New "Play Online" beta version

Alex
I have rewritten the "Play Online" feature of textadventures.co.uk.

It is now running WebPlayer, which is the open source online player component of Quest 5.0.

Things to be aware of or excited about...
[list]
[*]It is much faster than the old "play online" feature[/*:m]
[*]It no longer uses Flash - instead it's using AJAX. This means that it works on iPhone and iPad etc. But note that the current layout is not very iPhone-friendly. Also it didn't work on the Android browser I tried for some reason.[/*:m]
[*]It is free and open source, so if you wanted to host your own WebPlayer in your own design, you can.[/*:m]
[*]It supports games for all Quest versions - both "classic" Quest (4.x and earlier) and "new" Quest (5.0).[/*:m]
[*]It works properly - if it works in Quest, it should work in WebPlayer too. The old "play online" feature doesn't show embedded CAS resources for example - WebPlayer does.[/*:m][/list:u]

To use the new WebPlayer, you must first log in to textadventures.co.uk. You will then see a "Try the new beta online player" under the usual "Play online" link. (There's no technical reason for requiring a login, it's just that I don't want every casual player on the site hitting the new WebPlayer until I know it works properly).

Note that the very latest games added to textadventures.co.uk won't be available on WebPlayer yet, as I haven't set up the service that grabs new game files on the new server.

Please, please, please give me your feedback and report any errors you see.

sherlock
Thats awsome!!!! when are you releasing Q5? I cant find the play webplayer?

Pertex
This is really cool!
But I have problems with Win 7 32bit, Firefox 3.6. I Try to start the game "The Things That Go Bump In The Night " but it only says "Loading".

With IE 8 I can play the game, but if I open the door in the The North Hallway, where you can hear sounds behind, IE ask to execute ActiveX. I said Yes but then I got the "Loading" message and nothing happened any more. I restartet the game and this time the option to load ActiveX seemed to be set and I could hear a sound and a text "You cautiously start ..." was displayed. After this it wasnt possible to type new commands or to click buttons.

Another fine problem: :D
When you start the game, it says "Click here or press a key to continue".
If you first select some text in the gamewindow and then press a key, the game loads endlessly.

edit: OK, I found the problem with firefox. After deactivating and reactivating all addons it starts now

when entering the "The North Hallway" Firefox doesnt play the sound of the door.

input like "restart", "save", "load" gives the answer "Unhandled request: Restart," or "Unhandled request: Save,"

RavynCrescent
OMGOMGOMG! So, like, I can play text adventure games on my iPad now!? YES!

Alex
Yes this works on the iPad (well it does in the simulator anyway), although the layout isn't hugely optimised for it yet.

I said in my initial post that I hadn't got this working on Android, but I tried today on an HTC Desire HD (running Android 2.2 I think), and it worked fine - again, some layout tweaks will be necessary though.

sherlock
Does it owrk for iPhone or Ipod touch?

Tma75
Playing on my ipad via safari, but I can't figure out how to load my saved game. Typed save and it saved it and figured I could just type load to get it back, but no. What command do you use to load a saved game when playing online?

Update: I've figured out that I have to close the game than hit the play resume button on the website but I get a no game specified error when I do.