Craft Island

onimike
Hey fellow texter's, I have been creating a new game. I have many others and get stuck so I give up but this one is different being the firsttime I have asked the public what they think. Now this game will consist of many objects o craft such as weapons, tools and more, you will be able to upgrade your base frame by frame, cook food and so on. So far only worked on for about 4 hours mind you I know no coding so its not extravagant (YET) but more is coming just want opinion on system so far and where I should take it and how? Mind also their are some bugs with volume amount trying to hash it out hope you enjoy.

Avantar
I have tried your module.

It is a bit unclear what I should do:

When I look at the rock it says 'You have 1' but I don't. On the rest of the objects there are no descriptions.
If I hit the bush, my game just hangs for some reason.
I would rather use the alias name of 'rock' for all rocks rather than seeing rock1 and rock2.
I would also change the prefix for woods - instead of it saying a Woods6 - have it say 'You are in Woods6" or even a better name.

I do get a sharp stone on any rock that I use craft, but I am unsure on what to use it. I have used it on everything I could think of.

In my opinion more description and guidance is necessary to make this module playable. Let the audience see their environment by words.

Good luck with your game.

onimike
Avantar wrote:I have tried your module.

It is a bit unclear what I should do:

When I look at the rock it says 'You have 1' but I don't. On the rest of the objects there are no descriptions.
If I hit the bush, my game just hangs for some reason.
I would rather use the alias name of 'rock' for all rocks rather than seeing rock1 and rock2.
I would also change the prefix for woods - instead of it saying a Woods6 - have it say 'You are in Woods6" or even a better name.

I do get a sharp stone on any rock that I use craft, but I am unsure on what to use it. I have used it on everything I could think of.

In my opinion more description and guidance is necessary to make this module playable. Let the audience see their environment by words.

Good luck with your game.

Sorry its been forever since I have been on here kinda gave up cause I couldn't get any direction on how I was doing. That release was an older one I have updated most of the rock1,2 and woods mostly. My goal was to paint the image after I hashed out the main mechanics of the crafting, like now you can hunt, trap and fish also make campfires to stay warm etc. The sharp stone is for making a stone axe and campfire for most part but to make stone axe you need to craft plant fibers from grass and sticks from bushes. If still interested in newer version for some more criticism I will defiantly update my post. Thank you for your insight. Also your goal is to survive, there is a day cycle and meters to the left side of screen. These meters tell you what you need to worry about (IE: Exposer means you need to build a campfire or a shelter where as thirst you need water and hunger is food. So far you can drink from a pond, set traps for deer and rabbit, craft knife to skin and gut them and the campfire to cook the meats) Key is to make a stone axe so you can mine boulders and chop down trees. Once trees and chopped chop up the fallen tree to get tree trucks, collect them and craft planks. You can craft planks into 3 items, a menu will popup wit what you can craft.

onimike
Game updated above.

Avantar
I really like the idea, but I just can't get to play it - here is what happens:

> look at grass
Nothing out of the ordinary.

> take grass
You must break it down before taking.

> hit grass
Being exposed to the elements will kill you eventually.

At this point the game hangs but the timers still kick in - but I can not do anything.
So I tried again:
> look at rock

> take rock
You pick it up.

> craft rock
You crafted a sharp stone.

> look at boulder

> take boulder
You can't take it.

> mine boulder boulder

At that point the game hangs again and I can not do anything.
This can be a great title - let me know if you get the same as I do.

Silver
Not sure that this would be something I'd enjoy. The whole point of IF (for me, at least) is to have a story that gets moved along based on your actions/decisions.

These minecraft simulators obviously won't provide that function if they're sandbox in nature. Minecraft works because it's like a giant Lego set. You get visual rewards to your work. I don't think that would carry well over into IF. I could be proven wrong of course but you'd need a lot of different descriptions describing the various stages of the development of the camp; rinse and repeat for every other kind of project you could undertake with the items you have crafted. What does it deliver that minecraft doesn't? It would be a tonne of work for the author for a game that someone may play once before drifting off to another piece of IF. I think to make it work there needs to be some kind of end goal. An actual point to doing all the crafting.

That aside, I think it's a brilliant idea for learning quest. But as a game I'm not so convinced.

onimike
Silver wrote:Not sure that this would be something I'd enjoy. The whole point of IF (for me, at least) is to have a story that gets moved along based on your actions/decisions.

These minecraft simulators obviously won't provide that function if they're sandbox in nature. Minecraft works because it's like a giant Lego set. You get visual rewards to your work. I don't think that would carry well over into IF. I could be proven wrong of course but you'd need a lot of different descriptions describing the various stages of the development of the camp; rinse and repeat for every other kind of project you could undertake with the items you have crafted. What does it deliver that minecraft doesn't? It would be a tonne of work for the author for a game that someone may play once before drifting off to another piece of IF. I think to make it work there needs to be some kind of end goal. An actual point to doing all the crafting.

That aside, I think it's a brilliant idea for learning quest. But as a game I'm not so convinced.

I want to say thank you to start with. I see your point on there needing story line which I have one planed out just mechanic phase right now to hash out major crafting. Once the main part of the crafting and other objects made is when I will implement in every thing else; Such as further descriptions, way bigger area to explore, npc's ( I have in mind a secret experimental facility.) But as of now the main goal is to just survive, I now doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun but im trying to bring in some feel you are playing a actual crafting game. I already have many sounds and a few pics each item will have a pic and a sound to go with them also including sounds for actions. I have worked with a rain effect and its needs some tweeking but that will be in there also. Much needs to be added I know, there is a ton of stuff I have in here and has taken months just to get them to simi work lol but once said and done there will be much dialog added as I add more and more each day.

onimike
Avantar wrote:I really like the idea, but I just can't get to play it - here is what happens:

> look at grass

> take grass
You must break it down before taking.

> hit grass

At this point the game hangs but the timers still kick in - but I can not do anything.
So I tried again:
> look at rock

> take rock
You pick it up.

> craft rock
You crafted a sharp stone.

> look at boulder

> take boulder
You can't take it.

> mine boulder boulder

At that point the game hangs again and I can not do anything.
This can be a great title - let me know if you get the same as I do.

Hello I have had this problem but only online, are you downloading the file and playing in the offline version of Quest? Try going here as I have a newer version published with 3 walkthroughs, download and play offline I have newest updated quest so 5.5 I think.
Link http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... val-island
Thanks for checking it out if it still doesn't work let me know I'll try to fix it, but like I said offline works fine for me but online doesn't at all.

Silver
onimike wrote:
I want to say thank you to start with. I see your point on there needing story line which I have one planed out just mechanic phase right now to hash out major crafting. Once the main part of the crafting and other objects made is when I will implement in every thing else; Such as further descriptions, way bigger area to explore, npc's ( I have in mind a secret experimental facility.) But as of now the main goal is to just survive, I now doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun but im trying to bring in some feel you are playing a actual crafting game. I already have many sounds and a few pics each item will have a pic and a sound to go with them also including sounds for actions. I have worked with a rain effect and its needs some tweeking but that will be in there also. Much needs to be added I know, there is a ton of stuff I have in here and has taken months just to get them to simi work lol but once said and done there will be much dialog added as I add more and more each day.

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a completely different way of working in that I try and finish and polish one area before moving on to the next. But your method has got me thinking that if you do the mechanics first, it would be simple to save them in that state and use them on any given project which just need the decorations adding so I've learned something there.

If you need any particular sound samples you're struggling to find pm me.

Avantar
onimike wrote:
Hello I have had this problem but only online, are you downloading the file and playing in the offline version of Quest? Try going here as I have a newer version published with 3 walkthroughs, download and play offline I have newest updated quest so 5.5 I think.
Thanks for checking it out if it still doesn't work let me know I'll try to fix it, but like I said offline works fine for me but online doesn't at all.

I have used the offline version 5.5.1 and first off downloaded from the link supplied in this thread. I have now downloaded the.quest file from the link provided to the online version: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... val-island

Again, I like the idea and can see myself spending hours on a game like this, but I still can't manage.
Firstly looking at a rock:
> look at rock
You have 1.

It still says I have one and I don't - not biggy.

Secondly, I really want to make a stone axe but:
> hit grass

> hit bush

> look at bush

> take bush
You can't take it.

> hit bush

> hit grass

> use sharp stone on bush
You can't use it that way.

how do I get the sticks? From all the grass I tried to hit I got a response once and manage to take it and craft it to some fiber. Also tried a few bushes.
My game does not hang anymore. I can see there are a few descriptions added now as well.
From glancing at the .aslx file, I can see there is provision made for tent making, a knife, bow and weapon ammo, traps and a lot of functions.

I would suggest that you take one room where you can put your objects in to test and make sure they work - each function and verb on multiples of these objects. Start the player in this test room and test away.
For stuff like grass, bushes, etc - create object types for each of those - it will minimize the workload and the object (like grass) will always be the same without missing a setting or attribute. So if the verb 'hit' works for one piece of grass it will for all of them.

**Edit**
Forgot to mention: My health is already at -188 and I am still alive.

onimike
Avantar wrote:

"onimike"

I have used the offline version 5.5.1 and first off downloaded from the link supplied in this thread. I have now downloaded the.quest file from the link provided to the online version: http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... val-island

Again, I like the idea and can see myself spending hours on a game like this, but I still can't manage.
Firstly looking at a rock:
> look at rock
You have 1.

It still says I have one and I don't - not biggy.

Secondly, I really want to make a stone axe but:
> hit grass

> hit bush

> look at bush

> take bush
You can't take it.

> hit bush

> hit grass

> use sharp stone on bush
You can't use it that way.

how do I get the sticks? From all the grass I tried to hit I got a response once and manage to take it and craft it to some fiber. Also tried a few bushes.
My game does not hang anymore. I can see there are a few descriptions added now as well.
From glancing at the .aslx file, I can see there is provision made for tent making, a knife, bow and weapon ammo, traps and a lot of functions.

I would suggest that you take one room where you can put your objects in to test and make sure they work - each function and verb on multiples of these objects. Start the player in this test room and test away.
For stuff like grass, bushes, etc - create object types for each of those - it will minimize the workload and the object (like grass) will always be the same without missing a setting or attribute. So if the verb 'hit' works for one piece of grass it will for all of them.

**Edit**
Forgot to mention: My health is already at -188 and I am still alive.

Glad to see you got it working, not sure why your not dieing but I do have a turn script called dead that after your health reaches 0 or below your next action you should die and game be over. So Ill see what might be the problem and put up a fix when I find it. There are 3 walk throughs that are just text so you must read them, to make sticks hit a bush 3 times and a stick will appear in room, grass hit 2 times pick up and craft into plant fibers do that 3 times so you have 3 plant fibers. From there you can craft the fibers into rope; Then take your stick and combine to make a handle, now combine handle with rope for a mancatcher. Once the mancatcher is made you can now craft a rock into a sharp stone then craft sharp stone with the mancatcher to get a stone axe. Once you have the stone axe every thing become possible lol. Let me know if your still having problems im gonna download on a different pc to see if it works like it does on my main pc. Thanks again will be updating often and adding more, when I put a lot I will put in a change log.

onimike
Avantar, I fixed the health system so now you should not go passed 0 any more. Also fixed campfire and added some random messages to the campfire while in the room with it while its burning. Next few updates will be traps in proper working order, so far can dig a hole with sharp stone, sharpen sticks and craft from crafting table pitspikes to make a spikedpit (should be able to craft but does nothing yet working on that). Hope this fixes the problem you were having cheers. Also added storage chest to room for now, look at chest it tells you command to store items away. I will add a clickable "add to chest" function soon will take time.

onimike
Silver wrote:

"onimike"

Sounds like a lot of fun. I have a completely different way of working in that I try and finish and polish one area before moving on to the next. But your method has got me thinking that if you do the mechanics first, it would be simple to save them in that state and use them on any given project which just need the decorations adding so I've learned something there.

If you need any particular sound samples you're struggling to find pm me.

Thank you silver I will defiantly keep that in mind, I have added you on my friends list to keep in touch. Thanks again glad you got something from this :) so have I now cheers!

Silver
No worries. Ive got over 50gig of raw sound samples and about a further 300gig in samples tied up with audio packages.

onimike
Ok I have made a lot of changes and implanted a lot more. Also Optimized scripts so runs a lot smoother, added new graphics, sounds, descriptions and more. For full change log and future plans go to http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... val-island.
Thank you all hope you enjoy :)

Avantar
I still think that this is a great idea and I still think there is a lot to be done concerning the logic and playability from a personal point of view.
For any game I believe that the aim is on having fun and even a difficult puzzle should be fun to solve. Guidance might be necessary for the player in the beginning to help him make a start and then leave him on his own.
Example:
You look at a rock and you get this reply:
> look at rock
You have 1.
You do not have a rock and that adds to confusion and might bring about the perception that something is broken.

You hit the grass or bush and nothing happens - you have no idea that you have to do it more than once (rightfully so later on in the game) and you feel that this is just another broken part as it is looking at the rock. I would say it deserves a description when hitting the bush or grass the first time. Something like: "You hit the grass but it is not enough to loosen it. It might need another hit or two."
Hitting the grass in itself is not to logical for me. If it did have a bit of a description that will make you understand the type of grass that will constitute you hitting it I guess.
> hit grass

> hit grass
Grass is destroied!

> hit bush

> hit bush

> hit bush
There are some sticks.
Bush is destroied!

It will also make sense to me that if I have more than one rock in my Inventory and I craft both into a sharp stone that I will have two sharp stones? The same with plant fibers. I understand that you do not need both, but it just make logic sense.
Getting a stick and clicking on combine brings up this menu:
> combine stick
What would you like to craft?
1: handle
2: sharpened sticks
3: torch
4: tent frame
Shouldn't the 'Combine' button rather say craft? That will make much more sense for the player.
When you click on 'Craft' for the handle, the following menu appears:
> craft handle
With which object?
1: stick
2: rope
3: rock
4: grass
5: bamboo
Shouldn't the 'Craft' button actually be 'Combine' - it will make much more sense.

Again - I think this is great and I can see the effort - but to make it playable for anybody, the confusing parts should be fixed.
I do die now when my health reaches 0. - good

Avantar
Sorry for the double post - not sure how I managed that. :-)

Silver
A way around the confusing bits might be to have a small intro where you coach the player to perform certain actions so they get the gist of what the game expects them to type in order to do things.

onimike
Wow thanks guys and yes avantar im going to switch combine and craft around so it its not as confusing. I am slowly putting more in descriptions and making alot of them say random stuff so the same message doesn't display over and over. So i will get to work and clear that mess up and add in some text when you take a action this way it will give you more then just sound. Thats honestly why I didn't put a whole lot in yet was because of the sounds but playing though myself i got the same feeling. I do have a text walktrough that just tells you how to make a few certain things but i will make a intro along with more description to start with, fornow though the messages may only be one line to start with. My plan is to have most description have a random output so it changes also.
Now aside from those issues how did it play? Was it smoother, less hiccups? Did you get a chance to craft tent or campfire maybe a storage chest? Sorry got really excited when i got those itemsu working and added to campfire ohh also the box trap really cool stuff im working with but yes i agree it a text game and needs more so i will be making sure the itwm don't tell amount you have until picked up :-)
Thank you again so much makes making a game more worth it hearing that someone has played itlol

Avantar
I know the feeling when you did accomplish something and equally frustrating when players do not get to see your cool ideas. :-)
My game had combat, shopping, merchants, bow competition, random encounters, mini gambling games, skills and so forth, but somehow the word 'Demo' in my title just deterred most people of even getting past the first door. :lol: So I took it down and therefore I try to make an effort on going through the game mechanics of others.

I used sticks to make a handle, plant fiber for rope, sharp stone to make axe, I made a camp fire and a tent starting of with the frame. I did not read the walk-through in order for me to play it as objective as a normal player would. I made a man catcher - What is that for? (catching men? lol)
My game did not go and freeze anymore. I could click on any link given for craft and combine without issue. So yes - much better and smoother.
Two more hiccups - I know you are still going to add descriptions but:
I am unable to tell you where this bush was; since it only states that I am in some woods - it did not give me any sticks and I desperately needed some.

So my tip to you again. For all your objects, create an object type with all the scripts for that object already on that object type and then you only need to inherit the object type to the actual object and that object will behave the same every time. :)

onimike
Its great you made it that far very awesome. Mancatcher lmao was just a name gonna rename and give a combine menu. I have so far deleted all objects but 1 of each and have them clone each when necessary. This is playing a huge part in how fast the game responds and like you said with object types it plays same script every time :-) I have put way more images, random text and am trying to figure out how to get my in room descriptions to work with the clones. I think you'll really like for I have gave hints in descriptions now not all but main parts have random images for the pond if you see fish or not. Man im excited and thanks again for playing can't wait to get this up so you can see it.
Also not sure what problem with sticks your having but as of now its set up to just add more sticks to your inventory and print you crafted more sticks or if you destroy another bush you automatically pick them up. If you have sticks click look at and it will tell you amount. Oh another thing most of the wording will be cleared up.

Avantar
Let me know when you would like me to have another look for you.