Publishing on Game Jolt?

Shades
Hello,

A friend of mine pointed me to the Quest toolkit when she discovered that I am a writer who enjoys designing games and adventures. I'm considering using it to develop a game for a jam on Game Jolt, but I am unsure whether Quest will publish in a format that will allow its inclusion on that site. According to the tutorial, the game produces a *.quest file for publication. How is this file utilized when presenting the game on a third party site like Game Jolt, or selling it on itch.io?

Would I be better off using a different toolset for such purposes, or is Quest suitable for this?

Thank you.

Anonynn
http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/

^ check out that link. Quest is an open-free software. You can sell your game however you like. Once you start designing it, the game is completely yours! Make sure to thank, Alex :) ! Hope that answered your question.

BTW, what is Game Jolt?

Shades
Hey, thanks for responding.

Game Jolt is a place for people to upload, share, and showcase the games they make. They are offered for free on that particular site. It also hosts a variety of whatever game jams its members decide to host.

The information in that link you provided is actually what prompted me to ask my questions. Knowing that it specifically states that whatever I make is free to be shared, sold, or whatever, what I am asking is *how* am I to accomplish the feat of making my game available on third party sites? I have not yet discovered a means of compiling it into a stand alone application, and as far as I know there is no means to easily do this.

How do you publish something as your own game when it is in a format that will not run on its own?

HegemonKhan
you'd probably have to ask Alex, and/or wait for Alex to make a compiler/converter for what you need. I think you can also ask Pertex too, as I think he's involved with it also, and thus knowledgeable on it.

Alex' is currently working on totally revamping Quest, (called 'QuestKit' as the next version of quest) so that it uses JS (JavaScript) directly, allowing it to be more universally acessible.

There's an old antecated JS/Java (can't remember which), but it probably won't work for you (or for this current version of quest).

anyways, I don't really understand much of this stuff, but you can take a look at it here:

viewforum.php?f=15

and there may be a developer forum/github/whatever site too, but you'd have to ask Alex, as I can't find it, if it's publically available (maybe it was converted over into the 'quest kit' forum board, meh)