Expand categories (or new categories)? And a PaM session =)

XanMag
Is it possible to expand the number of games that fall into a category?

It doesn't seem like much work on your end (or at least I don't think). I ask because I think most players that come to the site look on the first page and that is it. If it's not there, they never see it. So, if there were, say, 6-9 games in each of the categories (editor's picks, top rated, latest, and classics) they at least might stay on the main page for a few days. Or, better yet, have a whole new category where a select few games go that are elaborate and thoughtful - maybe a couple trusted moderators can only route games to that category? Every game I have played that has been publicly published (and it has been a LOT) in the last month or so has been pretty much garbage with the exception of a small handful. You can call me a TA elitist or a TA snob, but... correct me if I am mistaken. Please.

Without advertising and commenting on my own recently released game (which I will not do) just to get it mentioned in the 'New Feed', it is quickly on its way into the released games that very few that venture to this site will ever see. I admit, I'm a bit salty, that after 10 plays while on the home page (for about 40 hours), X2 got bumped from the latest games category after three UNFINISHED games made their way on to the 'latest games' list, when in fact they are probably better left in the uncategorized or sandpit category.

On top of that... there are 14/18 (or close to that) games on the first page of the 'latest games' page that have been categorized that are not complete. Hell, a handful of them only have ONE room!

You can give me that 'as long as you enjoyed making the game' it was worth it bit... and I half buy that... X2 was a journey in madness, happiness, frustration, and accomplishment regardless of who plays it or how many play it. I really did have fun making it and I'm proud of it, but the bottom line is that I DO want people to play it. Yes... I'm a bit biased. I know that. I apologize if I sound like a big baby. I will continue to create games because I enjoy it that much. It makes me wonder, however, how many really good games have been created on this site that I'll never know about. And... it is a b!tch to try and find them the way it is currently set up. Or... maybe I should just be more patient? :lol:

Anyway... perhaps a simple solution for authors in my shoes is to create another simple category for games that obviously lots of time, effort, and creativity went in to making. From my experience, there are about 2-3 per month that might fall into that category. Just a thought.

OurJud
I like this idea. The game's covers/links could be half the size they are, allowing for more to make the main page and stay there for a time.

Alex
There shouldn't be unfinished games under "Latest Games" - they should be in the Sandpit. If they've been misfiled then please move them (if you're a mod) or email me the links and I'll do it.

jdpjdpjdp
How is this for an idea: take the top two rows of the front page -- currently "Editor's Picks" and "Classic Games" -- and instead put up six games that the editors/mods/whoever makes these decisions deems "Best of Last Month". You pick what you think are the most quality games from the previous month and stick them up there for people to see, then the next month they get swapped out. It brings more eyes to the best of the newer games, without effecting the "Latest Games" category.

I think it'd be much better than the current set-up. The Editor's Picks don't get changed often enough IMO, and "Classic Games" hasn't changed since I discovered this site two years ago. Plus I think the idea of promoting "Classic Games" is a bit unnecessary anyway... do we really need to get more people to play "Zork" or "Hitchhiker's Guide"? That's top-of-the-front-page real estate... the most valuable space for advertising games on the whole site, and it's being used to promote two 30+ year old games (and a 15 year old game), none of which have any connection to Quest or the Quest community.

A "Best of Last Month" category would be a great way to sift through the crap games everyone complains about, find the good stuff, and give it a place of prominence that should get those games more (deserved) attention AND, I would argue, bring more repeat views to the site, because if people like what they see they'll know that a new crop of games will be up and featured next month.

The whole "does Quest have an image problem" debate that rises up every so often stems from the steady stream of crappy little unfinished games that dominate the "Latest Games" category. I think this idea would be a good counter to that, and a great way of letting people see the best of what Quest can do.

Just some thoughts...