A Testament of an Amatuer Programmer

Entropic Pen
I was working on "Welcome to Dream Valley" when the amazing idea of comparing it to "My Little Time KIller" in terms of size in kilobytes. To my surprise I found that My Little Time Killer in it's published form is about 184 kilobytes which is pretty big considering it's just all text with no pictures or sound.

Now as some of "Welcome to Dream Valley's "fans" know, I've put out a lot of content and some of the most diabolical programming the Quest Engine has seen (to my knowledge), and how big is it? 200? 400? 8999? To my surprise, it is in it's published form, 90 kilobytes. Now how is that possible? A game that is more like an interactive novel with little combat (and effort) is larger than a game with a barter system, a turn-based combat system with weapons and armor and a variety of enemies, and gambling possibly be smaller?

The theory: "Welcome to Dream Valley" has less redundant data.

I define "redundant data" by how it is eliminated: If I code a function to perform an action, then re-write it to do the same action but with less code, then I just eliminated redundant data.

Now that doesn't mean less coding = better game arbitrarily, but it is good practice to attempt to do more with less.

Alex
I don't think you can really compare those games by file size - Ponyville is a Quest 4 game I think. Quest 5's .quest files are compressed, but they also include the full content of the core libraries, so it's hard to make a meaningful comparison.

Entropic Pen
Good point. Now I feel like a douche bag. Unless I compare it to "My Little Time Killer" which is made in Quest 5.4 along with "Welcome to Dream Valley"... which believe it or not Welcome to Dream Valley is smaller in terms of file size and I know for sure why: My Little Time Killer is full of redundant coding.

Welcome to Dream Valley: 89 kilobytes (with v0.3)

My Little Time Killer: 184 kilobytes