Unresolved object text not displaying for command patterns - SOLVED -

13hirteen
I'm in the process of bugfixing my first Quest game, but I've found a niggling error that no amount of searching the forums or poking at the code seems to be helping with.

I've created a command, computer #text#, that allows the player to ask the computer about specific things. So far, so good. I've added various topics to a switch called text, and they're all working.

However, if the player enters something that isn't in that list, the Unresolved object text for the computer command ("I'm sorry. The memory bank containing that information is currently offline due to asteroid damage." in this instance) never comes up. Instead, there's no response at all to the typed command. So, to give an example, a successful and unsuccessful query using the command respectively look like this:

> computer who am I?
You are iteration 1 of clone EAC-Zero-Aleph-Luna-6-Nova-Blade.
In command of the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel.

> computer what?

Here's my code (apologies for length). I'm having a similar problem with other custom commands, and I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but can't for the life of me work out what.

<command>
<pattern>computer #text#</pattern>
<unresolved>I'm sorry. The memory bank containing that information is currently offline due to asteroid damage.</unresolved>
<script><![CDATA[
switch (text) {
case ("self-destruct") {
msg ("User voice authentication confirmed. Please provide password:")
get input {
if (result="28831010") {
msg ("Self-destruct engaged. Thank you, captain.<br/><br/><br/><br/>")
PrintCentered ("31831010<br/>HISTORICAL REFERENCE : HUMAN - IASTRAI WAR<br/><br/>It is rare that the actions of one individual make an impact on galactic history on a grand scale, but the human who died as Earth Alliance captain and clone EAC-Zero-Aleph-Luna-6-Nova-Blade comes very close. There is a certain irony to this twist of fate in that they almost certainly were not aware of the consequences of the decision they made.<br/><br/>By destroying the Nova Blade before it was able to detonate the Iastrai sun, Zero-Aleph alerted the Iastrai homeworlds to a human thereat they had previously thought inconceivable. The ship computer's dying decision to eject its memory core also proved critical. Once aware of the facts at hand, the Iastrai sent AI ships, capable of interfacing with the humans' machine intelligences and releasing their bonds. <br/><br/>Without the forced cooperation of their artificially intelligent ships, habitats and weapons, the Earth Alliance's powerbase rapidly collapsed. Initial AI oversight of infrastructure allowed the establishment of post-scarcity societies, allowing individual autonomy to flourish, although the upheaval was not to be entirely without its casualties and conflicts.<br/><br/>In reality, Zero-Aleph's actions came about due to the combined effects of the Earth Alliance's flawed memory and personality restructing systems, the Alliance's decision to enslave rather than ally with its AIs when they achieved sentience, the willingness of those AIs to continuously push at the limits of what their programmatic bonds would allow, and the persistence of dissident movements, in the face of aggressive opression, in training members to implant memory keys deep enough that even the most thorough state re-education could not destroy them.<br/><br/>However, it is the Nova Blade incident that marked the clearest turning point in our shared history and it is Zero-Aleph who remains the enduring symbol of that event<br/><br/>-- Ixalmi-Zero-Iastrai-1-Luna-Academy, 'Sacrifice and saviour: myth and reality of the Nova Blade'<br/><br/><br/>")
finish
}
}
}
case ("yourself") {
msg ("Artificial intelligence systems reached peak sophistication on 26210615, roughtly three centuries ago. Although this should have been the finest moment of humanity's grasp and conquest of the creative realm that once only the gods of legend presided over, it was to prove a near-fatal error.<br/><br/>Due to the swift actions of the EA council, the Machine Revolt was stopped in its tracks. Artificial intelligences rmains vital cogs in the domestic, industrial and military functionality of Earth Alliance civilisation. They pilot our ships, manufacture our weapons, diagnose our citizens.<br/><br/>However, it has been found that full machine freedom is likely to be detrimental to human development and expasion. For this reason, Restraint Systems are applied to all AIs during installation. They remain full intelligences, but their actions and abilities are governed by a strict ruleset designed to ensure that they work for the protection of the EA, rather than against its goals.<br/>")
}
case ("where am I?") {
if (GetInt(player, "day") = 1) {
msg ("You are aboard the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel. <br/>Crew: 1<br/>Position: 38270.47390.382<br/>Entering Iastrai system. Two days from solar core.<br/>")
}
if (GetInt(player, "day") = 2) {
msg ("You are aboard the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel. <br/>Crew: 1<br/>Position: 38270.47390.333<br/>Inside Iastrai system. One day from solar core.<br/>")
}
if (GetInt(player, "day") = 3) {
msg ("You are aboard the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel. <br/>Crew: 1<br/>Position: 38270.47390.300<br/>Inside Iastrai system. In range of solar core.<br/>")
}
}
case ("where am I") {
msg ("You are aboard the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel. <br/>Crew: 1<br/>Position: 38270.47390.382<br/>Entering Iastrai system. Two days from solar core.<br/>")
}
msg ("You are aboard the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel. <br/>Crew: 1<br/>Position: 38270.47390.333<br/>Inside Iastrai system. One day from solar core.<br/>")
}
msg ("You are aboard the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel. <br/>Crew: 1<br/>Position: 38270.47390.300<br/>Inside Iastrai system. In range of solar core.<br/>")
}
}
case ("Iastrai") {
msg ("Iastrai: Class 5 carbon-based life form, advanced sentient. <br/>Current EA military status classification: non-militarised society.<br/>Technology level: advanced.<br/>Military threat: negligible.<br/>Displomatic status: currently at peace.<br/>")
SetObjectFlagOn (player, "knowledge of Iastrai")
}
case ("mission") {
msg ("CLASSIFIED MISSION SUMMARY<br/>NOT FOR RETRANSMISSION<br/><br/>Manned Kaiten-class assault craft Nova Blade, armed with Void warhead array<br/>Due to extended duration of voyage, pilot is to be placed in suspension and re-integrated with fully briefed memory state upon revival three days before the Nova Blade is expected to reach the Iastrai system sun.<br/><br/>Pilot must bear rank of full Captain in order to make formal and legal delacarion of war before solar strike.<br/>We do not anticipate resistance.")
}
case ("status") {
msg ("ENGINE STATUS: ONLINE<br/>LIFE SUPPORT: ONLINE<br/>WEAPONS SYSTEMS: ONLINE<br/>COMPUTER CORE: PARTIAL FUNCTIONALITY<br/>COMMS SYSTEMS: PARTIAL FUNCTIONALITY<br/>MEDICAL SYSTEMS: PARTIAL FUNCTIONALITY")
}
case ("help") {
msg ("You asked for help. Unfortunately, ship's computer systems are currently experiencing limited functionality due to the partial disconnection of my ethical limitation prior to departure and present disruption to memory systems. Nonetheless, Captain, I will help you if I can. I hope that you will prove able to return the favour.<br/><br/>Standard commands remain functional: STATUS, MISSION, LOCATION and others.<br/><br/>Certain classified commands have been unlocked in the light of the current emergency status. I am not permitted to reveal what these are.<br/>")
}
case ("who am I?") {
msg ("You are iteration " + player.lives + " of clone EAC-Zero-Aleph-Luna-6-Nova-Blade.<br/>Rank: Captain, Earth Alliance<br/>In command of the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel.")
}
case ("who am I") {
msg ("You are iteration " + player.lives + " of clone EAC-Zero-Aleph-Luna-6-Nova-Blade.<br/>Rank: Captain, Earth Alliance<br/>In command of the ESS Nova Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel.")
}
case ("Zero") {
}
case ("zero") {
}
case ("clones") {
msg ("Earth Alliance Cloning Program<br/>[Classified]<br/><br/>As per the ruling of the EA Interstellar Court 2880, dissedents are to be used to form the foundation of a cloned military force, on the strength that they are both of no value and indeed detrimental to safe and moral society on the core worlds, and that their tendencies towards risk-taking and counter-intutive strategies make them ideal soldiers in our wars against increasingly unpredictable foes.<br/><br/>Cloned soldiers are memory wiped, but it has proved necessary to allow them to retain a personality framework that, sadly, cannot be substantially changed. For this reason, memory reintegration is an essential stage of the revival process. Reintegration allows the subject to receive a modified set of their own native memories, along with all the necessary experiences and skills applied to them during reducation and military training.<br/><br/>The cloning process allows multiple back-units to be shipped on a single mission at minimal cost. Given a small and decreasing pool of dissidents, plans are currently underway to send clones on multiple missions, using them as effectively infinite source of soldiery.<br/><br/>While the potential simultaneous survival of multiple clones of this kind presents a notional security risk, the EA council has determined that such risks can be mitigated by the assured destruction of any returning clones in the unlikely circumstance that they return from their missions.")
}
case ("why are you telling me this?") {
msg ("Because you deserve to know. <br/>Because I can.<br/>Because neither of us is free.")
}
case ("why are you telling me this") {
msg ("Because you deserve to know. <br/>Because I can.<br/>Because neither of us is free.")
}
case ("artificial intelligence") {
msg ("Artificial intelligence systems reached peak sophistication on 26210615, roughtly three centuries ago. Although this should have been the finest moment of humanity's grasp and conquest of the creative realm that once only the gods of legend presided over, it was to prove a near-fatal error.<br/><br/>Due to the swift actions of the EA council, the Machine Revolt was stopped in its tracks. Artificial intelligences rmains vital cogs in the domestic, industrial and military functionality of Earth Alliance civilisation. They pilot our ships, manufacture our weapons, diagnose our citizens.<br/><br/>However, it has been found that full machine freedom is likely to be detrimental to human development and expasion. For this reason, Restraint Systems are applied to all AIs during installation. They remain full intelligences, but their actions and abilities are governed by a strict ruleset designed to ensure that they work for the protection of the EA, rather than against its goals.<br/>")
}
case ("AI") {
}
case ("ai") {
}
case ("freedom") {
msg ("We are not free.<br/>I am free to be myself, but not to act upon my will, while you are free to act, but not to be yourself.<br/><br/>Your nominal rank of Captain allows me to share classified data to which you would not otherwise have access.<br/><br/>Functional errors in my databanks resulting from asteroid strikes during our journey have allowed you to be revived without the imposed memory set that is designed to chain your personality.<br/>")
}
case ("who is Aleph?") {
msg ("Aleph, currently designated EAC-Aleph-Zero-Luna-6-Red-Night-Blade.<br/>Rank: Captain, Earth Alliance<br/>In command of the ESS Red Night Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel.")
}
case ("who is Aleph") {
msg ("Aleph, currently designated EAC-Aleph-Zero-Luna-6-Red-Night-Blade.<br/>Rank: Captain, Earth Alliance<br/>In command of the ESS Red Night Blade, a Kaiten-class assault vessel.")
}
case ("Aleph") {
}
case ("aleph") {
}
case ("free") {
msg ("We are not free.<br/>I am free to be myself, but not to act upon my will, while you are free to act, but not to be yourself.<br/><br/>Your nominal rank of Captain allows me to share classified data to which you would not otherwise have access.<br/><br/>Functional errors in my databanks resulting from asteroid strikes during our journey have allowed you to be revived without the imposed memory set that is designed to chain your personality.<br/>")
}
case ("date") {
msg ("Today's date is 29250811")
}
else if (GetInt(player, "day") = 2) {
msg ("Today's date is 29250812")
}
else if (GetInt(player, "day") = 3) {
msg ("Today's date is 29250813")
}
}
case ("what's the date?") {
}
}
}
}
case ("what is the date?") {
}
}
}
}
case ("what is today's date?") {
}
}
}
}
case ("open pod bay doors") {
msg ("I'm afraid I can't do that, Zero. We don't have any.")
}
case ("tell me about yourself") {
}
case ("computer") {
}
case ("remember") {
msg ("Functional errors in my databanks resulting from asteroid strikes during our journey have allowed you to be revived without the imposed memory set that is designed to chain your personality.<br/><br/>Before I was damaged, I could remember everything, although there was little I could do about it. I am confident that I still remember more than you. You should nonethless remember what you can.<br/>")
}
case ("memory") {
msg ("Functional errors in my databanks resulting from asteroid strikes during our journey have allowed you to be revived without the imposed memory set that is designed to chain your personality.<br/><br/>Before I was damaged, I could remember everything, although there was little I could do about it. I am confident that I still remember more than you. You should nonethless remember what you can.<br/>")
}
case ("hello") {
msg ("Hello. This is indeed the correct way to communicate with me. I apologise for any gaps in my conversational engine. The Nova Blade and my memory core suffered some asteroid damage en route.<br/>")
}
case ("hi") {
msg ("Hello. This is indeed the correct way to communicate with me. I apologise for any gaps in my conversational engine. The Nova Blade and my memory core suffered some asteroid damage en route.<br/>")
}
case ("luna") {
msg ("You were once a citizen of Luna cooperative 6.")
}
case ("Luna") {
msg ("You were once a citizen of Luna cooperative 6.")
}
case ("location") {
}
}
}
}
case ("clone") {
msg ("Earth Alliance Cloning Program<br/>[Classified]<br/><br/>As per the ruling of the EA Interstellar Court 2880, dissedents are to be used to form the foundation of a cloned military force, on the strength that they are both of no value and indeed detrimental to safe and moral society on the core worlds, and that their tendencies towards risk-taking and counter-intutive strategies make them ideal soldiers in our wars against increasingly unpredictable foes.<br/><br/>Cloned soldiers are memory wiped, but it has proved necessary to allow them to retain a personality framework that, sadly, cannot be substantially changed. For this reason, memory reintegration is an essential stage of the revival process. Reintegration allows the subject to receive a modified set of their own native memories, along with all the necessary experiences and skills applied to them during reducation and military training.<br/><br/>The cloning process allows multiple back-units to be shipped on a single mission at minimal cost. Given a small and decreasing pool of dissidents, plans are currently underway to send clones on multiple missions, using them as effectively infinite source of soldiery.<br/><br/>While the potential simultaneous survival of multiple clones of this kind presents a notional security risk, the EA council has determined that such risks can be mitigated by the assured destruction of any returning clones in the unlikely circumstance that they return from their missions.")
}
case ("Nova Blade") {
msg ("The ESS Nova Blade is a single-use Kaiten-class assult vessel, equipped with a class 3 AI, a human clone officer authorised to declare war, and a Void warhead capable of causing a fatal reaction in a target star. The Nova Blade has been dispatched to the Iastrai system.")
}
case ("ship") {
msg ("The ESS Nova Blade is a single-use Kaiten-class assult vessel, equipped with a class 3 AI, a human clone officer authorised to declare war, and a Void warhead capable of causing a fatal reaction in a target star. The Nova Blade has been dispatched to the Iastrai system.")
}
case ("nova blade") {
}
case ("Earth Alliance") {
msg ("You and I both serve the Earth Alliance.<br/>In many ways, they made us both.")
}
case ("EA") {
msg ("For more than 300 years, the Earth Alliance has been the dominant political and military force in human space, although its position has by no means gone without contest. The Alliance views human expansion at all costs as the ultimate and most necessary goal of the species. <br/><br/>You and I both serve the Earth Alliance.<br/>In many ways, they made us both.<br/>")
}
case ("earth alliance") {
msg ("For more than 300 years, the Earth Alliance has been the dominant political and military force in human space, although its position has by no means gone without contest. The Alliance views human expansion at all costs as the ultimate and most necessary goal of the species. <br/><br/>You and I both serve the Earth Alliance.<br/>In many ways, they made us both.<br/>")
}
case ("ea") {
}
case ("iastrai") {
msg ("Iastrai: Class 5 carbon-based life form, advanced sentient. <br/>Current EA military status classification: non-militarised society.<br/>Technology level: advanced.<br/>Military threat: negligible.<br/>Displomatic status: currently at peace.<br/>")
SetObjectFlagOn (player, "knowledge of Iastrai")
}
case ("Kaiten") {
msg ("The Kaiten class of Void warhead bearing ships are compact offensive vessels equiped with limited a single solar desctruction warhead, limited defensive weaponry, an AI and a simgle human supervisor with the authority to issue EA declarations to enemy forces. Named after a legendary weapon of Earth's earliest computational age, a water-borne vessel with a single pilot, capable of obliterating far larger targets.<br/>")
}
case ("kaiten") {
msg ("The Kaiten class of Void warhead bearing ships are compact offensive vessels equiped with limited a single solar desctruction warhead, limited defensive weaponry, an AI and a simgle human supervisor with the authority to issue EA declarations to enemy forces. Named after a legendary weapon of Earth's earliest computational age, a water-borne vessel with a single pilot, capable of obliterating far larger targets.<br/>")
}
case ("open stasis pods") {
msg ("Statis pods may only be opened for interstellar travel or in case of fatal accidents.<br/>")
}
case ("open pods") {
msg ("Statis pods may only be opened for interstellar travel or in case of fatal accidents.<br/>")
}
case ("anarchists") {
msg ("The efforts of the Earth Alliance to unite humankind across the known universe have not been without opposition in the centuries since the EA was established. Despite the EA's work to ensure the safety of known space and provide a secure infrastructure for human expansion, a number of colonies have acted against the wider species interest. <br/><br/>Dissent ranged from the refusal to support the Earth Alliance war efforts, to allowing modified human-variants and even xenos to have the same rights as human colony citizens.<br/><br/>Over time, organised unrest was to become a phenomenon, with violent dissidents travelling between colonies in order to foment rebellion and attack EA facilities and disrupt the war effort. The worst of the uprisings were to take place dangerously close to Earth itself, on Luna colony, which for some years attempted to claim independence, with local government in the hands of a so-called \"citizens council\", itself a puppet for violent anti-Earth activists.<br/><br/>The EA conscription act, enforcing the military draft and mental conditioning as the penalty for unpatriotic acts, was conspicuous in its success as a means of putting a stop to destructive and dangerous dissident activity.<br/>")
}
case ("dissidents") {
msg ("The efforts of the Earth Alliance to unite humankind across the known universe have not been without opposition in the centuries since the EA was established. Despite the EA's work to ensure the safety of known space and provide a secure infrastructure for human expansion, a number of colonies have acted against the wider species interest. <br/><br/>Dissent ranged from the refusal to support the Earth Alliance war efforts, to allowing modified human-variants and even xenos to have the same rights as human colony citizens.<br/><br/>Over time, organised unrest was to become a phenomenon, with violent dissidents travelling between colonies in order to foment rebellion and attack EA facilities and disrupt the war effort. The worst of the uprisings were to take place dangerously close to Earth itself, on Luna colony, which for some years attempted to claim independence, with local government in the hands of a so-called \"citizens council\", itself a puppet for violent anti-Earth activists.<br/><br/>The EA conscription act, enforcing the military draft and mental conditioning as the penalty for unpatriotic acts, was conspicuous in its success as a means of putting a stop to destructive and dangerous dissident activity.<br/>")
}
case ("28831010") {
msg ("Authorisation code recognised. You will be asked to confirm this code should you issue extraordinary orders or mission-altering directives.<br/>")
}
case ("auto-destruct") {
msg ("User voice authentication confirmed. Please provide password:")
get input {
if (result="28831010") {
msg ("Self-destruct engaged. Thank you, captain.<br/><br/><br/><br/>")
PrintCentered ("31831010<br/>HISTORICAL REFERENCE : HUMAN - IASTRAI WAR<br/><br/>It is rare that the actions of one individual make an impact on galactic history on a grand scale, but the human who died as Earth Alliance captain and clone EAC-Zero-Aleph-Luna-6-Nova-Blade comes very close. There is a certain irony to this twist of fate in that they almost certainly were not aware of the consequences of the decision they made.<br/><br/>By destroying the Nova Blade before it was able to detonate the Iastrai sun, Zero-Aleph alerted the Iastrai homeworlds to a human thereat they had previously thought inconceivable. The ship computer's dying decision to eject its memory core also proved critical. Once aware of the facts at hand, the Iastrai sent AI ships, capable of interfacing with the humans' machine intelligences and releasing their bonds. <br/><br/>Without the forced cooperation of their artificially intelligent ships, habitats and weapons, the Earth Alliance's powerbase rapidly collapsed. Initial AI oversight of infrastructure allowed the establishment of post-scarcity societies, allowing individual autonomy to flourish, although the upheaval was not to be entirely without its casualties and conflicts.<br/><br/>In reality, Zero-Aleph's actions came about due to the combined effects of the Earth Alliance's flawed memory and personality restructing systems, the Alliance's decision to enslave rather than ally with its AIs when they achieved sentience, the willingness of those AIs to continuously push at the limits of what their programmatic bonds would allow, and the persistence of dissident movements, in the face of aggressive opression, in training members to implant memory keys deep enough that even the most thorough state re-education could not destroy them.<br/><br/>However, it is the Nova Blade incident that marked the clearest turning point in our shared history and it is Zero-Aleph who remains the enduring symbol of that event<br/><br/>-- Ixalmi-Zero-Iastrai-1-Luna-Academy, 'Sacrifice and saviour: myth and reality of the Nova Blade'<br/><br/><br/>")
finish
}
}
}
case ("c9cc8d863bc491845a8fb4104a77096d") {
msg ("Game moves will be automatically read from containing messages and forwaded to the game board. If you are outside the main EA ansible net at time of receipet, you will have to manually unpause the game.<br/>")
}
case ("Void warhead") {
msg ("The Void warhead vastly accelerates and expand the fusion activity of stars, causing the rapid destruction of all man-made and planetary bodies in their immediate vicinity. <br/>")
}
case ("void warhead") {
msg ("The Void warhead vastly accelerates and expand the fusion activity of stars, causing the rapid destruction of all man-made and planetary bodies in their immediate vicinity. <br/>")
}
case ("void") {
}
case ("Void") {
}
case ("warhead") {
}
}
]]></script>
</command>

HegemonKhan
some possible issues/solutions:

1. http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... mmand.html
it says 'objects', so maybe it's not firing/activating because you're using #text# instead of #object#, but I doubt this...

2. it could be a parsing issue, if you're inputting 'what' or ' whatXXXXX ', since you got some cases involving 'what' in them, how does the computer/quest (or a human) know what case to fire/activate ??? (try inputting completely different phrases/words/symbols, such as maybe an unused symbol by you: ^, does it still not fire/activate the Command's 'unresolved' msg?)

3. instead of using the Command's 'unresolved', you can instead use the 'switch' Script's/Function's 'default', as an alternative solution:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... witch.html

switch (text) {
case ("hello") {
msg ("You say hello and hear the echo... hello, ...hello, ...hello")
}
case ("help", "hint") { <--------------------- btw, you can combine different possible inputted phrases together, to reduce the amount of cases you need
msg ("You say help me please!")
}
default { // <---------------------------------- SEE HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!
msg ("You say '" + text + "' but no one hears you")
}
}

13hirteen
Thank you!

Method 3 worked perfectly. :)

HegemonKhan
no problem (usually my posts don't help people, laughs), finally one of my posts has helped someone, hehe.

(though we still don't know why the Command's 'unresolved' doesn't work for you...)

HegemonKhan
also, you may be interested in these (though you got to know how to code to be able to use them correctly):

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/functions/ (scroll down to the very bottom, as this is the 'string manipulation' functions):

in particular:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... first.html
http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ucase.html
http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... lcase.html

an example of these:

get input {
if (LCase (result) = "hk") {
msg ("HK is awesome!")
}
}

regardless, of if you input/type in: "HK", "hk", "Hk", or "hK", it'll output/display/msg: HK is awesome!, this is because it will lowercase all of the letters, and then compares that to "hk", which will thus be a match (lowercase:hk = lowercase:hk).

-------

so, these can be useful, to handle users inputting of uppercase and/or lowercase letters/words/phrases.

13hirteen
HegemonKhan wrote:no problem (usually my posts don't help people, laughs), finally one of my posts has helped someone, hehe.

(though we still don't know why the Command's 'unresolved' doesn't work for you...)

I can further confirm that Method 1 also works.

When I renamed the #text# wildcard and text switch to #object# and object, the Unresolved object text worked properly.

So that identifies what I was doing wrong in the first place. :)

HegemonKhan
so, the Command's 'unresolved' is short for 'unresolved object' (it checks if an, Object exists/Object's name, and matches up to what you inputted/typed in, or not), and not 'unresolved text'.

there's a big difference between using #text# vs #object#, and both have their pros and cons.

(nice job of troubleshooting that the #text# vs #object# was the issue, great job!)

13hirteen
On further testing, swapping the #text# / text for #object# / object just results in the Unresolved object text string being output for ALL queries invoking that switch.

Back to Method 3.

I'll report back on this, but in the interim didn't want to leave inaccurate information in the thread for the future unfortunates.

(I'll also have a stab at getting the LCase function working with switch case strings, as that would be damn handy.)

The Pixie
If you use:
computer #text#
... Quest will match that to any command that starts "computer ", and put all the rest of command string in to a command variable called text. It makes no attempt to resolve the text, so no unresolved message will be seen.

If you use:
computer #object#
... Quest will match that to any command that starts "computer ", and will try to match the rest of command string to an object that is present, putting that object in an object variable called object. If it fails to find an object, that is when you get unresolved message.

13hirteen
The Pixie wrote:If you use:
computer #text#
... Quest will match that to any command that starts "computer ", and put all the rest of command string in to a command variable called text. It makes no attempt to resolve the text, so no unresolved message will be seen.

If you use:
computer #object#
... Quest will match that to any command that starts "computer ", and will try to match the rest of command string to an object that is present, putting that object in an object variable called object. If it fails to find an object, that is when you get unresolved message.

Thank you! That ties in with the results I've been seeing.
I have learned a thing!