Game width for WS monitors?

OurJud
Is there a 'correct' way to ensure the width of your game fills the whole screen of widescreen monitors, other than just setting it to something ridiculous like 5000px ?

Or do we just have to accept that those players are going to see huge white margins down either side?

jaynabonne
You might be able to set the width to 90%, or maybe 100% with padding, or... I'd have to try it out.

OurJud
Okay. Thanks.

The Pixie
I would change the colour of the background if it is the white margins that are a problem. I think it would be bad to have the text stretched across the entire screen; when lines are too long, they are harder to read because when you get to the end of one you cannot automatically find the start of the next.

OurJud
Sorry, I meant background. In fact the original post did say '... width of background' but I edited it.

jaynabonne
Then you can set the body background color in your CSS!

The Pixie
Not tried it, but this might work:

JS.eval("$('body').css('background-color', 'black');")

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:Then you can set the body background color in your CSS!

Oh, I know this, but I just wasn't sure if there was a way to easily ensure the whole width of WS monitors would be catered for.

If the background colour is set to black in the UI, the default width will mean even on 4:3 monitors there are thick white borders down either side. I just wanted to know if would have to manually cater for WS monitors by making the width something ridiculous.

The Pixie wrote:Not tried it, but this might work:

JS.eval("$('body').css('background-color', 'black');")

I may as well add that anyway - can't see what harm it would do - and then check with a member who hopefully has a WS monitor.

Thanks.

jaynabonne
The background color in the UI is not the "body" background color described above. It's the color used for the "output" div. Try my "spondre" game on a WS monitor. You'll see color out to the edges. That color is the background color on the "body" element.

(And I have a 16:9 screen on my laptop.)

OurJud
Oh, I see. So there's game background and body background.

Got it now. Thanks you, all.

Anonynn
Speaking of which, is there anything we can do to make the game's "blinding white" padding, black. By padding, I mean the very, very outsides. For example...

| | Game text | |
| | Game text | |
| | Game text | |
| | Game text | |

^ ...................^

The outer edges.

OurJud
Neonayon wrote:Speaking of which, is there anything we can do to make the game's "blinding white" padding, black. By padding, I mean the very, very outsides. For example...

| | Game text | |
| | Game text | |
| | Game text | |
| | Game text | |

^ ...................^

The outer edges.

This is to what I refer, Neon. It seems this is the 'body' background as opposed to the 'game' background. Look back through the thread and you'll find the answer.

If you're only concerned with 4:3 monitors then all you need to do is change the width in your UI. I have mine set to 1300, and then I use custom padding on either side to reduce the overall width of the game text.

You'll find those settings in the Interface tab of Game, but you need to tick the boxes in order to activate them.

Anonynn
Isn't there a way to have the game text NOT run underneath the player/inventory/compass panes while still customizing the white body background? Or a way to have the game panes and text match whatever size the player wants the window to be? Just curious.

I made the custom display width 1300 and all that does is stretch the game and the text, it doesn't solve the body background, it just hides it longer. I also tried messing with the Left and Right custom padding but that was a disaster. Pix also put this coding in...the game tab, script

JS.eval ("$('#dialog_window_1').css('background-color', 'black');")
JS.JS.eval ("$('body').css('background-color', 'black');")

and then I added the other one from this thread right underneath it. But the white persists. It's an evil thing that must be slayed.

OurJud
Not sure why the custom padding didn't work for you. I have 300 either side, which keeps the text central and at a good, readable width. Neither am I sure why you're still getting the white borders. Maybe it's because I don't use panes.