An awkward introduction (but everything I do is awkward)

tlk
So I feel a little silly making a whole thread, but I figured it might be a good idea to say hey. My name is Justin and while I've been gaming since I was pretty small I'm new to IF (outside of Choose Your Own Adventure books, anyway...), though I always thought it would be something I would like. I've had the idea to try and make a text adventure for years and eventually stumbled onto Quest last year whilst looking into how, and have been playing around with it for a while and working on a handful of different games and experiments to learn how to do things. Not that everyone here doesn't know it already, but it's pretty awesome. A lot of the coding is still over my head, but I'm picking it up and working more and more with the code itself, which is really pretty satisfying. It's not quite what I pictured from watching Hackers, but... (Hackers? Anyone?)

Anyway I've been lurking on here for a while to help work out problems, but I thought it would be better to make an account and maybe actually join in since I'm starting to even have a bit of insight into things, and also to connect with other people into the same thing. Hopefully before too long I'll have some form of complete game to share, but I tend to get in over my head with creative things and am a bit of a perfectionist, so it might not be too soon, heh.

Alex
Welcome! Good to have you on board :)

Liam315
Welcome! It sounds like we're in the same boat. I only started less than a couple of months ago and I know exactly what you mean about the satisfaction from working more and more with the code itself, especially when you have practically zero previous coding experience. There's nothing like learning a new feature, realising what you can do with it, implementing it and after some fiddling, finally getting it to work like a dream.

I look forward to checking out your game. :D

tlk
Ha, definitely. I saw an if script joke on a shirt the other day and was so pleased that I understood it. Thanks, Quest.

And thanks for the welcomes!

sgreig
Welcome! Glad you enjoy the software!

Just out of curiosity, what was the IF statement joke? :)

tlk
Thanks! And here:

The shirt's available here