Who I am and what I'm doing

TriangleGames
Hi, I'm Evan Williams, but I always go by Triangle Games online, or when designing games elsewhere. My family had a dairy feed business named "Triangle Grain" that went under when I was very young, so ever since I was a kid I've wanted to start a game company named after it. That should show I'm a sentimental fellow.

I started looking at programming back on the old Apple ][e when I was about twelve.
At twenty, I had a brief stint in community college where I took a course on Introductory Programming. It mostly taught me how to make flow charts, read hexadecimal, ask and return a user's name, print "hello world," etc. (and also what the guy in Office Space who insists he's a "people person" actually does, and why it matters.)
Off and on over the ten years since, I've toyed around with various "maker" IDE's like SUDS and Enterbrain's RPG Maker series. I've also done some self study in C++ and C# (mostly For Dummies books), visual studio, etc. I actually made the beginning of a text game from scratch in C++, but I had some trouble with it.

Now, I'm a stay-at-home father of two (Mr.Mom), who is trying to find some way to exert my creative ideas into something that anybody might care about. So, I try to find time to work with "makers," like Quest!

For a variety of reasons, I have been doing most of my work with Quest on my smart phone through the WebEditor. For anyone who may be thinking about that, I caution you strongly. My browser doesn't display the editor quite right, among other things. The last issue I had was spending a week trying to figure out how to use two wait commands in the same area. When I finally broke down and asked, Alex told me what I needed to do, and it was EXACTLY what I had done in the first place, a week ago. It turns out, that in addition to the editor being wonky, the play-test doesn't run entirely smooth either. Almost every time I try to run it on my phone the game hangs at the second wait. When I run it on an actual computer, it works just fine. So I spent a week trying to fix something that wasn't broken just to end up asking a question I didn't really need to, all because I didn't realize the phone's browser was the problem. Suffice it to say, from now on I will be double checking any future problems I have on a good computer.

P.S.: I'm also an avid table-top gamer, and have worked on non-electronic game design such as board games, RPG's, and even a CCG.