Making a "Continue" button

bitterkarella
I notice that some Quest games will, if something triggers a really long text message, break up the text by requiring the player to click "continue" to make more text appear. Does anyone know how to do that? Thanks!

HegemonKhan
in the GUI-Editor:

run as script -> add new script -> find/use the 'wait for key press' Script

-> add new script (repeat/add as needed) -> (add in the script/s that you want to activate after you press a keyboard key or click on the blue 'continue' hyperlink in the big text box during game play)

or, in code:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... /wait.html

wait {
// the scripts you want to activate after you hit a [keyboard key] or click on the blue hyperlink 'continue' in the big text box during game play to continue
}

bitterkarella
Thanks, much obliged!

HegemonKhan
just for full detail/explanation, if interested or needed:

example of a split up message as you were asking for...

in GUI~Editor, an example using the 'start' Script Attribute of the special 'game' Game Object:

(the added scripts in the 'start' Script Attribute of the special 'game' Game Object is what happens at the very start of the game play of your game)

'game' Game Object -> 'Scripts' Tab -> 'start' Script -> (see below)

(my leftmost "arrows", ->, represent the indenting/nesting required and in the GUI~Editor, this means you got to click on the correct 'add a new script' circle buttons... as the wrong one, is the wrong indentation/nesting, which is vital in order for your scriptings/actions/functions/verbs/commands/etc to work as you want it to work)

(1) run as script -> add new script -> output (I think this is the category name lol) -> 'print a message' Script -> [MESSAGE] -> print [MESSAGE] blah1
(2) add new script -> whatever the category name -> 'wait for key press' Script
(3) -> add new script -> output -> 'print a message' Script -> [MESSAGE] -> print [MESSAGE] blah2 blah2
(4) -> add new script -> whatever the category name -> 'wait for key press' Script
(5) ->-> add new script -> output -> 'print a message' Script -> [MESSAGE] -> print [MESSAGE] blah3 blah3 blah3

in code, an example using the 'start' Script of the special 'game' Game Object:

<game name="xxx">
<attr name="start" type="script">
msg ("blah1") // (1)
wait { // (2)
msg ("blah2 blah2") // (3)
wait { // (4)
msg ("blah3 blah3 blah3") // (5)
}
}
</attr>
</game>

-------------------------

will output/produce this during game play:

blah1
continue... // (you press a keyboard key or click on the blue continue hyperlink)
blah2 blah2
continue... // (you press a keyboard key or click on the blue continue hyperlink)
blah3 blah3 blah3

---------------------------

quick explanation of why the correct indenting/nesting is vital, are these the same outlines? And, which is the correct one, and which is the wrong one? :

(scripting's 'order of operations' structure works generally in the same way as does an outline's structure)

I. earth
-> A. continents
->-> 1. europe
-> B. oceans
->-> 1. pacific

vs

I. earth
-> A. continents
-> B. europe
->-> 1. oceans
II. pacific

by just changing the indenting/nesting, I completely screwed up the outline's structure!

'europe' is supposed to be a continent (inside/contained-within the continent category)
'oceans' is supposed to be a type of plate of the earth's crust (inside/contained-within the 'earth' category)
'pacific' is supposed to be an ocean (inside/contained-within the 'ocean's category)

see how the indenting/nesting (in the GUI~Editor, this is determined by what 'add a new script' circle button you're clicking on - make sure you click on the correct one) is critical for what you want and/or to be correct in what you want?