spondre

jaynabonne
I'm pleased to announce the release of my first game, "spondre". I hope this will be the first of many. I'm looking forward to seeing what people think about this. And much thanks to my beta testers (you can see their names in the About section).

All comments welcome!

The game can be found here:

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... iq/spondre

(On some browsers, the game won't progress past the title screen. If you have that problem, you can try the "no title screen" version here: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... tle-screen)

Silver
Looking good. It now appears to work on mobile iOS however I've stumbled on an error fairly early on. I did a screen grab but the site I use to upload images seems to be having problems so I'll try and attach it via the forum...

Um, no that didn't work either but the image site appears to be working again so hopefully this will display.

Silver
I actually can't remember what I clicked but it was one of the links pertaining to the old man... I *think* it was "ask the old man about himself"

jaynabonne
It looks like the menus and things aren't collapsing once they're no longer needed. For example, the text "There is nothing more to be said about that" is supposed to disappear. The same with the menus. Damn you, Apple! :) I wish I had a way to work on it in person, so I could fix it. I'll have to think about this.

Thanks for the feedback!

ejm29
This is a truly great game. :D

jaynabonne
Thanks very much. :)

jaynabonne
I have uploaded a new version that fixes the iPad issue. I've also submitted a pull request to the Quest code which will hopefully fix it for everyone else. :)

Silver
Works fine on the iPad now. I played it right through; I like the ending!

Couple of things: holes in a paragraph led to 'nothing more to be said about that' but the next minute a link appeared for it. And the only typo I remember was cigarette spelled cigaratte in one paragraph. Apart from that, great. Sort of a bit short but also the right length really for a short story which is what it is so I doubt lengthening it would really add anything. Will play through again being a bit less honest.

Marzipan
Is this not meant to be played offline?

I get this when I try to download:

This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error><Code>BlobNotFound</Code><Message>The specified blob does not exist.
RequestId:cab9b90f-0001-0000-45bc-10aebc000000
Time:2014-12-18T16:36:20.4589680Z</Message></Error>

I eventually downloaded it by right clicking the link, but trying to play it crashed the runner.

Alex
It would seem I've broken the game download link for it somehow - right-clicking won't help, you'll just get that error message as a downloaded file.

I'll fix it shortly, in the meantime this link works: http://play.textadventures.co.uk/downlo ... ndre.quest

Marzipan
Great, thanks. :)

If I'm going to seriously sit down and play an IF game I prefer to do it offline, I'm just old fashioned that way I guess. (also my wi-fi is terrible)

Silver
It's better because you don't get the delays like you do online. Unfortunately the Quest offline browser uses an older version of chrome which doesn't support html5 which I happen to be using to enable me to trigger multiple audio files simultaneously. Hint hint Alex. :D

Alex
Quest 5.6 has an updated version of Chrome embedded - v37 I think. Code is in GitHub now, planning to do a beta release soon.

Silver
Oh cool, cheers!

Silver
I got to both endings, I assume there's only two?

I also think I solved your title algorithm, it's a shifting around of respond adding the first two letters to the end.

jaynabonne
There are more actually. (If you want to know them all, PM me.) And, yep, that's where the title came from! :)

Silver
I'll have a play first to see if I can find them. Regarding the title, for a while I was thinking "why has he called it that?" :lol:

Alex
Someone just posted a "Let's Play" on YouTube for this: https://youtu.be/ULjIjSQhgVw

jaynabonne
Thanks for posting this, Alex. I must say, it was an experience actually watching someone play. :) And he seemed to have a decent time with it as well.

(I do wonder how he stumbled across it or decided to make the video.)

HegemonKhan
watched about half of the vid, wow, is your game awesome Jay (and wow, you're a very good writer~author too!), I got to play it at some point, it looks like a lot of fun (I wonder how'd I do, what ending~score, I'd get, laughs). Though finding time... sighs. The older you get, the less time you have, as you got more and more stuff to do, sighs.

The person in the vid though, needs to improve his literacy (reading ability) or get glasses (see the words on the screen better or pay more attention to them), as it was a bit distracting for me, laughs.

jaynabonne
Thanks very much! I didn't know if I could make it through it, but my wife watched it with me, and it got easier. (It's hard to listen to someone read something when you practically know all the words by heart. Or the opposite, where you're going, "Did I write that?" :) )