Guardian (short Sci-Fi game)

adt94
Hey guys, just finished beta-ing my first game. It's a short little psychological sci-fi thing and it would be awesome if a couple of people checked it out. It should be a quick play - no large scope stuff. (The robot actually came from a nightmare I had when I was younger. It's friendlier now!)

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... w/guardian

XanMag
Sorry. I should have placed my comments here. See your game screen for my comments, especially since chub fight is pushing meaningful comments and reviews further down the list. :x

XanMag
And please ask if you need help with anything.

adt94
Thanks very much for playing and for your comments!

Is there a proper ending? I 'lie on bed' and my game ends but couldn't find anything else to do.

Nope, if you've already told the robot about the photos, you've done all you needed to do. It's quite a short game, and game's probably too loose a term for it anyway...

1. You probably ought to remove vanquished items from the game. I vanquished mom, but she was still there. Same with the dog and the teacher. It's simple to do... just create a dead room and move the objects to the dead room once they are vanquished.

This is the one suggestion I won't jump straight on, because I wanted to keep those vanquished objects in the game specifically - I wanted them to stay put once they were dead, rather than disappear. Is this still alright if this was my intention? Thank you for the tip though - I'll remember that, it'll definitely come in handy :)

2. I think I tried to ask the robot about everything that I thought was significant in the game and only hit on like two positive responses. It would be awesome if you could add responses from the robot about LOTS of objects in the game.

That's fair enough - I'll work on fleshing it out. Thanks!

3. Try to smooth out commands for the robot. Can I do more than 'use robot' and 'ask robot about [object]'?

Not especially - it's primary function is to serve, so I'm not sure what else to add, but if anyone has any suggestions I'd be happy to try and implement them!

Thanks very much again XanMag; I really appreciate it!

XanMag
First question = Good. Just checking!
1. After the script runs that 'vanquishes' the object (teacher, dog, etc) simply move 'teacher' object to 'item storage' room and 'dead teacher' to 'current room'. See the code that I posted below. I created a very simple game making a swap out like I mentioned. The problems that you have the way it is currently set up is that I could still interact with them after they were vanquished. The other option is to set a flag on all vanquished items and do a bunch of 'If/Then' scripts to control the interactions. I think my method is easier.
2. Based on the 'talk to robot' description, I had the impression I could do more interacting with it. If I were you, I'd either change the response when talking to the robot to reflect exactly what could be done with it, or (better yet) add a ton of ask/tell responses under the ask/tell tab for the character object. The ask/tell feature must be turned on under the game features tab. It'll give the robot depth. =)
3. You could, under the ask/tell tab, to add "tell robot to kill teacher" (or add that as a command - right click on the room you want to run that command and select add command) and run a script after that which completes the action you want using the method I use (in the code below).

In the below code, you'll find how I swap items out AND the use of a command to add multiple typing options to 'use grenade on rabbit'. The command language I chose was 'throw grenade at rabbit' and 'kill rabbit with grenade, but I could add MANY others like 'throw grenade toward rabbit' or 'use grenade to kill rabbit' - all I would need to do is separate the commands with semi-colons (;).

Please ask if you have any questions. Happy gaming!

</game>
<object name="Cave Entrance">
<inherit name="editor_room" />
<description>This is the cave entrance to the Cave of Caerbannog.</description>
<object name="Rabbit of Caerbannog">
<inherit name="editor_object" />
<look>It's a killer rabbit with big, nasty, pointy teeth - with a mean streak a mile wide.</look>
</object>
<command name="grenade throw">
<pattern>throw grenade at rabbit; kill rabbit with grenade</pattern>
<script>
if (Contains (Cave Entrance,Rabbit of Caerbannog)) {
msg ("You count to five and (\"THREE SIR\")... three and lobbeth thy holy hand grenade at the rabbit. It explodes, killing the rabbit. You may now enter the cave.")
MoveObject (Rabbit of Caerbannog, Item Storage)
MoveObject (Dead Rabbit, Cave Entrance)
MoveObject (Remnants of HHGoA, Cave Entrance)
MoveObject (holy hand grenade of Antioch, Item Storage)
}
else {
msg ("That is not possible at this time.")
}
</script>
</command>
<exit alias="north" to="Field">
<inherit name="northdirection" />
</exit>
</object>
<object name="Field">
<object name="player">
<inherit name="editor_player" />
<look>You are King Arthur.</look>
<alias>King Arthur</alias>
<scenery />
</object>
<object name="holy hand grenade of Antioch">
<look>It's the holy hand grenade of Antioch. It was given to you by Brother Maynard. Be sure to count to three before using it.</look>
<take />
<feature_usegive />
<selfuseon type="scriptdictionary">
<item key="Rabbit of Caerbannog">
msg ("You count to five and (\"THREE SIR\")... three and lobbeth thy holy hand grenade at the rabbit. It explodes, killing the rabbit. You may now enter the cave.")
MoveObject (Rabbit of Caerbannog, Item Storage)
MoveObject (Dead Rabbit, Cave Entrance)
MoveObject (Remnants of HHGoA, Cave Entrance)
MoveObject (holy hand grenade of Antioch, Item Storage)
</item>
</selfuseon>
</object>
<exit alias="south" to="Cave Entrance">
<inherit name="southdirection" />
</exit>
</object>
<object name="Item Storage">
<object name="Dead Rabbit">
<look>It is the left over scraps from the Rabbit of Caerbannog.</look>