Contests anyone?

XanMag
Just a thought...

What would you all think about having periodical contests on this site? Say... monthly?

Some questions/statements:
1. Has this been tried before on this website? If so, how'd it go?
2. I think if we advertise contests on a couple other sites (Intfiction, IFDB, et al) we could increase traffic here which would be good for all (right?) Most TA sites have contests periodically.
3. The contest games would be required to be relatively small games - kind of like side projects to our bigger projects. We wouldn't want the prompts to consume our every effort especially within a month window. We all procrastinate enough already! Right, Marzipan?
4. The prompts would be heavily judged based on writing skills, game design, and 'enjoyability' - three things that ALL TA/GB writers should put at the forefront. So, anything super fancy or difficult to achieve with Quest is certainly welcome but not required - we wouldn't want to scare off new Quest users!
5. I'd be willing to create the prompts/challenges/rules/guidelines as well as be a judge. But, if I judge, I probably couldn't enter my own game! Perhaps the heavy users on this site could rotate judging so they could participate. I would NOT want to leave it up to the public because, well... you all know how many 5-star troll gamer-buddies spam 5-star rating to poor games.
6. I'm thinking that if I/we decide to set this up, we'd need it advertised on the home page so it gets views. I'm still not convinced that many people visit the forums. Perhaps I'm wrong? Alex, I'd like your input on this when you get a chance.
6. As for prizes... Hmmm... For incentive, maybe the winning game gets placed on the homepage under 'April Contest Winner' or reserve one of the three spots under the editors choice category? Monetary rewards are pretty much out of the question unless we have some sort of closet millionaire hiding among us! :shock:

Anyway, I thought maybe this might add incentive for those of us who lack motivation. That, and it might be kind of fun!

How would it go? Let me know what you think. Happy Gaming!

XanMag

The Pixie
It has been tried before, with the plan of making it annual. I started to create an entry for 2013, but still have not finished it.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3506&hilit=competition
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4219&p=28378&hilit=competition#p28378

The problem was the lack of entries. Trying for monthly is... optimistic.

XanMag
Such a shame, it sounds like fun,
it seems the contest won't be done,
Is it because of time or stress
that gamers cannot put forth their best?
Or maybe numbers are too low,
Unlikely that we'll ever know.
If thoughts change and masses rise,
I will be eager to devise
rules and judging for the game,
But until that time, go search for fame
in your private hum-drum lives...
So lame.

Just kidding. You're not ALL lame! Just some of you. :)

Just having a little fun. But, seriously, if you all want to toss ideas around maybe we can hash out a mini-comp or something? Or just personal challenges to one another... throw down the gauntlet of sorts? Anyway, feel free to let me know. Happy gaming!

The Pixie
here is a challenge for you: An entire adventure all in poetry.

XanMag
How'd I know that was coming?

I've started, but by God it's hard
to rhyme all things. I'm NOT a bard.
I'll try my best as it be,
but please do not judge me

Unless you think the game is great?
If so, I wait a 5-star rate.

bgbg
Poetry would not be out of place in this jam. Can you do iambic pentameter?

XanMag
The game is done.