The Epic Thread of Random Off-Topicness

For general chat about anything else

Moderators: Pertex, Alex, sgreig, Cryophile, jaynabonne

Thanatos

The Epic Thread of Random Off-Topicness

Postby Thanatos » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:16 am

People are worse than animals.

Petition signed. My jaw broke my keyboard. I hold back vomit as I type this even now.

These "men" do not deserve life in prison. They do not deserve life!

They deserve the pain that they put that Fox Terrier through, doubled thousands of times. Cut their hands off at the wirsts, their feet off at the ankles. Next rip their eyes from their heads and slice their noses off. But leave the ears, and I'll tell you why. So that every cry of every babe, every scream, every sound of women shrieking at their approach "Dear god what is that thing!" will be theirs to cherish in their perfect ears.

I am sick. But IMO, they deserve it.

Besides, the whole conversation of mankind supiriority over natural wildlife (The term animals sounds too much like an insult) is plain silly. The sick thing is, is that if those murderers where chimps doing it to another, people would be laughing instead of standing(or sitting) shocked, mouth forming a perfect O.
Last edited by Thanatos on Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve the gaming guy

Re: There is no God.

Postby steve the gaming guy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:03 pm

This is quite a horrific act. I think a better statement than "There is no God" would be "There is a Satan".

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:03 am

Ah, but how can evil exist without good and vice versa. True there could be a god and no devil, or the other way around. But if there was only evil, then they would be nothing for it to be compared to and would simply be the norm. Without context, all is meaningless.

Btw, I agree completely that that was an unspeakably horrible thing to do. This is why I like animals better. We claim to be better though, words like 'humane' and 'animalistic', there meanings should different. Only man with his 'conscious' has destroyed countless acres of land, killed millions of its own species and other, wiping other species out without care, and started to destroy the very balance that supports life here. Man, with his 'religion' as excuse for greed and racism, 'civilisation' destroying the world and 'morality' which seem to put himself above all else. Truly, man is the worst beast of them all.

Thanatos

Postby Thanatos » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:54 am

Well, certain men are worse than animals. Personally I don't think I'm that terrible.

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:26 am

There are exceptions to the rule.

steve the gaming guy

Postby steve the gaming guy » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Please don't misunderstand. I was not saying there is a Satan and no God. I was implying that it's not God's fault that these men committed such a terrible act.

Thanatos

Postby Thanatos » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:14 am

*shrug* His fault for not stopping it.

Lumino

Postby Lumino » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:49 am

I'm not sure that's a valid argument, Than.

Part of the point is that each man does as he wishes. If that guy wanted to hack up a puppy then fine...he pays the consequences. His actions are his own, God has no responsibility. If God stopped every bad thing from happening, the world would be "perfect". But there's no such thing as perfect, and there is no happiness without sadness. Basically what elexxorine said. It's all about context. Some would say that God should only then stop the major transgression, the big evil, and let little things go wrong--but if that happened, there would be people who asked, "Why did God save that man and not me?"

Sadness and evil are not pleasant things to have around. But without them, there would be no happiness. This is the tragedy that is the human condition! :P

-Lum

EDIT: Just wanted to make it clear, I do not in any way support what that guy did, it's sick and wrong. Puppies don't deserve that kind of treatment.

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:58 am

Those who believe in god would then argue that evil exists so that the good may stop it.

Only I would turn a topic about tortured puppies into a philosophical debate. Sorry....

If god stops only major transgression, why didn't he stop the holocaust, the jews are meant to be his chosen people too!

steve the gaming guy

Postby steve the gaming guy » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Lum, very well said. That's basically how I was going to respond to "His fault for not stopping it". I would just be restating what you already said so I will hush on that for a bit.
Elex, I believe in God and I don't argue that evil exists so that good may stop it. I believe evil in the world exists because of the beginning when Adam and Eve disobeyed God and ate the forbidden fruit... sin enters the world.

Think of it as a philosophical discussion. An informative exchange of opinions and theories. I'm all for that. :)

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:24 pm

That's bad is when people say they're right, everyone else is wrong and won't even listen to arguments. It's hypocritical to say you can have an opinion and no-one else can. Personally, I describe myself simply as 'theist' when asked, as I believe there is a god. But my view is that when people write down what god said, they will always put there spin on it. The very reason the god is a 'he' is because when the books were written it was a male dominate society (hence jesus' main disciples being male, he had others who were woman too, but the main ones were male simply because of society). If god wants me to do something, or not, or anything like that then he/she/it/they/whatever can tell me straight. Until he/she/it/they/whatever does so, I'll live like I always do.

Back to the topic of being mean to animals. Me and one of my best friends find the rats on campus cute, some other people do too, but most don't like them. They don't do any harm though, they eat the food that people carelessly leave lying around. I'm one of those people who when traveling around london, will ignore all the buildings and instead find the one tree visible, or a squirrel, whatever and look at that. Nature is lovely but so often missing. The feel of walking barefoot on grass with the sun above warming you so nicely, ah to be young and care-free. I'm lucky that my campus has lots of trees and grass, etc around. My window has the tips of lots of trees, and the half block out the engineering towers behind them. My only wish would be that my room is on the other side of coridoor so the rising sun would wake me in the morning, it comes into view around noon only cos my room sticks out a little. Sigh....

Thanatos

Postby Thanatos » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:57 am

*plays the smallest violin* I say that in a nice way.

And, incase your wondering, I'm Athiest.

Elexxorine

Postby Elexxorine » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:09 pm

Where you always atheist? What about your parents (and extra parental people)? I'm not trying to convert you, I just like knowing these kinds of things, I'm weird like that.

steve the gaming guy

Postby steve the gaming guy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Everyone can have a different opinion. Logically, only one can be right. In simplest terms, if the question were is there a God or not. Some people say yes. Some say no. Only one of those answers is correct, be it yes or no. It can't be both.
The reason why God is a "He" because he is referred to as the Heavenly Father. A Father is a He. Jesus was God's son. A Heavenly Father (God) and an earthly mother (Mary). He had 12 disciples per the Bible (God's Word). I never heard of female disciples. It's not a sexist issue. I just don't know where you got that information from.
God does tell you straight how to live your life. The guidelines are in the Bible. Most commonly known are the ten commandments but there are so many other important things to learn from the Bible.
I sound like I'm preaching, ha.

Atheism. Why did you decide on being Atheist?

Here's something. Evolution and creationism are not proven theories... they remain theories. It has been said that the theory of evolution came about in the 1800s to justify our existance and leaving God out of the equation. Up until that time period, it had been commonly known and believed that the world was only a few thousand years old. Evolution came around to suggest millions of years. Just giving you things to think about. :)

Thanatos

Postby Thanatos » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:06 pm

In this day and age I fail to see how anyone can be religious at all. I recently heard a quote that was so perfect.

I think it's kind of interesting to note that people learn about God around the same time they learn about Santa clause. Most kids find it hard to give up on the pleasant notion of Santa, yet they manage to do it. Why are you as adults believing in things that you should have given up as children? After all, there is as much evidence in the existence of God as there is in Santa, and you managed to get rid of him.

And it's so true. Children are brainwashed to believe in god from a young age, and their religion's ridiculous ways. There is a large majority of people in America that don't believe in evolution, and that's just pathetic. Everyone is entitled to their own view, but believing in something without evidence is just silly. Do Christians even read their bible? I'd bet atheists know more about their religion than they do. The bible tells its followers to murder people who don't believe in god. How disgusting and violent is that? How can you follow something that wrong? Sure that's the old testament, and many will say that's not supposed to be followed. However who decides that you can pick and choose what aspects you follow? I've compiled some of Youtube's best atheist videos explaining how religion is wrong and immoral, and repulsive.
Link 1
This is my favorite one. It basically describes how christianity is a repulsive religion. If you find a christian that has read the bible they might say "Only the old testament contains violent acts such as stoning." Well, that's wrong. It's both of them. Video length 10:34
Link 2
This one proves how god's plan is impossible. Ever hear a christian say "it was meant to be" or "god wanted it to happen". Well he didn't, and here's why that is a load of nonsense. Video length 4:58
Link 3
Think you can get in to heaven? Well you're mistaking. The steps to get into heaven in the bible are impossible. Every step has an equal contradiction. You're forced to sell everything you own, but than later in the bible you're supposed to give everything away. This makes no sense..*sigh* I'm doomed and going to hell. Video length 8:36
Link 4
You don't need to watch this one, it's quite repetitive. Basically he prays for three different things to happen and measures the amount of time it really happens. (None) He then wishes it will happen with a lucky horse shoe in hand, and counts the number of times it happens. (None) Point is that prayer is as stupid as a lucky horse shoe. Video length 10:23
Link 5
Jesus says in the bible that he will appear to you if you pray. Author of the video prays, but sees no jesus. Why? Jesus is not real. Video length 4:32

If you bother to leave a comment, please don't say "OMG UR AN IDIOT1!! LAWL". Please state why I'm an idiot, and have the facts to back it up. Tell me why I'm incorrect to assume that there is no god. Thanks.

And to answer Elex, no. My parent(s) are not athiest(s) and did not convert me.

Return to “General Discussion”