Play Testing from a Specific Room?

hypersloth
Hi folks! I'm building my first serious game and it's already getting pretty big. Is there a way to start playing it from a specific room from within the Quest builder? It's getting a bit cumbersome having to play through the entire game from the very beginning just to test if my newest room and objects are going to behave properly.

OurJud
Find your 'player' object in the left pane, and just drag it to the room you want to test (from).

hypersloth
Ah! So simple...thanks!

XanMag
To piggy back what OJ said, you can also play it through after clicking record on the walkthrough at the bottom of the left pane. When you stop your game, you can click record again and it will automatically run all of your previously recorded commands.

This is a nice feature, especially if your player needs other requirements met in other rooms or needs several items in their inventory from other points in the game. It's easier than dragging all your objects to your player and then remembering where you need to return them!

OurJud
XanMag wrote:To piggy back what OJ said, you can also play it through after clicking record on the walkthrough at the bottom of the left pane. When you stop your game, you can click record again and it will automatically run all of your previously recorded commands.

This is a nice feature, especially if your player needs other requirements met in other rooms or needs several items in their inventory from other points in the game. It's easier than dragging all your objects to your player and then remembering where you need to return them!

That's a feature I didn't even know existed!

hypersloth
XanMag wrote:To piggy back what OJ said, you can also play it through after clicking record on the walkthrough at the bottom of the left pane. When you stop your game, you can click record again and it will automatically run all of your previously recorded commands.

That is good to know. Thanks!

Watcher55
Walkthroughs are very useful for testing games (especially for making sure you haven't broken something!) but in a long game can take too long to reach where you're testing.

One trap to beware of with walkthroughs: if you use time delays ( SetTimeout (2) { ... } ) you will need a game attribute you set to indicate you're in the middle of a walkthrough and have a non-timeout version that's used if you are. Otherwise things will happen out of order and all hell is likely to break loose. I don't know of any inbuilt way to determine you're inside a walkthrough ... nice to know if there is one, anyone?

For testing a particular section I move the player there (I do that in code, in the game: script: Start script -- though that causes errors they don't affect anything). In any case, if the player needs certain objects in hand, you can use your game start script to test for the player's location and add required objects to the inventory.

HegemonKhan
if you're able to... you could make a "cheat" Command, moving you to a specific room and~or game progression state (and~or also set all the required attributes, in-game items, state(s) of the game, and etc stuff, to that game progression point you "cheat" Command'ed to, albiet this is very advanced code and DESIGN-SYSTEM-STRUCTURE work, especially if it involves required assigned attributes, game state stuff, in-game items, and etc stuff ~ similar to the issues with saving and loading a game)

if there's no game state stuff, required attributes, in-game items, and etc for game progression, then making a "cheat" Command to just move you to whatever room is very easy to do.

if you don't understand what I mean:

let's just pretend you got a first person shooter game, like a resident evil type of game (maze with locked doors, puzzles requiring items or specific set'ted attributes, or monsters~eneimes that you need certain stat levels to be able to beat, etc etc etc), and you "cheat" Command "teleport" to some section of your maze, well if you don't also give your player the required keys or other items to progress or go back to previous sections to get the required items for progressing even further, required stat levels to beat the monsters~enemies, etc etc etc, then you got a fatal error, as you're stuck, unable to complete the game and~or to be able to test stuff (as you're missing the needed stuff to do so).