Reducing game-tree size

OurJud
I've noticed that when you create a new room, as an exit from another room, it places it in the tree as a stand alone room (rather than containing it in the room it exits from).

Because of the order in which I've built my world, this sometimes means that an exit from a room may be way way down the tree and things can become confusing. To try and keep things in order, I've just spent 10 minutes dragging various rooms into the rooms from which they exit. A quick test and I didn't detect any errors, but have I made a terrible mistake doing this, by changing the default way the game places the rooms in the tree?

If you look at this screengrab from my tree, you can see how all my apartment rooms are now within the starting room (bedroom). Before this, each room/exit was alone in the tree, making the tree very long. Is this okay?
nesting.jpg

george
I'm guessing it doesn't matter where rooms are. It's only important for items and characters where moving them around changes their location.

Alex
Well, now your lounge is technically inside the bedroom, so it might show up as an object there.

A better approach might be to create a "bedroom zone" room, then have the bedroom, lounge, bathroom and kitchen all inside that.

Silver
That sounds a good idea. 'Rooms' that are effectively just folders and have no in game function.

OurJud
Alex wrote:Well, now your lounge is technically inside the bedroom, so it might show up as an object there.

A better approach might be to create a "bedroom zone" room, then have the bedroom, lounge, bathroom and kitchen all inside that.

Well, I don't use hyperlinks, Alex, so it certainly won't show up as an object that way. As long as it won't affect the game's mechanics and functionality, that's all I'm concerned about.

Marzipan
Alex wrote:

I was having the same problem as OurJud and was just fixing to try this, glad to know it works. :) Forgive me if I bring ADRIFT up again, but that's the only other system I have experience with, and the ability to organize everything into folders is one thing I've really been missing here.

OurJud
Marzipan wrote:

"Alex"

I was having the same problem as OurJud and was just fixing to try this, glad to know it works. :) Forgive me if I bring ADRIFT up again, but that's the only other system I have experience with, and the ability to organize everything into folders is one thing I've really been missing here.

I think I'll go and create 'zone' folders for all my connected rooms - I'm getting very lost in my tree :?

OurJud
My tree has just gone from approx 16 inches long, to this! Mind you, that's with everything closed up, but it's infinitely easier to find my various locations now.

I just prey my game works now I've done all that.
tree2.jpg