M:RPGE

GameBoy
Dunno if i'm allowed to do this, but if not it'll get deleted anyway.

I've been inspired by Quest, PlayerWorlds, RPG Maker, ORE etc. So i've decided that i will turn my game into an engine. Alot of people who can't code, like me, would really like to make their own game. M:RPGE allows you to do so. Like playerworlds, M:RPGE allows you to host your own online 2D graphical game (Only ours is already 100 times better).

It has name and text colour support for staff, pets, guilds, in-game mapeditor/npc editor/shop editor/spell editor etc. It allows you to import 20 tilesheets so you can use them all in just one map!. It has player biographies, paths, AD&D statistics (str, int, dex, cons, wis, cha), prayers, spells (and soon skills for archers, warriors etc.!)

The engine will be skinable, so you will be able to change things around as you please. No coding is involved at all. You will be able to put in your own tiles and sprites, music and sound, and graphics.

I will post screenshots when i've done the default graphics for it.

davidw
Just out of curiosity, have you ever finished even one of the projects you continually announce? You seem to be forever working on things that don't go anywhere.

I think Im Dead
hah

GameBoy
davidw wrote:Just out of curiosity, have you ever finished even one of the projects you continually announce? You seem to be forever working on things that don't go anywhere.

well yeah this is it. M:RPGE is based off my After Darkness game. The plan was to make it, make a game with it, then release it as an engine. But we've figured that we can do a better game, so we're releasing it as an engine sooner than we planned. so yeah, i do finish projects.

davidw
Can you point me to one of these projects you've finished? I must have missed them.

Cryophile
Every project he announces is all the same project. Also, I wonder wtf Ste does on these projects since he doesn't do any coding.

davidw
WFT he does? I'm guessing he must be the promotions guy considering how often he posts messages on this forum about them.

GameBoy
i do graphics, websites, music, ideas, planning, organisation, team administrating, buying the web hosting, server hosting. Dave does the coding part.

And yes, this has all been the same project, i've just changed the name alot lol. It's practically ready to be released as a game, people have been playing it. We just need to add scriping abilities so users can change things like, the name of the game, skins etc. for their games. That's all.

I think Im Dead
Here's a screenshot of my new game, it's called "Dark Quest of Magic Avelonia 3: RPG MATRIXxX"

davidw
Hey, looks good! It's got that kind of professionalism Ste would kill for. :lol:

GameBoy
take the piss all you like. When it's done i'm sure you won't hesitate to use it.

davidw
When it's done I imagine I'll be a very, very old man so I doubt it'll interest me a whole lot.

GameBoy
davidw wrote:When it's done I imagine I'll be a very, very old man so I doubt it'll interest me a whole lot.

you're funny... die

Cryophile
It doesn't look like bad, but how versatile will your scripting language be?

steve the gaming guy
I'd probably check it out when it's done. Although, being a man with a over-developed funny bone, I had a good laugh at davidw's remark.

steve the gaming guy :lol:

GameBoy
what also amuses me, is how people try and say "hahaha yeah, nice one david" just to fit in. To be truely honest, you are the minority. Grow up?

davidw
If you actually finished one of these things, Ste, you'd have the last laugh. Of course, as you've been announcing the very same project for the past year or more, we all know it's never going to be finished, don't we? :)

GameBoy
it's funny you should say that. I seemed to prove my point on the nightmist forum. The screenshot is there, the game is there, the features are there, it can be ready for a release. What we decided to do, is extend it, and add scripting so we can release it as a closed source engine, similar to what alex did with Quest.

To be honest, i couldn't care less what you think, i simply promoted my engine. Being a media student in college i've learnt that people will either like or hate it, but either way promotion is promotion, good or bad is besides the point, but feedback is always essential. So, whatever really lol

Anonymous
I learnt that too

Cryophile
Do you expect a decent RPG to be written by a single coder in under a year?

007bond
I agree. If you check out my new game, Castle of Doom (see my sig), you'll see that we've been going for about a month, and we haven't even started coding. We won't be for at least a few more months. Plus the fact that I've got school.

GameBoy
ok check this out....

As i said to Slayer:

PlayerWorlds, a closed source engine which runs off the same base-code as M:RPGe. It has been around for about 2-3 years. Me and Moonripper (Moonripper being the coder), started on the empty base-code, and have put more things into it than PW has in under 5 months. If you look at playerworlds, compared to M:RPGe so far, you will realise just how much we've actually worked on it.

I think Im Dead
Eh, I think the strength of the PlayerWorlds engine can speak for itself, just look at the sweetwebsite.

So to clarify... You are going to modify the "Closed Source" engine, developed & distributed by someone else as a "MMORPG Creation Engine", to create your own unique* "MMORPG Creation Engine". You will then distribute this unique* software to others who will then develop their own MMORPG's with said software.

Clearly nothing can go wrong.

Sounds like a brilliant idea! Merit, loose women, and a small fortune must surely await you. Onward you young king of interweb!1

*Not unique at all.

007bond
This is the sort of thing that you guys were doing against codingmasters. It's not fair. I guess Ste now knows what it's like though, so maybe it's good for him.

[EDIT]
I think Im Dead wrote:Eh, I think the strength of the PlayerWorlds engine can speak for itself, just look at the sweet website.

The site doesn't even work in Firefox. Very sweet, huh?

GameBoy
007bond wrote:This is the sort of thing that you guys were doing against codingmasters. It's not fair. I guess Ste now knows what it's like though, so maybe it's good for him.

not really. lol. I can leave these forums any time i want. Not to mention this was happening BEFORE you signed up. ITIB has chosen me as his target to yell at because mommy didn't get him what he wanted again. I'm not bothered what people think. At the end of the day they'll like it or they won't. As for CodingMasters, no i don't know how YOU felt, and i didn't change my name and pretend i'm somebody else like YOU did. YOU are coding masters. BOTH with same website, BOTH from same place, BOTH with same god dam email rofl.

ITIB*. Since when did i say it was going to be unique? It's usually the people who get bullied in school that come online and act tough on forums. The case has been proven on several occasions. But don't take you're stress and issues out on me, goto therapy :D

*scum of society

paul_one
HAHAHA!
*falls over laughing at ITID's picture*

Right *wipes tear from eye* ... Hope things come along good Ste. I think EVERYONE should develop a system first and THEN the game, like Alex has never done (create the game I mean).

But the system shouldn't be Ub3r L337 - just do it so that it does what you want, release it, then have updates where the user only needs to click one button or whatever. That way it is VERY nice and simple.

GameBoy
Computer Whizz wrote:HAHAHA!
*falls over laughing at ITID's picture*

Right *wipes tear from eye* ... Hope things come along good Ste. I think EVERYONE should develop a system first and THEN the game, like Alex has never done (create the game I mean).

But the system shouldn't be Ub3r L337 - just do it so that it does what you want, release it, then have updates where the user only needs to click one button or whatever. That way it is VERY nice and simple.

It does have alot of cool features that players can experiment with. The other point of doing the engine is so none-coders like me have a chance to create games using a good engine. Despite the fact that ITID disaproves of it (Or everything for that matter), doesn't mean lots of people arn't going to try it out. I've already had people ask me if there will be a map convertor for PW-M:RPGe because they like the look at mine better.

I think Im Dead
Ok, since apparently none of you can read I will disect my post for you.

Eh, I think the strength of the PlayerWorlds engine can speak for itself, just look at the sweet website.

This was implying that the PW engine is obviously a piece of crap, hell, the website is barely up to even Ste's standards, seeing as half the pages have no content. Even their main download is messed up.

So to clarify... You are going to modify the "Closed Source" engine, developed & distributed by someone else as a "MMORPG Creation Engine", to create your own unique* "MMORPG Creation Engine". You will then distribute this unique* software to others who will then develop their own MMORPG's with said software.

This is a big one so let me spell it out for you.

Firstly you called the PW engine a "Closed Source" engine, this would imply that either the source for the engine is not released, the source of the engine is not allowed to be modified, or both.

Secondly, I was pointing out that turning an MMORPG Creating Engine, into a Skinned MMORPG Creating Engine, isn't much of feat.

Thirdly, redistributing software you have modified from it's original source generally requires consent, but more generally is frowned upon and sued over. Given the state of the PW website, and the inability to download a complete file that includes any sort of License or Copyright information on their software, redistributing their modified code isn't advisable. Especially if it's a "Closed Source" engine like you claim. Also, by the way, I don't think "Closed Source" is an actual term, just because something can be Open Source, doesn't mean there is necessarily a Closed Source type of software.

Sounds like a brilliant idea! Merit, loose women, and a small fortune must surely await you. Onward you young king of interweb!1

This is mocking your running forward with such a plan when it can obviously have a huge downside.

And the cute little *s (asterisks) were trying to hint at you, "hey maybe releasing modified software of others might not be ok", but apparently you are a bit too dense.

I wasn't trying to pick a fight with anyone or be snide, but state in a simple sarcastic manner that your plan of action appears highly flawed.

But Hay, look guyz, Internet Tough Guy!!! I feel threatened by some pizza faced, English twat.

Don't mention me ever, just continue on being a huge joke... err- I mean, you keep raging against that machine.

Anonymous
Ok allow me to clarify this.

Firstly, the code-base both M:RPGe and PlayerWorlds run off is called Mirage Source (Formally Mirage Online). It is free to download, and in the words of the original creator, to "do what the fuck you want with it". As this is the case, i have download the code-base, and me and moonripper (as previously mentioned as the coder) have modified the source code, adding to it, more better features (as it basically comes with nothing), and graphics. PlayerWorlds started from just the same place we did, but it has progressed slowly, allowing my engine to be better. The majority of PlayerWorlds users (which is quite a bloody lot), will probably transfer over to M:RPGe, because of the similarity to PW (making it so they are already used to the engine), and the fact that's it's just evedently better than the PW engine.

- Ste
So until you figure out what the hell you're talking about, do a little research and get your facts right, k?

Anonymous
Oh, and you're really funny. :D

I think Im Dead
Quick let me change all my facts now, I announce inept things then get mad when people challenge their logic. Woe.

GameBoy
whatever you say.... lol

your words arn't going to change anything, you're 1 out of over 6 billion people in this world, 1 out of over 100 people who might be interested in this engine, so i couldn't care less whether you liked it or not. If you see no logic in what i'm doing, get over it, and stfu because its MY project, and it WILL be finished, simply because it already is finished.

davidw

it WILL be finished, simply because it already is finished

Wow. Talk about a contraction in terms. :D

I think Im Dead
Just a couple.

davidw
Ste wrote:If you see no logic in what i'm doing, get over it, and stfu because its MY project

Isn't it really the project of the person doing all the work, i.e. Dave?

007bond
How many times do I have to spell it out to u Ste: I am not codingmasters. Nobody else is still going on about that crap.

davidw
Pssst, 007Bond. Before you tell anyone you're not Codingmasters again, I'd edit a few words out of your signature. You know, the ones that say "Codingmasters". :wink:

Bit of a giveaway.

007bond
Hey, just because my website name is codingmasters, doesn't mean I am.

davidw
Oh, of course not. I didn't mean to imply you were.

I'm nothing to do with Davidw but just bear an amazing similarity to him. :D

007bond
Well your username is probably davidw because your first name is David and w is the first letter of your last name

GameBoy
007bond wrote:Well your username is probably davidw because your first name is David and w is the first letter of your last name

so why is your website, the same as his, and you're location. wait don't tell me.... you're brothers???

davidw
Nope. Just pure coincidence. :P

007bond
So what about the location. Just because the location may be the same, I would say that Australia is too general. For all I know he could be in Darwin, for those of you who know where that is.

GameBoy
then explain why BOTH web addresses are the same?

007bond
Well I don't know. Ever thought that he might of just linked there because his name is codingmasters?

GameBoy
007bond wrote:Well I don't know. Ever thought that he might of just linked there because his name is codingmasters?

HAHAHA!!! that's pathetic....

He makes a username, and has that as his web address, then all of a sudden he leaves, and YOU sign up. Such a coincidence that a guy linking to your website used to use these forums to... omg, what a small world this is. you're a fucking faggot, just admit it.

007bond
Ste, you are stupid. You don't believe anyone.

I think Im Dead
Ste wrote:you're a f*** faggot, just admit it.

I find that really offensive, Ban offensive.

Cryophile
Castle of Doom website:

Castle of Doom
Created by Stuart Perriman, Matthew Swiegers, Chris Veitch, Justin Caruana,
Matthew G, Alex Walker and Ben Fox

Note the Matthew G there. Also, the website and email are the exact same. You appeared right when codingmasters left. You can't deny it if you have the same NAME.

codingmasters
Tell me: did it ever occur to you guys that this might just be true as to what 007bond is saying? I thought I'd just link to this site. I jsut didn't realise that I'd actually meet the guy who made it online! Because of that I removed the website link and everything to do with that.

paul_one
Oh for christ's sake - I think he just killed off several thousand brain cells >.< .

Anonymous
WHAT THE FUCK??? you RETARD. How obvious is it now, that you're codingmasters.

You still haven't answered the question of WHY you're name is on 007's website.... WHY you have the same email, WHY you have the same website, WHY you live in the same country. You're a fucking retard, we KNOW who you are, we're not as stupid as you.

007bond
I'm not codingmasters. The reason Matthew G is on my website is because he is another guy working on the project with me. And no, that Matthew G is not codingmasters.

Anonymous
HAHAHA!!!! carry on man, this is so fucking hilarious. you are so funny AHAHA!

davidw
"I'm not Codingmasters" says the guy with Codingmasters in his sig. :wink:

GameBoy
davidw wrote:"I'm not Codingmasters" says the guy with Codingmasters in his sig. :wink:

rofl, so exactly who's side are you on? lol

davidw
My own.

paul_one
SCORE!
*picks up the ball and runs for it*

007bond
you know what? You guys are complete idiots. The whole lot of you. The only reason I stay here is so that I can get help from the sane users (namely, Alex, MaDbRiT, Steve, and other guys like them.)

davidw
Don't stay for my sake.

steve the gaming guy
007bond wrote:you know what? You guys are complete idiots. The whole lot of you. The only reason I stay here is so that I can get help from the sane users (namely, Alex, MaDbRiT, Steve, and other guys like them.)

Me Steve? I didn't think I was that helpful. I certainly try. If I discover an easier way to solve a problem, I'd post it. Maybe there's a different Steve wandering around here. If not, thanks for mentioning me!!

steve :P 8)

GameBoy
steve the gaming guy wrote:

"007bond"

you know what? You guys are complete idiots. The whole lot of you. The only reason I stay here is so that I can get help from the sane users (namely, Alex, MaDbRiT, Steve, and other guys like them.)

Me Steve? I didn't think I was that helpful. I certainly try. If I discover an easier way to solve a problem, I'd post it. Maybe there's a different Steve wandering around here. If not, thanks for mentioning me!!

steve :P 8)

i prefer to be called Ste funnily enough ;) lol j/k i'm helpless :P

Cryophile
I'm perfectly sane. I just don't like it when someone makes a new username and lies all the time. Everyone should lay off each other and Alex should close all flame threads. 007Bond: You are Codingmasters. If you admit it maybe people won't flame you as much.

Another alternative is to make a flame-only forum.

GameBoy
votes on Rants forum, but it should only be postable by people with 600 posts or more :P

paul_one
I haven't even posted against anyone yet :S .... Although I do find it irritating when people ask for the answers straight off, and not help to find an answer.

I second the vote to close this thread.

... And he's supprisingly correct - I am an idiot! Although I fake intelligence quite well :D .

Cryophile
I have nothing against 007Bond/Codingmasters. If I flame anyone it's due to their methods.

GameBoy
S1aY3R wrote:I have nothing against 007Bond/Codingmasters. If I flame anyone it's due to their methods.

I didn't mind him until he started posting as 007Bond, and tried to say me and the rest of the forum are stupid by lying about his true identity when all the proof was there.

Cryophile
I feel the same. I never flamed him before. I wouldn't even call it flaming now, unlike some of you.

GameBoy
Just to let you all know, M:RPGe has become extremelly popular over the net. Not as popular as Konfuze (Although some things in the Konfuze engine have been inspired from M:RPGe), but alot of people are using the source.

Thank you and goodnight :D

I think Im Dead
Been away for a while, saw this thread, ahh the laughs.

reposting because it's hilarious.

GameBoy
wow, at one time you were posting things which were actually amusing. Now your jokes are old, boring, and repetative. Google a life.

davidw
Nah. Any joke that has a dig at Zelimos can never be old.

GameBoy
wow, you guys are losing your touch. Or maybe you just never had it in the first place :roll:

cooldud12314
hey Zelimos can you post the page where i can get ur engin plz been looking for one thats better than playerworlds and urs seems to be perfect! if uve been ban then e-mail me the link at [email protected]

paul_one
If he was banned, then why would he be hanging around here?

GameBoy
Forgot about this topic...

FINISHED!

http://www.player-realms.co.nr

Since I first posted this topic, I've learnt to be quite a good programmer. Check out my engine (Which I've done all the programming for by the way).

Freak
My first impressions:
- I was curious about what the scripting language is like, but the website has no content.
- I downloaded, installed and attempted to run it. I got a MSWINSCK.OCX not found error.
- I did some searching, and registered that file from the "Dependancies" directory.
- The documentation mentions there's a premade account so I can log "strait" in.
- I managed to get it running, and found myself in a fully black, empty world.
- The documentation doesn't have mention of "how to create a map", or "sample worlds to connect to"

As such, I can't say anything really definite about it.

Elexxorine
Player Realms has since been updated. There was a forum with instructions on how to create maps and such, but Gameboy, being clever moved servers without backing anything up, so the site's forum has gone. I can write you instructions how to make an admin account and make the maps, etc, if you still want it.

Freak
How about just an existing server?

Elexxorine
You run the servers yourself....

Freak
For now, I'd just like to look at this from a player's POV. I'd just need to connect to somebody else's server to do that.

Elexxorine
What version of Player Realms do you have btw? I may make a game up soon, not now though as I have exams starting on wednesday.

Freak
The newest: 1.0.3

Elexxorine
1.0.3c?

Freak
Probably; I can't check right now because I'm booted into Linux ATM.

Elexxorine
Fair enough, I'd be on Linux to atm if it wasn't that I can't install any as ne keyboard of mouse seems to work, wired, wireless, usb... All don't respond installing linux, they work on grub though... :cry:

GameBoy
You need to install the Media Package.

http://www.player-realms.co.nr

The Media Package contains all the default graphics and sound. The help documentation is very basic I know, but you type in /mapdesigner, click the tile you wish to use, and click the main game screen, and that's how you lay them down.

I'm working on another project right now too, this one is a text-based online game.

Thanatos
Looks good.

Jakk
It's nice to see that some things never change.

GameBoy
Well it's not like I can just stop being awesome can I.

On the other hand, some things do change :P

Here's a screenshot of the mud game:

Jakk
It looks pretty nifty. What ever happened to that sprite RPG game you were working on? I enjoyed that one the few times I played.

GameBoy
Deloria Online?