The TV Show Thread

OurJud
That 70s Show has reached the UK airwaves and I've become an instant fan! The red-haired girl is brilliant!

XanMag
Good show.

Do you get recent American shows or just re-runs? Modern Family, The League, and Big Bang Theory are my favorites.

davidw
I'm really looking forward to the new series of the X-Files. I was gutted when it ended in 2002 (even though the last few series were a bit ropey) and I've been waiting all this time for it to get renewed.

OurJud
XanMag wrote:Good show.

Do you get recent American shows or just re-runs? Modern Family, The League, and Big Bang Theory are my favorites.

Yeah, we get all them (not sure about The League) but I don't really follow them. Friends and That 70s Show are the only ones I've ever really taken to.

davidw wrote:I'm really looking forward to the new series of the X-Files. I was gutted when it ended in 2002 (even though the last few series were a bit ropey) and I've been waiting all this time for it to get renewed.

Me too, but I have my reservations. It got very silly towards the end - took the self-parody thing too far - but I'll give this new series a go all the same.

XanMag
The League is my favorite. In short, it's a show that revolves around a Fantasy Football League, but it so much more than that. The characters are classic. If you can stomach it... here is a little depravity from The League. It's not all this crude, but Rafi is my favorite character. Forgive me if you are easily offended!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M2PD1qayKo

I think it can be found on Netflix maybe?

Anyway... sorry in advance!

davidw
OurJud wrote:

"davidw"

I'm really looking forward to the new series of the X-Files. I was gutted when it ended in 2002 (even though the last few series were a bit ropey) and I've been waiting all this time for it to get renewed.

Me too, but I have my reservations. It got very silly towards the end - took the self-parody thing too far - but I'll give this new series a go all the same.

I like to conveniently overlook the last couple of years of the original series and just concentrate on how good it was before then. Ideally they should have ended it when Mulder left. Doggett was too bland for a Mulder-replacement and Reyes was just irritating.

I've got reservations about the new series as well, but I'm hoping that, with it only being 6 episodes long, they'll be able to keep it tight and focused and not ramble the way it sometimes did before. Kinda disappointed they've got the Smoking Man returning, though. Don't get me wrong, he's a great villain and everything, but how many more times do they need to kill him off before he's finally dead? Even if they cut his head off and burnt his body, they'd still find a way to bring him back one last time.

OurJud
XanMag wrote:The League is my favorite. In short, it's a show that revolves around a Fantasy Football League, but it so much more than that. The characters are classic. If you can stomach it... here is a little depravity from The League. It's not all this crude, but Rafi is my favorite character. Forgive me if you are easily offended!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M2PD1qayKo

I think it can be found on Netflix maybe?

Anyway... sorry in advance!

Not that this is a competition or anything, but I live in the wrong country to be offended by the stuff they show on tv :D

And if it's about football, then I definitely won't be a fan. I don't like English football (as in soccer) let alone American football.

davidw wrote:

"OurJud"

[quote="davidw"]I'm really looking forward to the new series of the X-Files. I was gutted when it ended in 2002 (even though the last few series were a bit ropey) and I've been waiting all this time for it to get renewed.

I like to conveniently overlook the last couple of years of the original series and just concentrate on how good it was before then.[/quote]
Probably the best way to look at it.

XanMag
The Fantasy Football League is really just the tie that binds them. You don't have to be a football fan to like the show. It's no Monty Python and The Holy Grail, of course, but... it's still funny. :lol:

OurJud
XanMag wrote:The Fantasy Football League is really just the tie that binds them. You don't have to be a football fan to like the show. It's no Monty Python and The Holy Grail, of course, but... it's still funny. :lol:

I don't like Python either :?

Laurel and Hardy. Now they're FUNNY!

HegemonKhan
I really like the new (or semi-new now) sci-fi (SyFy) series:

Dark Matter: it was done really well and is really interesting, unlike Killjoys (this was watchable, but made worse when compared with Dark Matter which was aired at the same time, lol).

Helix: Really done well, but I don't know if it's going to be continued into a season 3, sighs.

Defiance: it was pretty well done and interesting~entertaining, but they ended it too soon, sighs.

Face Off: I just love this show, it's amazing what artistic~creative people can do, when you're not such a talented person in art~creativty stuff, laughs.

------

Lost Girl: it's alright... it has (or could have had) some interesting story-plot, but is usually too corny, especially with all the corny fanservice too.

------

I'm not sure about this 'The Expanse' show... I'm waiting for season 2 of Dark Matter (and wishfully a 3rd season of Helx), laughs

------

Some really old (and obscure: not well known) shows that I liked when I was younger:

Earth 2
Sea Quest DSV

just odl shows Iliked:

Herculus and Xena, of course (hey I was a young teenager, and back then these were some of the few pg-rated fanservice shows on tv, laughs)

Knight Rider: talking-automated car... we still don't quite have such a car yet, but we're getting close, lol.

Baywatch: Pamela Anderson (again I was a teen... funny how she's a distant memory and SO old now too!, compared to Kim Kardashian now... females are getting sexier and sexier!)

Rin Tin Tin K9 Cop

(and I can't remember any more)

------

as for american cartoons, if they're on-topic... I could list a lot (err my memory is gone, doh!) of really good (old) ones... laughs

Batman: The Animated Series
Batman Beyond
TMNT (the original) tv series (not the movies, as this thread is about tv shows)
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors
Red Planet
Dark Waters
Exosquad
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe
Captain Planet

Thundercats https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcGNqrAtsgg (american)
vs
Japanese Anime Thundercat (WARNING: violence) (at halfway is when he changes into the thundercat) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqLiAQBG43Q (now that's a thundercat! America sucks)

the Nickolodean tv shows:

Are You Afraid of the Dark?

Lost Temple

Double Dare

Wild and Crazy Kids

(that camp show, with the camp leader named "Ug", don't know what the show was called though)

Secret World of Alex Mack (there's a clip of young teen Jessica Alba in it! If you want to see what Jessica Alba looked like as a young teen!):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WREDQvgbLIo (pretty but not super attractive back then, unlike her sexy adult self now)

------

everyone has heard of 'The Power Rangers', but how many people heard of, know of, and~or seen 'VR Troopers' ??? (it came after Power Rangers trying to get the same viewership, as a similar~copied like-show as Power Rangers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5wvWuGBLMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tZhA7hQNtU (this is so pathetic now... laughs)

I thought technology was advancing fast... ~20 years to get google Glass (or whatever it is called) and etc other VR stuff out there... laughs.

XanMag
OurJud wrote:
I don't like Python either :?

Seriously? http://youtu.be/2K8_jgiNqUc

OurJud
Seriously. I never 'got it'.

Being a Python fan is like being in a club. There's no such thing as a casual Python fan. If you're a fan, then you have to be able to quote every tv sketch and film scene word for word, otherwise you just get disapproving looks. I've no time for such elitism.

XanMag
Haha. That sounds like a potential skit!

davidw
Potential skit:

Guy knocks on a door and it's opened by two men. The guy says "I'm here to join the Monty Python Elitism Club."

1st man says, "the club, eh?"

2nd man says, "okay, let's see you quote every line from the Dead Parrot sketch."

The guy does.

1st man says, "not bad."

2nd man says, "yes, but before we decide, you'll also have to do a silly walk."

The guy does, though not without some difficulty.

1st man says, "hmmm... passable I guess."

2nd man says, "here, slap yourself in the face with this dead fish."

The guy sighs but, dutifully, slaps himself in the face several times with the dead fish.

1st man says, "ha, that was good."

2nd man says, "I'll agree with that."

The guy says, "so... can I can the Monty Python Elitism Club?"

1st man says, "what are you asking us for?"

2nd man says, "it's next door."

The door is closed.

The guy stands there looking dejected until a knight walks along and hits him on the head with a chicken.

XanMag
I challenge you to write a TA drawing solely on different sketches from Monty Python. That would be awesome! Lol

HegemonKhan
the only thing I remember from Monty Python is:

'"tis but a scratch" (the person has all of his limbs chopped off)

it's not so much that we're fan-atics, it's just that if you were around to know of Monty Python, it's a classic in comedy ("The Princess Bride" somewhat tries to carry on the Monty Python comedy-theme). I feel sorry for the younger generation that doesn't know of Monty Python.