IFDB listing

XanMag
Not sure if this is the proper forum for this question but here it is...

On the IFDB site there is a box for the "IFID". Quest assigns a Game ID for the game. Mine is:

a0330487-b39d-4d50-808a-6056e2abe23b

Is this the IFID?

Also, above the box in the game editor, it reads, "You should only generate a new ID if you have copied a game to create a new one." If I copied the old .aslx and pasted it in a new folder prior to my most recent publication (as per viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6024), does this count as 'creating a new one'? In short, should I create a new ID before posting to IFDB or is the one listed above sufficient?

Thanks again!

XanMag

Marzipan
That's the ID you use, yes, but I can't really help you with that last question. Seems like it wouldn't hurt to make a fresh one though.

XanMag
Thanks, and there is a section titled "download notes"... is this an accurate thing to put in that box?

"Game is downloadable but requires Quest website to play (textadventure.co.uk) or can be played only online at this site."

jaynabonne
If you try to upload a game to the TextAdventures website with the same ID as an existing game with that ID, it will fail, telling you that there already is a game having that ID. (In other words, it won't let you.) So you need to generate a new ID if you copy a game and wish to upload it.

As far as IFDB goes, I assume if you wish to have two different games there, you'd need two different IDs for them as well.

If you're just copying things around on your hard drive, it doesn't matter if they have the same ID or not.

(Note: I've had problems in the past with the TA site, where I would upload a new rev of a game, and it wouldn't update the contents, no matter what I did on my browser side - cache, etc. But generating a new ID and then uploading forced an update. So I've found another use for the ID.)

Marzipan
XanMag wrote:Thanks, and there is a section titled "download notes"... is this an accurate thing to put in that box?

"Game is downloadable but requires Quest website to play (textadventure.co.uk) or can be played only online at this site."

It requires the Quest runner, not the Quest website. Website implies it can only be played online.

Taking a look at some of the other listings, the standard way to phrase it seems to be something like 'To play, you'll need a [Whatever] interpreter - visit [wherever] for download links.' With a seperate Play Online link pointing back to the play link here.

http://www.ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=h63kzv5acq9s7dak - There's the listing for Jacqueline, Jungle Queen! if you need an example for a Quest game.

That said, you asked about it two days ago so this is probably a little late...

XanMag
This has happened twice now, so I'm just wondering and definitely not upset about it, but...

I have now posted links to my most two recent games on IFDB and I have discovered after posting that the game is already listed on there. It happened with X2 and happened again with Into the Dragon's Den. Evidently the posters are "princess ^sparkle^" and "verityvirtue". I didn't know if that was someone's alter ego from these forum's or what and if I should delete my double posts from those two game or contact them and have them delete their posts. Just wondering. Thanks!

Alex
I think the idea of IFDB is that it's a collaborative wiki, so it's fine for people to submit listings of any game on there. That means it's worth checking for an existing listing before adding a new one. If there's already a listing for your game, you can edit it.

davidw
All of my games are on IFDB, but I haven't added them myself. People helpfully take it upon themselves to post a game on there if they happen to come across one that isn't already present.