Ask/Tell and panes - web version

Quantus
I cant figure out how to use the ask/tell. It doesnt matter what i type in the command bar it says I dont understand your command....

Also, is there a way to lock the screen at a certain number of pixel length so the panes will stop shrinking and expanding as objects are moving around? I want the command bar and compass locked at the bottom of the screen.

Thanks!

XanMag
As for the ask/tell, make sure ask/tell feature is ticked in game tab. Go to NPC and find the ask/tell tab. Click add above the box. Type for example 'dog puppy mutt' (no quotes). Add a script to that when the box pipes up. Choose print message. Type whatever you want in there. "I like dogs." The proper command for asking is 'ask [NPC name] about dog'. If the last word is not in your add key, you'll get the I don't understand response.

Quantus
It is still not working. I did all that. Tried untick retick in game tab. Ask/tell every way i can think of. No go....

The Pixie
This may be a stupid question, but have you added topics to the Ask/Tell tab of the talking character?

OurJud
Use custom commands. The designated functions and templates for these features are complex and erratic at best.

HegemonKhan
I haven't used 'tell', but the 'ask' works like this below (unfortunately 'ask' isn't explained that well in how exactly it works ~ it took me awhile to figure it out too), if you don't mind code, it does show the concept well:

(if you do a lowercase 'ask', then it'll be a popup menu)
(if you do a uppercase 'Ask', then it'll be "in-line" ~ in the big text box as a hyperlink)

ask ("your message") {
// if you choose 'yes', then it sets: result = true
// if you chose 'no', then it sets: result = false
if (result = true) {
// script1
} else if (result = false) {
// script 2
}
}

hopefully you can figure this out in the GUI~Editor, if you don't know how to work with code yet.

Quantus
As for Locking Panes, if i cant do that i would rather have the command bar and compass at the top at the top. Then have text under the command bar.

The Pixie
See here for re-ordering the panes on the right. I prefer the compass at the top for that reason too.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5111#p35351

Quantus
HegemonKhan wrote:I haven't used 'tell', but the 'ask' works like this below (unfortunately 'ask' isn't explained that well in how exactly it works ~ it took me awhile to figure it out too), if you don't mind code, it does show the concept well:

(if you do a lowercase 'ask', then it'll be a popup menu)
(if you do a uppercase 'Ask', then it'll be "in-line" ~ in the big text box as a hyperlink)

ask ("your message") {
// if you choose 'yes', then it sets: result = true
// if you chose 'no', then it sets: result = false
if (result = true) {
// script1
} else if (result = false) {
// script 2
}
}

hopefully you can figure this out in the GUI~Editor, if you don't know how to work with code yet.

Im still trying to understand this. Is ask supposed to be that the object is asking the player a question? What triggers it to ask if so?

The Pixie
Quantus, be aware that HK is talking about a script command called ask, which gives the player a yes/no question, and the script can respond accordingly. On the other hand, XanMag and I were talking about the ASK command, as in ASK BARKEEPER ABOUT BURGLURY.

Quantus
I decided to create my own commands, maybe later I will figure out the ask/tell.

OurJud
Quantus wrote:I decided to create my own commands, maybe later I will figure out the ask/tell.

Easier all round, I find.

HegemonKhan
err, sorry Quantus...

I didn't even know that there was a 'ask' Command... (and sorry about the scary code, it's just so easy to copy and paste it, lol)

Quantus
HegemonKhan wrote:err, sorry Quantus...

I didn't even know that there was a 'ask' Command... (and sorry about the scary code, it's just so easy to copy and paste it, lol)

I don't mind the code, I have some C++ background which helps. My issue is the context of ask/tell. I never really grasped if the object is Asking the player for something, or vice versa. I never did get it working, but I created my own series of commands.

HegemonKhan
Ah, good, I can post code with~for you, hehe :D

ya, you can always create your own stuff, though you might want to name it differently, so you don't over-write/ride the built-in stuff, just in case you want to use the built-in stuff and~or you learn how to use the built-in stuff, later on, lol.