I'm back... maybe.

OurJud
Hello, all. Not sure how many of the regulars I became familiar with are still here - shout up if you are!

Anyway, been messing around with Twine - another CYOA creator. It's very good, but is designed specifically for the 'multiple choice' style gameplay, rather that the traditional input style that I grew up on.

One thing is does have over Quest, I feel, is that the games are made entirely of html, so can be published virtually anywhere. All in all, Twine is far more user-friendly, especially for noobs like me.

However, it's nowhere near as deep as Quest and I'm missing the ability to create input style games. I'm back as I have an idea for a game based on the PC MMO game, DayZ.

I say 'maybe' back, because it's been so long that I've pretty much forgotten everything I learned while I was here last. If I can simply dive straight in using one of the templates from my old games, that would be okay, but I really don't relish having to do all the setting up, such as adding all the CSS, javascript and other codes to get to the state my other games are in.

Any advice?

XanMag
You were on your way out as I was on my way in I believe... and don't say maybe. You're back. =)

My "advice"... just bitch about all the problems you are having and how to fix them and Pixie and HK and Jay (among others) will eventually fix them for you. lol

Welcome back.

XanMag

OurJud
LOL

Thanks, Xan. Do you post over on the Twine forum? Your avo looks familiar.

I've been trying to load the game I was working on before I left, but to no avail. Unfortunately it was all done on the offline version of Quest, so I have nothing here I can edit. I keep getting an error about not being able to find the retrostyle.aslx file or sommat.

Without that I'm stuffed, cos I ain't going through all that setting up again. It took me ages to get it looking and working how I wanted.

Hopefully the chaps here can help when we reach a more sensible time of day.

HegemonKhan
HK doesn't shout... HK ROARS! :D riiiigt... HK is usually silent~shy, not boisterous in the remotest, lol

HK is still here, though he has been generally busy due to having gone back to school (3 programming classes: C++, Java, and Python; a math class; a networking class. So, 5 total classes at 15 total units), finals are ~ 1-3 weeks away, but after that I'll be on here for a month... then back to school and not much time for coming on here again while back in school, sighs.

XanMag
Ok... so if I understand correctly, you have your .aslx on your PC at home since you were working on the offline version? If that is the case, you should be able to search your PC for .aslx files and open it that way. It will launch Quest when you do.

If you are saying you are searching for your published game (retrostyle.aslx) on the site... I don't know what to tell you. Someone wiser than me will be able to help!

I likely don't understand exactly what you are asking. It happens to me all the time on this forum (just check my posts lol)

OurJud
XanMag wrote:Ok... so if I understand correctly, you have your .aslx on your PC at home since you were working on the offline version? If that is the case, you should be able to search your PC for .aslx files and open it that way. It will launch Quest when you do.

If you are saying you are searching for your published game (retrostyle.aslx) on the site... I don't know what to tell you. Someone wiser than me will be able to help!

I likely don't understand exactly what you are asking. It happens to me all the time on this forum (just check my posts lol)

Sorry, I wasn't very clear.

I have all my game save back-ups in a folder on my desktop. When I click on the last save I did, it launches Quest (desktop version), but only gets so far before I get the error box popping up saying it can't find the retrostyle.aslx.

If I remember correctly, 'retrostyle' was some script (or something) that I added to my game which either added some style or functionality - maybe both.

I can load Quest okay, but not my game saves because it can't find this retrostyle file.

XanMag wrote:... you should be able to search your PC for .aslx files...

You're a genius!

I did exactly this and it found the retrostyle file. So I dragged into into my saves folder and tried to open the game again. It got past the first problem, but then failed to load again, but this time for a different reason.

I suspect it's because I've just downloaded the latest version of Quest and I'm still on XP (it doesn't list XP as being a OS it will run on) May have to return to an older format.

The Pixie
OurJud wrote:Hello, all. Not sure how many of the regulars I became familiar with are still here - shout up if you are!

Anyway, been messing around with Twine - another CYOA creator. It's very good, but is designed specifically for the 'multiple choice' style gameplay, rather that the traditional input style that I grew up on.

One thing is does have over Quest, I feel, is that the games are made entirely of html, so can be published virtually anywhere. All in all, Twine is far more user-friendly, especially for noobs like me.

Hi Jud

Welcome back.

I have had a play around with Twine too, and posted on the forum a bit a couple of years ago. For CYOA it is excellent, though I have not managed to complete a game yet! However, I recently wrote a problem-solver for work using it for when an IT system fails on the plant.

OurJud
Thanks, TP.. Nice to see you're still here :)

What about Silver and Jaynabonne - do they still post?

I love that Twine saves in simple html. Makes publishing so much easier.

Alex
I made a Twine-like thing called Squiffy which also publishes straight to HTML http://textadventures.co.uk/squiffy

Eventually Quest will be able to do this too - stay tuned...

HegemonKhan
Jay's definitely still here (he's one of the site's mods), but haven't seen Silver for a long time, sighs.

OurJud
Alex wrote:Eventually Quest will be able to do this too - stay tuned...

I guess that leaves me behind as an XP user? Or will it be online like Twine?

Another thing about Twine, is that full customisation and styling is available on-the-fly via a blank CSS file, to which you simply add your own content. No need to download the desktop version to customise, as it can all be done online.

Will online customisation be part of html Twine?