Favorite Games

XanMag
I'm not sure if this has been attempted on this forum or not, but here it goes.

Below is a list of (a very short list of) my favorite games I've stumbled on to on this site. Personally, I spend most of my time playing the "non-recommended" games in search of diamonds in the rough. This is just a simple recommendation list for gamers who want to sample some of the quality games discovered by game testers. And, don't be offended if your game isn't on this list - I simply and probably haven't played it yet.

In no particular order...

Text Adventures:
Xanadu - the World's Only Hope :)
Whitefield Academy of Witchcraft
Myothian Falcon
Make It Good (added 6/24)

CYOA's:
Ye Olde Barbershop
Spondre
Victorian Detective series
The Tower

I will edit this post to update it. What are your opinions? I'm always looking for new, quality games to test!

XanMag

Marzipan
Just tossing Jacqueline, Jungle Queen up here for now even though most everyone has probably already played it.

It's the one that got me taking Quest a little more seriously as an IF platform. Same author as the Whitefield game, and...well, it's not Quest, but her game Chlorophyll won the ParserComp not too long ago.

Which reminds me, there are lots of non-Quest games uploaded to this site, are we listing those too?

XanMag
I think you should start another post for non-quest games! I'm always looking for good ones to try and I've only really explored Quest. I sort of like that though because most writers are amateurs/first timers and for some reason I find that more enjoyable!

And, yes, JJQ is a very good one. I should add that as well! It's the one that planted the 'Blerk' seed for Xanadu 2. :)

HegemonKhan
I'd actually recommend this very thread as a start for games, and especially the good coders here (look for any games by the site's mods), here's a few that might be good (haven't played any of them myself yet though):

(old games, laughs, I've been using quest for like 2-3 years now)

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3111 (Pixie's)
~ Sir Loins (1-3)
~ that pirate game, I think this is it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2760
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=539 (King's Quest 5 quest-re-make)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3514
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3610
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4941
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4883 (Jay's)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5087 (XanMag's)

------------

P.S.

here's an old thread that is the same as this one, it didn't get much traction though...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4274

quest forum community is too small, sighs.

XanMag
Resurrection for attention!!

I added Make It Count by Jon Ingold to my original, growing list!

InfectedBehaviour
I've tried playing a few games but they simply don't work on Windows XP. :(

Would love to try out someone's game.

HegemonKhan
the old games should work, except the problem is that your quest.exe version is not old... so the old games aren't compatible with your current version of quest.exe, so it may not be a win XP problem with old games (with new games, then it could be a win XP problem).

if you want to play the old games, download v520 or v530 of the quest software~program~engine (quest.exe) ~ keep it separate so you don't over-right your current quest version installation, and the games should work with it and your win xp.

the syntax (mostly its the List~Dictionary Attributes) changed with v540, which makes the old games incompatible, unless their code is adjusted to the new syntax.

see here for the change log of quest versions:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... notes.html

see how v540 talks about the new syntax~format for List and Dictionary Attributes: the 'upgrading from 5.3 to 5.4' section

-------

you can also download v540, as this works with win XP.

it's v560 and maybe also (can't remember) v550 that don't work with win XP

InfectedBehaviour
@HegemonKhan

Thanks, I didn't think of that, Even though I already have installed Quest v5.5.1 and Quest v6.0 separately since my friend informed me that v6.0 would fix a bug that I'm having a problem with in v5.5.1.

Good to know I didn't waste data downloading games lol.

Well like I said I'm using V5.5.1 with win XP and that version works. The only problems I am having with v5.5.1 is, I can't hear sound when testing my game, A locked container that requires a key to unlock it can be unlocked without the key, Adding to many "Add else if" in an "if" statement freezes Quest and a container that has a container inside it with it's own children, some how makes the first container unusable or invisible and the only way to fix that is to delete it and start over. Also if you type close for example: Close drawer, It states that it's already closed even though it's opened. Thanks to that I've had to work out how to work around those minor bugs.

The only game that seemed to work that I did download was The Walking Dead - Episode One - A New World but I only learned later from my friend that that game has background music and I didn't hear squat.

I heard from my friend that if I publish my game through v6.0 that those bugs are fixed and everything works the way it should but then again I can't test it afterwards.