Sound file source

OurJud
Just wanted to share this place with anyone who makes games that use lots of sound clips. I'm sure most of you are aware of it already, but for those who aren't.

If you use it along with the free programme Audacity, you can just play the clip and record it with Audacity. Once recorded you can clip it to your heart's desire, add fade-ins/fade-outs. You'll need the MP3 plug-in which will then allow you to export the file as an MP3.

https://www.freesound.org/browse/tags/sound-effects/

Silver
Quick word of warning: Don't download the plug-in that Audacity suggests for converting wavs to mp3 as you'll get a load of malware thrown onto your PC. I speak from experience.

OurJud
Silver wrote:Quick word of warning: Don't download the plug-in that Audacity suggests for converting wavs to mp3 as you'll get a load of malware thrown onto your PC. I speak from experience.

It was a long time ago that I downloaded the program and can't even remember where I got the plug-in from, but wherever it was from, it was clean.
I must have searched for it separately.

Silver
There are other ones. My memory is hazy but the word 'Lime' is ringing a bell for some reason.

Silver
Ignore that, I think the one that Audacity suggests is called Lame. I'll have to see if I can find what was suggested to me. I use Soundforge anyway and Kontakt 5 but they're payware apps.

OurJud
I did a bit of searching and it seems Audacity does use Lame/Lime (whatever they are). I honestly can't remember what I used or how I'd find out, but I do know I didn't pay for it or suffer any malware issues.

Silver
What I did was follow some link within Audacity itself and got malware as a result. There's probably alternative ways to search for it. I have been told but I think it was by pm in facebook and I deactivated my account months ago.