Vehicles?

RedTulip
Cars, bikes - whatnot. I know it's kinda simple, but I have no access to Quest 'cause my PC's broken.

All I know about vehicles is maybe I could make a type called "vehicle" and set it as an enterable container (wouldn't want to make it as an object/room, it's supposed to travel around rooms).

What I don't know is, if the player enters the vehicle, it's supposed to travel around with the character. So that, after the player types "get in car", for example, then the player could type directions and drive there as if it were a real car.

Of course, when the player types "exit car", they wouldn't be driving the car anymore.

Any ideas? Thanks. :)

Pertex
RedTulip wrote:
What I don't know is, if the player enters the vehicle, it's supposed to travel around with the character. So that, after the player types "get in car", for example, then the player could type directions and drive there as if it were a real car.

But where is the advantage of a car then? You can do the same just by walking.

RedTulip
Well, maybe the next room is too far. So before the player goes to that room, he/she is supposed to be riding a car... And if the player is not, it would print a message saying it's too far.

Pertex
Ah, I thought of vehicles where you get in and then jump to a spezific location by typing 'drive to location'.
Here is another solution. If you enter the object car, the player is moved to an new location named 'car'. This location is your car in a way and you can move to other locations as usual. Every location has its own 'exit car'-command which moves the player to a spezific location. Have a look at car.aslx

Jsimmons
I've actually figured out a way to do this. In which, you make the vehicle a "Room/object" that you can go in. If you make the traveling scripts "If" Scripts, by saying "If the player is in the car, move car to location" then when you get out of the car, you are in that location. Its very simple really, but, the one downside of this, is that the scenery in the car doesnt change without a lot more "if scripts" and you'd have to get out of the car to see where you are.

Liam315
You should be able to include the scenery of the room the car is in, even whilst you're in it. All you need to do is make the room description of the car a script rather than text, and so something like the following:

msg ("You are sitting in your car.")

msg (game.pov.parent.parent.description)

The important part is that second line, how you want to grammatically link it to the fact that you're inside the car is a different story.