Assistance in setting up a game that emulates glitchy AI software

Grids
I am wanting to create a text adventure that emulates a glitchy artificial intelligence computer program.

I thought I would ask a few questions before I get started. I generally switch between GUI and code view but my coding ability is limited and generally involves copying a chunk of code and then changing a few little bits. Hopefully this doesn't get too complex.

1. I would like to set it up so that it appears like the player is using a computer and the software is guiding the player through a set of questions and software 'sectors'. Each room would be a new sector of the software package, e.g. You are now in Memory Database 3.1. Please enter a destination where your family went on holidays as a child....' Is this the best way to do this?

2. I need to get rid of commands like: 'you can see'. is there a simple way to do this?

3. I want a software guide to guide the person through this process and dialogue with them. Is the easiest way to do this to select move the guide to each new room before entering?

4. I want to have the software guide change emotionally based upon some of your responses (kinda like 'Galatea' game). What is the simplest way to achieve this with the least code?

5. I want to have glitchy ambient soundtrack (mp3 files) that changes in different rooms. I want to have glitchy animated gifs in different rooms ( From https://snorpey.github.io/jpg-glitch/). Any tips on creating a multimedia rich game that doesn't take a day to load online

6. I wouldn't mind the text glitching e.g. like this http://codepen.io/DirkWeber/pen/ArFvk
Is there a simple way to do this or is it too complex?

7. Any other ideas for setting up the game.

jaynabonne
Grids wrote:I am wanting to create a text adventure that emulates a glitchy artificial intelligence computer program.

I thought I would ask a few questions before I get started. I generally switch between GUI and code view but my coding ability is limited and generally involves copying a chunk of code and then changing a few little bits. Hopefully this doesn't get too complex.

1. I would like to set it up so that it appears like the player is using a computer and the software is guiding the player through a set of questions and software 'sectors'. Each room would be a new sector of the software package, e.g. You are now in Memory Database 3.1. Please enter a destination where your family went on holidays as a child....' Is this the best way to do this?

Is what the best way to do what? It sounds like you're just describing the design you have for your game. Only you can decide if it's what you want to do or not!

Grids wrote:2. I need to get rid of commands like: 'you can see'. is there a simple way to do this?

If you click "FIlter" in the bottom left and choose "Show Library Elements", then you can see all the built in commands, and you can then copy them into your game and override them.

Grids wrote:3. I want a software guide to guide the person through this process and dialogue with them. Is the easiest way to do this to select move the guide to each new room before entering?

It depends on how the guide works. Is the software guide an object that the player can interact with in the room using standard TA command (e.g. "x guide", "ask guide about XXX", etc)? If so, then you could implement it all as custom commands. Or you could use an object you move. Or if the answer to my earlier question is "no", then it doesn't have to be an object at all or be in the room at all.

Grids wrote:4. I want to have the software guide change emotionally based upon some of your responses (kinda like 'Galatea' game). What is the simplest way to achieve this with the least code?

The first thing you need to do is create all the content. Saying "change emotionally" is all well and good, but what exactly that ends up meaning for you depends on your content. So... write it all out. Figure out what you mean by emotion in terms of the responses and then work out when you want the responses to occur. Basically, there is no "simple" way to do it. That was the magic of Galatea. (Unless you want to dig into the Galatea source and see how it was done and implement those methods.)

Grids wrote:5. I want to have glitchy ambient soundtrack (mp3 files) that changes in different rooms. I want to have glitchy animated gifs in different rooms ( From https://snorpey.github.io/jpg-glitch/). Any tips on creating a multimedia rich game that doesn't take a day to load online

Keep your multimedia files small.

Grids wrote:6. I wouldn't mind the text glitching e.g. like this http://codepen.io/DirkWeber/pen/ArFvk
Is there a simple way to do this or is it too complex?

There is no standard way with HTML that I know of to do that for standard text. The example you show has text drawn using SVG, so the vectors can be manipulated. You would need to draw all your text that way, or at least the text you want to glitch.

Grids wrote:7. Any other ideas for setting up the game.

The best way to get answers like that is to work out your game down to details where you need technical assistance. Then ask specific questions about those things you need help with. What you have described so far is too vague and general to elicit much in the way of ideas (at least for me) without it becoming my game instead of yours. :)

Grids
Thanks. I have built a simple game previously but I just thought I would check before embarking and getting 1/4 of theway through and discovering another 'structural' way and needing to restart. Thanks for the tips.