Embedded Fonts in Quest

sgreig
So, I was talking to Alex a bit recently about how to use CSS embedded fonts with Quest to give more options than the standard ones available. The methods we discussed haven't worked so far, so I'm wondering if we could brainstorm a way of getting them to work in Quest.

Fonts are embedded using a CSS element called @font-face. Using @font-face, you specify the location of the font, and then add it to the font styling for whatever element you want to style with that particular font. It is supported across all major up to date browsers with some conditions, such as IE only supporting fonts in the EOT format, etc. A common workaround is to provide the font in all formats like this:

@font-face {
font-family: 'SilkscreenNormal';
src: url('slkscr-webfont.eot');
src: url('slkscr-webfont.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),
url('slkscr-webfont.woff') format('woff'),
url('slkscr-webfont.ttf') format('truetype'),
url('slkscr-webfont.svg#SilkscreenNormal') format('svg');
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;

}

Alex believes the font would need to reside on a webserver with an absolute path in the CSS as the way it's structured in the example won't work with Quest. Also, he suggested placing the CSS code in an HTML document and including it through the insert command, but it didn't work. I have to assume it's because the CSS rules in the playercore.css file overrule any styles that are applied. Modifying the playercore.css file doesn't seem to make a lot of sense though as it wouldn't work with the web player, as it would be using the unmodified playercore.css file.

So, can we think up any ways that could be used to implement the ability to add embedded font support in Quest?

Pertex
So do you want to find a way to include fonts with Quest 5.2 or do you want to find a way how Alex could change Quest to get this working?

sgreig
Well, I'd love to find a workaround for 5.2, but helping Alex find a solution for future versions would be great too.