Is turn-based combat possible? If so, how can I do it?

japangirl
I'm working on an interactive text game that's two major points are combat and exploration. How can I do combat?

HegemonKhan
yes, but its difficulty depends on how extensive you want your combat and etc game aspects, if you can code (and how well) or not (you don't have to be able to code to create a combat system, but being able to code makes it much easier obviously), and etc.

for combat:

Pixie's Simple Combat Library
Pertex' Combat Library
HK's Combat code (based upon Pertex' Combat code structure): see the 'HK noob help me thread', last few pages, find my "veni vidi veci" post, lol)

for equipment:

Chase's Wearables (equipment) Library
Pertex' Combat Library

for spells~magic:

for items (storage and etc):

Sora's Stackable Library
Portable Lantern~Light Library by ??? (too lazy to look up ~ just going off of memory)

for grid~map generation:

Jay's (Jaynabonne's) random map-grid generation library

for exploration (no Exits, 'explore' and 'travel' commands):

HK's 'exploration' and 'travel' code

dialogue~conversation:

there's a few guides~libraries of~for dialogue~conversations (too many to list them all, and too lazy to get their links too, lol)

character creation:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ation.html
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5492
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4988 (use for ideas~example, but it's bad code design, as I didn't understand recursion at the time I did this, my functions need to be replaced with: for, foreach,while, do-while, etc loops, as recursion, functions calling themselves and~or lots of nested functions, is usually bad to use)

-----

and etc etc etc RPG stuff ... it's been awhile since I listed off the resources~links, so I'm probably forgetting a lot of resources~links.

if you need help with finding any of these, let me know and I can give you the links for them. Too many to put into this post (too lazy to do so)

---------

P.S.

you might want to hook up with Neonayon, as she can probably help you a bit with getting started, as she too is trying to put combat into her game.

japangirl
So are these already coded things which I can copypaste into my game?

The Pixie
They are libraries, so you create a link to them in your game. I think you need to be off-line to use libraries. Assuming you are using the off-line editor:
Copy all the library files into your game's folder. At the bottom of the left pane is an "advanced" node. If you expand it, you will see "Libraries". Click on that, then click of New or Add or something, you should find the libraries you copied across at the top of the list. Sabe the game, and click the "Reload" button. Quest will set up a link to it within your game.

I am going to pimp my own library, even though HK mentioned it. It is not that easy to use this and the Wearables library he also mentioned.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4886

japangirl
I see none of those options.

HegemonKhan
at least if you're using the offline~desktop version and the Text Adventure version of quest, on the left side should be the 'tree of stuff', click on the 'Advanced', which opens up more options, one of which should be 'libraries'. After clicking on libraries, so it is highlighted, you should now be able to choose to add libraries to you game. You need to have the library files (file_name.aslx) physically be in the same folder as your 'quest.exe' file, in order to see them as choices in the GUI~Editor.

I'm not sure about GameBooks version, nor the online~browser version, I've not used quest for a long time, due to school symester, lol.