Cannot "look in" (solved)

Zephyrus Scary
I'm sure this question must have been asked before, but the forum refuses to search for "look in" because "look" and "in" are too common...

It's as the title says: looking in all directions works fine except "in" or even "inside", which results in a "I don't understand your command" error.

look in1.png

look in2.png

I have no idea what to do, since it seems like such a simple command that follows a basic pattern. Help?

XanMag
I can understand why this gives quest problems, I think. Quest doesn't understand because it's looking for a noun to end that command - like look in box.

Anyway... My solution would be to create a command for the room you want to 'look in' from - look in; look inside; look into

Then, run a script that prints the message you want when the player looks in. If it is universal look in, that's fine. The room command overrides the game command. I think...

Zephyrus Scary
Huh... Seems a little silly that would conflict, considering "look" works just fine by itself...

Anyway, thanks, XanMag. I now have the command "look #exit#", which does nothing but print exit.look (and "look" and "look at" still works)... oi.

XanMag
Just a confirmation. I messed around with it and 'look in' does not work. Weird. My explanation, albeit a guess, does not explain this, because I created a box and tried to type 'look in box' but it did not understand that either. Just out of curiosity, anyone know why 'look in' does not work when referencing an exit?

HegemonKhan
maybe the underlying Command's coding's 'pattern' is:

look; look at #object#

'at', but no 'in/inside' given for an alternative 'pattern', maybe?

Zephyrus Scary
BETTER SOLUTION:

Apparently, "print exit.look" doesn't work if the exit.look is "run script" instead of text, so after a little fiddling and testing, I believe that setting "Command: look #exit#" to "run an object's script attribute" (using the same object and attribute, natch) should work with everything.