will be in PDF format and I'll post it here or on my friend's website. Since I'm going to be posting my game here and there. The only reason why I'm making a Game Manual is because new people that have no knowledge of text adventure games, Would never realise to type "help", So I'm solving that issue by doing this.

I also had a little problem with my Mall Announcements that I didn't notice before but I fixed that now. Seems I'm the only one using timers in a completely different way lol. If it works, I'm happy.

Plus most of the conversations in this game are only run by timers and I'm happy with that.

I'm quite shocked to how much I've done so far since I took a three day break from this project. When I finally had a clear mind, I was able to do a lot more than I did before. Also during that three day break, I came up with three other puzzle ideas and already put in one of them and will soon add the other two. Just wish there was a quicker way to spot an error than to always testing the game.

I've also by luck came up with four other game story ideas for other games that I hope I will work on when this project is finished. Not to mention also helping my friend by testing his games and helping him with game descriptions for his games lol. Since one day we want to work and make other games together. Basically he wants to use my stories for his games and it's my job to come up with every little detail for the story, characters and dialog.

Anyway until my next update. Cheers all.