My Little Time Killer... Sequel!?

Entropic Pen
If gamers play games to kill time, the what would happen if gamers play a game where the objective IS to kill time? In this game you take the place as some derp-of-a-stallion on a prototype lunar habitat with four other mares and are provided with various forms of entertainment such as a Star Trek-styled Holodeck, a kitchen, a library of books, a gym, and seperate bedrooms.

As a unicorn you can cast spells with a relatively simple UI, and learn more spells like Invisibility, Charm, Midas, and the infamous Terrorvision spell. Integrated into the game is a map, and a military-style time system with day and night functions. The bedrooms of the four mares mentioned earlier are secured with 4-digit passwords randomly generated by the game so no one can post that "Rainbow Dash's code is 1234". And to top it all off, the game can be played in two different ways: ADVENTURE and TIME ATTACK modes. Though there may not be ten truck-loads of content, I plan on frequently updating the game, adding a little something each time... after all, writing this game is my way of killing time.

Liam315
The link for anyone who's interested:

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/drpsfkrj5ewjzxgiut2keq/my-little-time-killer

Entropic Pen
Liam315 wrote:The link for anyone who's interested:

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/drpsfkrj5ewjzxgiut2keq/my-little-time-killer

Thanks man! I was being a bit of a derp.

jaynabonne
I've not gotten far, but two problems so far:

1) In the beginning sequence, I enter my name, pick "Intelligent", pick "Adventure Mode" and then pick "Randomize." It goes onto the next screen, but I can see briefly a script error before the screen clears.

2) In Harriman Station as a human:

> speak to Lily Lightly
"Oh hey there, Jay, whatcha want to talk about?" she asked happily.
<Hits continue>
Error running script: Error compiling expression 'not GetBoolean(player, "learn_midas") and not Get Boolean(player, "player_bipedal")': FunctionCallElement: Could find not function 'Get___SPACE___Boolean(Element, String)'

Entropic Pen
jaynabonne wrote:I've not gotten far, but two problems so far:

1) In the beginning sequence, I enter my name, pick "Intelligent", pick "Adventure Mode" and then pick "Randomize." It goes onto the next screen, but I can see briefly a script error before the screen clears.

2) In Harriman Station as a human:

> speak to Lily Lightly
"Oh hey there, Jay, whatcha want to talk about?" she asked happily.
<Hits continue>
Error running script: Error compiling expression 'not GetBoolean(player, "learn_midas") and not Get Boolean(player, "player_bipedal")': FunctionCallElement: Could find not function 'Get___SPACE___Boolean(Element, String)'

1) That error could be anything and could be anywhere in the game's code, but I'll look into it to see what I can find.

2) Thanks for bringing this to my attention :D . This will be fixed in the next update along with a re-working of the dialogue system and the addition of a new pony.

Also, what exactly is your definition of "not gotten far"? If you've chosen "Adventure Mode", then you have an unlimited amount of time in a game where the only objective is to kill time, hence the title "My Little Time Killer".

jaynabonne
One way to solve 1 is to temporarily comment out the clear screen. That way the error message will remain on screen.

I just meant that I didn't feel I'd killed enough time yet to give a full review. :) Still room entry codes to discover!

jaynabonne
Just for grins, I did it myself. Here is the error message:

Now about those four ponies you'll be stuck with! You can choose all four of them, or let the game choose all four for you.
Choose First Pony
- Randomize
Error running script: No menu options specified

I'll let you take it from there. ;)

Entropic Pen
jaynabonne wrote:Just for grins, I did it myself. Here is the error message:

Now about those four ponies you'll be stuck with! You can choose all four of them, or let the game choose all four for you.
Choose First Pony
- Randomize
Error running script: No menu options specified

I'll let you take it from there. ;)

Okay, this narrows it down and I'll have it fixed in the next update along with a few new Holodeck programs that are actually interactive.

jaynabonne
Some more issues:

1) If a spell takes as many magic points as you have left, it doesn't do anything. (I had 50 and tried to do Mind Reading, and nothing happened. I then recharged my magic, and it worked.)

2) Doling out treats doesn't decrement the count in the inventory and doesn't remove the inventory item when depleted. Internally, it knows how many treats you have. If you do run out and then try to give one, it gives an error about no menu options.

3) If you try a sleepover with a pony without sufficient affection, there is a brief message that you can't read and then the screen clears and you're back out in the hall. I assume you got booted out, but it would be nice to be able to see the message.

4) Given the general present tense-ness of the game, something like this:

"Oh hello there..." Kimono paused as she clearly forgot your name, "whatcha want to talk about?" she asked happily.

should be:

"Oh hello there..." Kimono pauses as she clearly forgot your name, "whatcha want to talk about?" she asks happily.

- or -

"Oh hello there..." Kimono pauses as she has clearly forgotten your name. "Whatcha want to talk about?" she asks happily.

I like the fact that the ponies are in different places at different times of day. :)

Entropic Pen
Sitting there in his beanbag chair, Entropic Pen is drinking Coca-Cola while playing GTA V; the first console game he's played since June of 2013. Chuckling to himself, he gets into a crimson-colored semi truck and drives it into traffic, knocking innocent civilians off the freeway before suddenly standing up out of his chair and singing "Dare to be Stupid"... before realizing this joke is going nowhere and he has to tell the fans about a MLTK Sequel.

Yes fillies and colts, a sequel to the still popular game, "My Little Time Killer" is in the works and it's going to waste even more of your time as it'll waste my time developing it! Now, I'm not working on coding it right now, I'm just gathering ideas and improving my code, here's some of those ideas:
- A larger area of play to muck around in using Jaynabonne's Map Generator. How big? Try an entire city big.
- A new, more isolated location that'll make the Moon (the setting of the first MLTK game) seem like it's a walk across the street.
- The area will have the décor of "sent up in individual pieces on a budget" look (look up "inside of International Space Station" for more details).
- I'm going back to the roots of the original designs for My Little Time Killer:
-- The original location was (DATA EXPUNGED), but then moved to the Moon. I was always fascinated with (DATA EXPUNGED)s but I thought the Moon was a more isolated location.
-- Make it a survival game: In a failed gamemode for the original game, you were tasked with keeping your character entertained or die of boredom. Your high score was determined by how long you survived.
- Hobbies and mini-games thought up of/ planning/attempting:
-- Tennis
-- Wrestling
-- Arcade games (TVGM cameo, anyone?)
-- Tattoos and piercings

Expect a demo, or some very revealing details... in April I guess... Yeah, last time I set myself up for a deadline I failed epically so stay tuned!