Chess for quest

m4u
Hi guys,

I created a simulation of chess for playing and teaching chess. I still have a lot to set up, like movements, etc. but you can taste it and test it here:

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... -for-quest

Let me know what you think.

M4u

P.D: Thanks Jay for the hint about how to set up the images.

HegemonKhan
awesome, as I like chess! (maybe we should play a game of chess, sometime, hehe. How good are you at chess? I'm average)

m4u
Good to know, I was good on my young ages. Now, im probable average too. Yes, add me on Chess.com and we will play!

HegemonKhan
for sure, though I'm busy still with real life, but maybe we could do a game on the weekend (I'll register on the site and add you on the weekend too), just too busy during the week, sighs. I haven't played against anyone onlin before, but I heard of the site.

Pertex
Hmmm, there is a problem with the chessboard (online):

chess.jpg

jaynabonne
It works when downloaded or in Chrome. Yet another IE difference...

m4u: Looks good! The only thing I'd suggest is get piece images that are anti-aliased for the blue as well as the white. The white anti-aliasing detracts from the pieces when on the blue squares (or get rid of the anti-aliasing altogether).

m4u
Thanks Jay, the antialiasing thing is something I can make with Quest or with a program to handle images?

jaynabonne
An image editor would do. Looking closer, I don't think you can re-antialias them. I'm guessing you (or someone) just did a fill on the original white images to make the blue ones, and the white ones had been anti-aliased, so the edges were "fuzzy". So the fill didn't fill close enough, and left the white fringes. I've taken the liberty of loading them into Gimp and upped the threshold for the flood fill quite a bit so it would match more of the white variants. I've attached the new images here if you'd like to use them. Hope you don't mind. :D

BTW, I left some white bits on the black images. Not sure if that's what you'd want, but they can be easily filled in to blue if you wish. I thought the knight's eye, for instance, wouldn't make sense to be blue, as it would appear to be a hole in its head!

jaynabonne
Since I had Gimp open and was having fun, I knocked out some alternate black images, by filling a dark grey into the white ones. They're attached here in case you like them better. I'm still undecided.

(They all have "2" on the end of the name. You'd have to rename them to use them.)

m4u
Awesome! I don't know how you do it but the new images look great! I uploaded the new version.

M4u

jaynabonne
Gimp is a great tool. :) (And freely available as well!)

http://www.gimp.org/