Knightmare

Carrot
Challenge are currently re-running series 1 & 2 of Knightmare, and in searching the web I stumbled across one person here who is (or was) making a game loosely based on it.

I don't know if it is just me, but I had to turn the subtitles on to understand the Wall Monsters - but that got me thinking, so I started writing a brief walkthrough of each episode - especially the riddles, and thought I would share it with you guys.

Treguard wrote:Welcome watchers of Illusion, to the Castle of Confusion. Phase with us now for this is the time of adventure. I, Treguard, issue the challenge. Beyond that portal lies the dungeon of deceit, which I alone have mastered but those of you who cross the boundaries of time must master it also. The first is now without so… enter stranger!

Your quest through the dungeon is for truth and justice. Justice, of course, is blind and when you don this helmet, you’ll also become blind though you’ll find there’s just enough vision to find and examine objects directly beneath.

Now the dungeon ahead is an alien place, and so to sustain your progress a sprite of energy will travel with you. It is your own life force and must be fed with food, which will be occasionally found on your quest. On condition red, you are in great peril for this is no game for a player with numerous lives and when this one's done, your adventure is over.

To feed your life force, you place any food in this knapsack. But place only food there because any other objects will also be consumed. You will of course find other objects on your quest, choose them and use them with care. And remember, you may only carry two at a time.

Now, I'm constrained to offer you certain final warnings so listen to my words very carefully. On your quest, I shall be with you and yet not with you for there are places in the dungeon where even I may not safely go. The way to truth is tortuous, there is no correct route through the dungeon but the right path can be found using logic and guile. The only way is onward, there is no turning back...

Listen most carefully, for the casting of even minor spells is a tickleish buisniess and must be performed according to the ritual, lest the magic misfires and the spell turn upon you.

To invoke the magic, one must call out in a loud, clear voice "spellcasting" followed by the letters of the spell in the right order. Once used, some spells must be dismissed, lest the effects turn on the dungeoneer. The chant here is "Dispell" followed by the right letters, but in the wrong order.

[Series 1] - [Episode 1] - [Team 1 (David Campbell: David Hemp, James Hogget, Lucien Morris)]

Entrance - A stone room with a flagstone floor and 4 exits, NW, N, N & NE, all blocked by a portcullis. On the floor are the letters, "O" "N" "P" & "E"

Puzzle (collect letters to spell “OPEN”)

Exit 3rd door from left

Clue room – A room with stone walls and a checkerboard flagstone floor, a bricked up door to the N and an open door E.

There is a table here, (Pie, Lamp, Ruby, Symbol)

A wall monster (Olgarth) appears with riddles - 1 correct to pass on, 2 to aid and 3 to command. Fail and die.

[list=1][*]On Earth I was born. Deep fires tempered me. Mountains slept on me. My father was younger than I and a sculpter gave me my face. What am I made of? – Stone[/*:m]
[*]Made like me, the mountains stand. The tallest object in our land. Give name to him. – Ben Nevis[/*:m]
[*]Once by magic I was cleft. In my chest a sword was left. Ten years of pain I then endured. Then came a prince who pulled it forth. Name him now and gain reward. – King Arthur.[/*:m][/list:o]

2 scored - Clue "Justice lies on the right but he who seeks it must be fleet of foot."

Exit E

Bomb Room - Walls with cracked plaster and a sandstone flagstone floor and an archway N.

WARNING - Bomb with burning fuse

Exit N

Stone Bomb Room - A stone room with another burning bomb. A portcullis blocks an archway W and the bomb blocks an archway NE, a remaining exit lies N.

Exit N

Lillith's Lair - A chasm, you are on the E ledge and Lillith is on the W ledge. There is an exit in a serpents head in the N wall.

Offer Lillith the Ruby from the Clue Room and she spans the chasm so you may exit.

Exit N

Great Corridor of the Catacomb - A stone corridor with 2 exits on each side, the floor is made up of hexagonal stone and sandstone slabs arranged in a diagonal pattern. In front of each door on the floor is a painted symbol

Exit 1st E (symbol matches the symbol in the Clue Room)

Well Room - The room is in near complete darkness.

Required the lamp from the clue room. No lamp, -DEATH

===

[Series 1] - [Episode 1] - [Team 2 (Mave Macavoy: Christina White, David Walker, Lee Miller)]

Entrance - A stone room with a flagstone floor and 4 exits, NW, N, N & NE, all blocked by a portcullis. On the floor are the letters, "E", "A", "S", "S", "M", "E"

Puzzle (collect letters to spell “SESAME”)

Exit 2nd Door.

===

[end of episode]

"Treguard

Warning, Team. Complete temporal disruption approaching. Time is now the enemy,

Oh dear, temporal disruption complete. Time flies as the Romans would say although all continues in your world, here time has flown. All adventuring must now cease until you phase with us once more. Will our team triumph on the next level? or will our dungeoneer come to a sticky end? And if so, why should you care? For here, nothing is real and everything must surely be an illusion. Join us again for Knightmare and just keep telling yourself, it's only a game, isn't it?"

I'll post the other 3 up soon.

R2T1

and 4 exits, NW, N, N & NE, all blocked

While I don't know the game, I am mystified as to how you can have 4 exits and 2 of them both be North?

Carrot
R2T1 wrote:

and 4 exits, NW, N, N & NE, all blocked

While I don't know the game, I am mystified as to how you can have 4 exits and 2 of them both be North?

Ok, maybe I made that a little unclear, sorry. Basically there were 2 exits in the north wall and one in each corner. Maybe it would have been better to call them W, NW, NE and E.

I'll do episode 2 later.

This YouTube video of Episode one might make it a little clearer - don't worry, the remaining episodes were never as verbose as the first :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBQL4zsyKLk

Alex
Yay, Knightmare!

(That is all I wanted to say really)

Carrot
I have to say it was Knightmare and the Fighting Fantasy/Lone Wolf series of Game Books that really got me into I.F. - Long before we had a computer.

Alex
Just saw this, Knightmare live at the Edinburgh Festival!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... e_location

Carrot
Alex wrote:Just saw this, Knightmare live at the Edinburgh Festival!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/184 ... e_location

Thanks for that - didn't know they had a KS going, although I had stumbled across their FB page a about a week or so ago.

Pity all the "take part in the show" slots have gone.

Carrot
Treguard wrote:A quest is now in progress, so here's a progress report.

Our first team came from Bedfordshire,
They boldly went and bravely tried,
And though they bribed their way to fame,
They still forgot the vital flame,
And so when darkness blackly fell,
Their game was up, and so farewell,
Now the dungeon is challenged by dungeoneer Maeve
And her three advisors, four adventurers from Lancashire,
They're out to prove that Northern Brits
Can conquer all by broad and wits,
And now time turns, the fire burns,
time out is gone, the quest is on!

Here is the helmet of Justice, which blinds you to the way ahead. Here, the knapsack for food to feed your life force. Two objects only, may you carry, if you discover objects in the dungeon. Choose cautiously and use the magic or weapons of your enemies with care.

A word of warning, the dungeon is obscure, so any knowledge of previous quests will be of little use. Your life force energy is condition green and your spirits are high. The silver spurs of squiredom await your success, but remember - once embarked, the only way is onward, there is no turning back.

[Series 1] - [Episode 2] - [Team 2 (Mave Macavoy: Christina White, David Walker, Lee Miller)]

Entrance - A stone room with a flagstone floor and 4 exits, NW, N, N & NE, all blocked by a portcullis. On the floor are the letters, "E", "A", "S", "S", "M", "E"

Puzzle (collect letters to spell “SESAME”)

Exit 2nd Door.

Bomb Room - Walls with cracked plaster and a sandstone flagstone floor and an archway N.

Exit N

Wyrm Room - A sandstone room, a fireplace lies W with an ornamental shield and swords above. To the N are 2 exits, the left is blocked by collapsed rubble.

DANGER - Wyrm

Exit N

Clue room – A room with stone walls and a checkerboard flagstone floor, a bricked up door to the N and an open door E.

There is a table here, (Bread, Soap, Gold, Comb)

A wall monster (Granitas) appears with riddles - 1 correct to pass on, 2 to aid and 3 to command. Fail and die.

[list=1][*]What runs yet has no legs and has a bed but never rests. - A River[/*:m]
[*]what is the man like monster of the snows whose face and form nobody knows? - Abominable Snowman[/*:m]
[*]Name me now the sword that was found in stone yet lost in water? - Excalibur[/*:m][/list:o]

2 correct - CLUE: All that glitters is not gold but those that incur foul language may have to wash their mouth out.

3 correct - EXTRA CLUE: All that glitters is not gold and she that lies in wait values her appearance more than base metals.

Exit E

Lillith's Lair - A chasm, you are on the E ledge and Lillith is on the W ledge. There is an exit in a serpents head in the N wall.

Required the comb from the clue room. No comb, -DEATH

===

[Season 1] - [Episode 2] - [Team 3 (Simon Nichols: Simon Tobin, Jonathan Talbot, Steven Squire)]

Entrance - A stone room with a flagstone floor and 4 exits, NW, N, N & NE, 3 are blocked by a portcullis, the 3rd from the left has a large gold keyhole.

On the floor are what look like to be 3 pieces of a broken key.

Puzzle (collect parts of key to create whole key and unlock keyhole door.)

Exit 3rd door from left

Giant room - A cavern, a ledge on the left runs S-N, there is a pit to the E with a Giant in it. There is an exit N.

Danger - Avoid Giant's Sneeze

Exit N

There is a table here, (Pie, Key, Symbol, Silk Scarf)

A wall monster (Olgarth) appears with riddles - 1 correct to pass on, 2 to aid and 3 to command. Fail and die.

[list=1][*]The blade that cuts may feed the cow, the friend that trusts may break a vow. 'Tis all a saying when common said, so give the name of nature's bed. - Grass[/*:m]
[*]Four elements fashion thee. Name all four or else, avaunt thee. - Earth, Air, Fire & Water.[/*:m]
[*]What is laid and served, is not a table and almost a bird.[/*:m][/list:o]

2 Correct - CLUE: The key to the door is not always key shaped.

3 Correct - EXTRA CLUE: She who lies in wait will smile on those who bear her favour.

Exit E

Exit N

[End of Episode]