Spell checker

OurJud
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but would it be very difficult to add a spell checker to Quest?

Metamorforme42
If you will check number of magic point you have before using the spell and after player says he uses it, try to set a magic point's integer (a general integer or a spell's specific integer) and in the script for using the spell, write something as :
Specific spell function:

if (player.magicpointsSpell1 > 0) {
FunctionWithSpell1Effects
}
else {
msg("You can't do that !")
}

OR

General spell function ( add a required variable named SpellName)

if (player.globalMagicPoints > 0) {
ConsultListOfSpells(SpellName) }
else {
msg("You can't do that !") }

and a ConsultListOfSpells (with SpellName required)

switch (SpellName) {
case ("Spell1") { /* Here insert spell1 effects */
}
case ("Spell2") {/* Here insert spell1 effects */
}
/* etc. */
}

Now, I hope you have a beginning of solution, (you can consult quest documentation here :http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ).
PS: and next way, you can post here : viewforum.php?f=10 because this forum is "for core library, C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET or JavaScript developers contributing to the Quest open source project "

OurJud
Very sorry, MF, I should have made it clear I meant for the Quest's UI, not the games themselves.

jaynabonne
That's funny... :)

There are a few spell checkers out there. With the new Quest development pending, perhaps something like Google Spell could be integrated.

http://orangoo.com/labs/GoogieSpell/

(I have looked at this basically 0% so far. It might be wholly inappropriate.)

HegemonKhan
chuckles... textual-spell checker vs in-game-magic-spells checker, hehe :D
(it never occured to me that 'spell checker' could mean in-game magic spells checking, laughs)

Metamorforme42
I'm very confused, at any moment I supposed you means textual spell checker because I only knowed this meaning for spell.
I suppose I can progress in English xD

jaynabonne
Perhaps "spelling checker" will make it less confusing. Something that checks the spelling of your text.

Silver
Would be nice to have one included in the UI. It would also be a pain in the rectum when it starts highlighting code you happen to enter into text inputs. Run any great volume of text through a word processor and cross your fingers that your testers highlight the rest.

OurJud
Silver wrote:Would be nice to have one included in the UI. It would also be a pain in the rectum when it starts highlighting code you happen to enter into text inputs.

Never thought about that, although so long as you refer to the UI mode rather than code mode, it's only going to be the text that players eventually see that will have its spelling mistakes highlighted.

I'm not altogether sure everyone fully understands what I mean. I'm talking about a spell checker for when writing your room descriptions, dialogue... in short anything that's going to end up in the game. I quite often have to open up another tab and use google to check the spelling of certain words. It would just be really handy if Quest did it for you, in the same way this forum's post editor does.

HegemonKhan
@Metamorforme42

in English, 'spell' has both meanings (as Jay differentiated well: english 'spelling' or as 'magic spells' used~casted in the game), so you didn't misunderstand, and actually that's good thinking, as I would never have thought of it to possibly mean that (magic spells), and it was a good laugh too, as we all just assumed that the poster was asking about english spelling checking (we all were caught as dumb group thinkers), whereas you intelligently recognized that the poster could have been asking about 'magic spell' checking. hehe :D

Silver
There's another meaning: that of a period of time.

The weather is rainy with some sunny spells.

Silver
There's another but it's a colloquialism. When someone gets a bit of wood of wood trapped under their skin it's called a splinter. In Teesside it's called a spelk. Bizarrely some call it a spell (only found this out recently) and I assume someone once misheard or mispronounced spelk and it caught on.

OurJud
Silver wrote:When someone gets a bit of wood of wood trapped under their skin it's called a splinter. In Teesside it's called a spelk.

In my house it's called f*#%ing painful!

HegemonKhan
Splinters made us tough, over my entire childhood I always had at least 10 splinters impaled in my skin, we had wooden playgrounds, swings that we would jump off of trying to make it past the sandbox stone wall, breaking our legs upon that wall as we came up short, merry-go-rounds that we'd ride on while pucking and flying off of them, we'd climb to the top of the playground and jump down 10+ feet to the ground, we'd play dodgeball knocking unconscious in the head or knocking their breath out of them as the ball sweeps their legs out knocking them to the ground hard, tetherballs that we hit so hard that it was really dangerous for us trying to stop it (along with having the rope wrap around our arms, nearly so tightly to sever our arms), and etc stuff that I've forgottened. Back then, playing outside was actually a lot of fun, as it was actually dangerous.

The concept of a splinter is totally alien to our youth, no wooden playgrounds, all pansy-plastic playgrounds, no swings that kids jump off of, pathetic.

Silver
Playgrounds nowadays have rubber floors designed to look like tarmac. We had actual tarmac. Usually with broken glass strewn all over it.

HegemonKhan
or actual sand, with all those bees~wasps everywhere... laughs.

and ya, besides our sandbox playgrounds and the grass~dirt~rock and 'gopher pothole broken ankle' fields, we had hard hot black asphalt everywhere, no rubber like nowadays.

jaynabonne
Unfortunately, sandboxes tended to attract things like cats and users of hypodermic needles... :roll:

HegemonKhan
ya, cats' feces was~is a problem too (they really do love sandboxes, a giant litterbox for them, laughs)... though as a kid, I never noticed it, along with all of the bird poop on all of the metal bars... how I didn't die from serious infections... I don't know, laughs.

never had the hypodermic needles problem though when as a kid at playgrounds (in school or at parks)...

Silver
I once did the electrics on the Tyne Bridge. Jay must know it given that he lives over that way. I had to pull armoured cables from one side to the other in the services space that exists on the level just below the road. You can walk from one side of the bridge to the other but you can't stand up straight.

And nobody obviously had any kind of cleaning contract for that area. Why should they, given it's not accessible to the public?

For those who never get to see the underbelly of landmarks, I can assure you it was a puddle of pigeon crap from one end to the other. You can get lung problems from breathing in that stuff.

jaynabonne
I like to go walk on the Tyne Bridge during my lunch break at work. Fortunately, it's above the pigeon-y underbelly. Though, I wouldn't mind seeing those sorts of hidden places from time to time..

(I had to look back up to remind myself what the original topic for this thread was. Boy, we have gone off on a tangent, haven't we? :) )

Silver
Tangents are good. For forums, anyway.