Removing the map

pinewoodpine
Hi there,

A complete newbie here. I went through the tutorials without much problems, but this is very new to me so I'll still need some time to get use to.

Anyways, a question for the veterans.

Is there anyway to remove the map functionality? I don't mean just the map, but the entire explore aspect. I don't really need it.

Alternatively, using the Gamebook is a possible option - if only I could add the some of the features from the Text Adventure portion back in (Attributes and Player tabs, mainly)

Thanks in advance for helping the newbie!

jaynabonne
Could you explain what you mean by "the explore aspect"? Do you mean the ability to use compass directions like n, s, in, etc to move about in the game?

If so, then you can 1) not add any exits to rooms, and 2) modify the goto command (I believe) to not do anything.

This might also be useful: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4772
(ThePixie's posting on "How to make a text adventure look like a gamebook")

pinewoodpine
Thanks!

That is exactly what I meant! All I needed is the ability to make a text adventure that looks like a gamebook (a much better description) but with added functionalities like Health and other stats (like a RPG with an additional mana or power bar as well as physical/mental attributes). Success/Failures of actions will be determined by using <, > and = so nothing too complicated is involved.

I'll take a look at the codes and will come back to the forum and see how it goes. Cheers!