Insufficient Memory. Quest or my computer or something else?

erekerendo
I am making an RPG. One page of my game has at least 20 pages of code. It is complex because it is handling character creation. On this page with so much code I keep having quest crash and claim the system is out of memory half the time I try to save or run the game and after some edits too.

I am working on a cheap pc I got for $75 but can run the Sims 3 no problem. Is quest the problem or my pc? I have no other programs running.

How do I fix this? I've put 6 days of work into it and am almost done. I'd hate to quite.

The Pixie
Open up the Windows task manager (right click on the bar at the bottom of the screen), go to the performance tab, and you check how much RAM memory you are using. Go to the processes tab, and you can see how much Quest is using. I am not sure if Quest grabs a set amount, and you get that message if Quest exceeds that, or if it can keep grabbing more and more; I guess the latter, so if you play your game and watch Quest's memory usage you should see it go up and up.

So what is the problem? Is there a list or dictionary you add new things to in a loop that can keep going for ever? Are you recursively calling a function (i.e., calling a function from itself, or one function calls another that then calls the first), and it has got in a loop maybe?

erekerendo
I did this and my cpu usage hovers around 79% durring the issue. Otherwise it's around 5%.

I'm simply having a large tree of if/than/else than set object attribute functions running.

I have the makings of a really good indie game here if I can get past this.

The Pixie
I was talking about memory, rather than CPU, but what you describe indicates an infinite loop of some kind, so is a clue. I am guessing a problem in your code, not your PC.

Would you be prepared to upload it? You can attach files to posts if you go to the full editor, and someone could take a look, see if it happens on their PC, and hopefully find out why. Do it with a PM if you prefer; no guarantee when I can look at it, but hopefully next couple of days.