Removing, Re-Establishing panes/cmd bar

XanMag
I know this topic has come up before, but after searching, I don't think there is a proper solution yet so I thought I would check again?

I have an introductory video created in PPT. It runs when the game starts and ends with a key press after the intro is over. I want to be able to remove/hide the panes and the input box during the introduction. When the key press signals the end of the intro, I want those things to return. Is there not like a HidePanes type of code like there is the HideCommandBar? That would be nice =)

Possible ideas I have and would be perfectly happy to use, but have no real clue how to implement are:

1. Remove them (or turn them off) on start up, have them show up when player is transferred to the starting room.
2. Hide them and make them reappear.
3. Have them turned off and transfer the player to a new file start up (with panes/command visible/useable) at key press.
4. Is it possible to start the intro room off with entirely black colors so that it blends with my background (making it invisible) and change it back to the original colors at key press?
---
Yucky, but better than nothing....
5. Attach a link to the game description that the player can click separately from the game file - which obviously would make the intro optional (boo!) - this I could do and wouldn't need help with.
6. Leave the panes visible, but disable all mouse/keyboard activity until key press.

I know this is a mess of a post, but... there you have it. Thanks in advance!

----

This is the old version of the title intro if you are interested in looking at it. It's been updated since this post and is much better, but you'll get the idea about the panes on the right side. I do have the command box hidden here so that's not an issue.

http://textadventures.co.uk/games/view/ ... title-test

Pertex
request (Show, "Panes")
and
request (Hide, "Panes")

chaosdagger
I was wondering, is there a way to remove only certain panes? Or do you have to go all in or none?

HegemonKhan
I believe so, just instead of using 'panes', you use the name of that specific pane... just got to know what those exact names are...

not sure if these names work, but you can try em:

Compass
Status
Inventory
... no idea of what the name would be for the 'Places and Objects' pane

------

there's threads on this stuff, but I am too lazy to look myself for them. Try in the 'libraries and code samples' forum-board...

The Pixie
You need to use JavaScript, but it is not that tricky. See here:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5111#p35351

chaosdagger
Cool thank you both :)

Deckrect
I was planning to remove the compass but supposed it was not possible. Interesting topic and tutorial, Pixie. However I do not understand where things should go.

Is there any easy recipe a dumb like myself would follow to remove the compass?

The Pixie
Where it goes depend on when it has to happen. Can you say more?

Deckrect
As I am dealing with the game mostly as a game book (thanks to your tips, by the way ) I will not need it at all. Exits points to story decisions, just the same as page links. Compass is completely useless during game. Feels like a wart : ugly and pointless.

HegemonKhan
for a Text Adventure game: use the 'start' Script Attribute of the 'game' Game object for where to put the code for removing the Compass:

'game' Game Object -> 'Scripts' Tab -> 'start' Script -> (add in your remove Compass scripting)

(the 'start' Script is run at the very start of playing your game, making it good, for example, for an RPG's 'character creation', or for removing a pane such as the Compass pane, hehe)

(the same can be done in Game Book, by setting your first page's, which is the page that contains the 'player' Player Object, 'Page Type' to either: [script] or [script+text], and then adding in the scripting you want to occur when the game starts)

Deckrect
Ok. Now I know the where. The GUI has no option for disabling the compass. So, what code am I supposed to type there?

JS.eval ("$('#compassLabel').css('display', 'none')")
JS.eval ("$('#compassAccordion').css('display', 'none')")

I guess JS means java script. But I confess I never seen it before!

Deckrect
Uhu! I did it! You people are the best! Thank you all!

Is there an easy way to hide the room name for just one room? I tried, in true XanMag hack-fashion, to change the color of the font in the Alias name to match my background color and that worked well and good except for the stupid green period at the end of the room name (as I'm sure that is handled internally by Quest). lol

Thanks again.

EDIT: If it's too big of a mess, I can leave it. Five seconds into the room a video plays that covers up the dot anyway. If it's EASY, let me have it!