List of chooseable names

korochuun
Hi!
Sorry, I looked all through the documentation and I can't figure out how to do this. I'm 100% new. I've only done stuff in twine before, but I've figured out the jist of Quest.

I'd like for my user to choose from a list of names, like
> AAA
> BBB
> CCC
> None of these are my name, I'll type it for you.

The choices would set the name for their character, while the "I'll type it for you" option would lead to an text box where what they enter would be selected as the name instead.
It looks like it's possible, but I can't find exactly what I need with google or scrolling through all the documentation.

If anyone could assist me, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Anonynn
Hmm, I can't walk you through the whole process...but what you could do is start off with an object called Names

Go into the names.object, attributes tab, create a "string list" and call it list.

Then one by one add the names that you want the player to choose from.

Then on the game.object, find the script tab, then Get Input, set variable player.alias = expression result.

After that, go to the player.object, object tab, find alias to display in inventory and put {player.alias}

From there, I'm not sure. I may be leaving out a lot of steps too, but it might be a step in the right direction.

HegemonKhan
there's no popup text box in quest, there's only the command~text box at the bottom of the screen for getting a user's input. I think you can use JS to create your own windows (such as a input popup window or whatever).

----------------------

for simple usage on doing what you want, there's this:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... ation.html

using a popup menu (or you can do an inline menu too: http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/ ... wmenu.html )

as for your last option, of having the user input the name, you'd simply have that last choice, run the 'get input' Script (hopefully you can understand all of this from the 'character creation' link-guide above, but if not, if confused by anything and~or need help, let us know, and we can help you.