Problem with making Gamebook

HardJ
So hello guys currently im making an gamebook but i dont know how to do this :o
I want when an text is showed to input something and print an message but i want to have 2 options .
So im making the text putting the Get Input options from script then what i have to do ?
I want when the user input Bow to print an message - Good choice
and when they input Sword - Ahhh its not an good choice the sword is heavy and rusty ! :wink:

jaynabonne
Gamebooks typically don't have text input - they have links to click. Are you using the gamebook mode of Quest which is designed for this? Or is your game design some hybrid of text input and gamebook?

HardJ
So okey yes i want to make an textbook .
How can i make this click menu ? :roll:

OurJud
It's going to be very difficult to help you, HardJ. English clearly isn't your first language, and you're using terms that don't really make sense.

'Textbook', for instance, doesn't make sense in this context, and fails to explain what it is you want to do. Until you can make yourself understood it's going to be a struggle for everyone concerned.

HardJ
Yes im bulgarian and im studying currently english :(
So i want to make an GameBook that when u type something it will print an message .
So something like this
U have to choice your wearpon type it
Sword Or Bow
and when u type sword to print an message - Good Choice
and when u type bow to print an other messsage - Bad Choice :)

OurJud
Okay, the code for this, would be something like:

msg ("Which weapon do you choose, sword or bow?")
get input {
if (result="sword") {
msg ("Good choice")
}
else if (result="bow") {
msg ("Bad choice")
}
else {
msg ("Please make a choice")
}
}

This is the UI. If you want to use the code, just press the icon I've circled in red and copy and paste it in.

choices.jpg

HardJ
Thank u man it works now sweet ! <3

jaynabonne
The other way to make a gamebook in Quest is to select that you want to make a gamebook when you're creating a new game. Then you just input the links for each page and which page they go to. No text input needed.

OurJud
jaynabonne wrote:The other way to make a gamebook in Quest is to select that you want to make a gamebook when you're creating a new game. Then you just input the links for each page and which page they go to. No text input needed.

I'm still not clear if it is a gamebook he wants to make. That he was happy (and presumably able to follow my instructions) would suggest it's a TA he's making.

jaynabonne
Yes, it is unclear. I certainly would not want to play an entire gamebook-style game typing in words, but if it's for handling occasional choices like the above... :)

HegemonKhan
@ HardJ:

quest has two game creation choices:

1. Text Adventure: full quest features + potential, able to make a full game mechanics RPG with it if you want

2. Game Book: more like the CYOA ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choose_Your_Own_Adventure ), where you got pages that you read and you pick choices which link to another page. Game Book is much more limited than the Text Adventure, for making a game.

X. if you want a hybrid, create a Text Adventure (so you got the full features and potential) and then make it look like a Game Book. I believe Pixie already made a Text Adventure (library), which appears like a Gamebook, for you to use.

----------

if you want to do stuff at the start~beginning of the game:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ation.html

----------

'if-code' logic:

add the 'get input' Script (this will get the human's typed-in input):

hidden from you, quest sets~assigns: result = (human's typed-in input)
(think algebraic expression: x = 10: the 10 is assigned to or stored within 'x' ~~~ your input is assigned to or stored within 'result')

add the 'if' Script, choose [EXPRESSION], and type in this (well in Belgium language if you're using a Belgium language quest):

result = "bow"

in full, it'll look like this:

if [expression] result = "bow"

-> then, add in whatever script you want, such as the 'print a message' Script or the 'set a variable or attribute' Script or maybe the "Move Object' Script

else if -> choose [expression] -> result = "sword"

-> then, add in whatever script you want, such as the 'print a message' Script or the 'set a variable or attribute' Script or maybe the "Move Object' Script

HardJ
So im making an book that u have options in it .
When u are reading the book u are in the book ! So when u are reading u have to take actions,but im still thinkg what input to put ? :(
The Get Unput then or an click type .
The king died u have to get his place but what will u do next ... And then u will have 2 optins
to write Sit on throne or Run away
or click sit on throne or run away and then print the message ?

OurJud
Well, as has already been explained to you, if you are making a gamebook, the usual method is to have 'click' options.

jaynabonne
(In my opinion) The main plus to having a text prompt in a text adventure game is to allow a wide range of commands and even to give the illusion that the player can type anything. Such games need to be able to respond to a wide range of player input, where people might type "Run away" or "Flee" or "Leave the room" or "Sit on throne" or "look at the throne" or "move throne" or...

If you only have two options, then forcing the player to type in exactly one of those two options just seems painful to me. What happens if they don't type one of those two options? Error and try again?

Once again - in my opinion - if the player has exactly two choices (or three or whatever), it makes a much more enjoyable game just to give them the options as links and let them choose by clicking. It constrains what the player can do. Making them type text is just more work with greater error and no advantage I can think of.

But the choice is yours.

(I hope that isn't too wordy.)

HardJ
So okey thank u guys :) How can i make this click method in my case

jaynabonne
Create a new game and select the Gamebook mode. You'll be given the initial page. Type the text you want there, etc. At the bottom, you'll see the links. A default created Gamebook has three pages, so you can get an idea of how it is set up.

If you do decide you need the flexibility of a gamebook in text adventure mode, then check out The Pixie's post for changing the UI: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4772

HardJ
I dont want an gamebook to be liek an text adventure ...
I want the same like in the get input option but with click style :)

HegemonKhan
a bit of info on using a GameBook:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ebook.html

the most basic GameBook design structure is:

--------

Page Name: Page1

Page Type: [text] or [script+text]

Page Body: text or scripts or text+scripts

text example: It's time for your journey, do you take your bow or sword with you?

links (choices): bow or sword

bow -> PageA1
sword -> PageB1

--------

Page Name: PageA1

text example: Do you practice with your bow, or do you just go off into the forest to hunt?

links (choices): train~practice or hunt

practice -> PageA2a
hunt -> PageA2b

-----------

Page Name: PageB1

text example: Do you practice with your sword, or do you join the army?

links (choices): train~practice or join army?

practice -> PageB2a
join army -> PageB2b

HardJ
Thank u !