Re-installs on modern PCs

Silver
I swear it was an unchanging forty minutes with Windows xp. This "reset" has been chugging along for well over an hour, perhaps closer to two, and informs me it's done a grand total of 20%. Maybe Special Branch and the CIA get a look in to see what's being wiped. No idea why the process takes longer than it ever did. A bigger hard drive yeah, but it's only 2TB.

Silver
It's now at 30% so it's doing 10% an hour. When did PCs get slower? I guess it'll be done in the morning. Then tomorrow will be the loooong process of downloading everything again and the day after will be installing and updating everything. Remind me to never download daft freeware from CNet ever again as it's full of device poison.

Silver
Tomorrow it is, then.

HegemonKhan
Factory Resetting can take up to a day to complete, and then you got to do all of the updates (the security and .net patches, and etc window files) ... then all of the software to re-install (and possibly update as well) ...

(make sure you only do ~30 updates at a time, as you don't want to do 150 updates only to have the 140th update fail, and having to re-do all 139 updates again, and then once you get done the 150 updates, you then got to do 100 more updates, and then after that, 50 more updates, and then you're done!)

What can you do? Get Solid State Hard Drives, more bandwidth download speed from ISP, better~faster optical drives if using disks to install your software, get a better computer (processor), more RAM (bigger memory sticks), and etc...

-----

my old dell pc win xp HDD is only 80 GBs (at the time I got it, ~2000 AD, this was a lot of space then, for a price I could afford, lol) ... lots of flash drive usage and ext hard drive, laughs.

(time goes by so fast when you're old, sighs. To me it's only been 15 short years, but to the rest of the world, and especially the computing world, it's been 15 LONG years... sighs)

Moore's Law... we got TBs now... it's like me trying to understand: millions of dollars, billions of dollars, and now trillions of dollars... the U.S. debt...

ya... I need a new computer... laughs