Getting Rid of "You"

Vespin
Hello all! Totally new Quest user here. First up I'm wondering how to make the game use something other than "you" for everything. For example, how - in a blanket sort of way - to I get it to say "Frank"?

"Frank can't turn it on."

"Frank can't pick that up."

Etc.

Thanks!
Vespin

The Pixie
Quest uses templates to handle default responses, allowing it to be translated into other languages - or into third person in your case. There is a section on templates here:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/guides/

The general strategy is to display library elements, go to the advanced section, and select the templates (and dynamic templates) you want to replace; copy them into your game (Quest has a button top right to do that for you, as long as you are using the offline editor), then you can modify them how you like.

Kind of a brief overview, hope that is sufficient!

Vespin
Hmm... I'll take look at this, thanks! Frankly, I'm surprised I've not seen an easier way to do this in the handful of text adventure creators I've tried. It's the first thing I want to be able to do, yet it apparently I'm in some sort of extreme minority.

The Pixie
Actually a better way would be to look at this library:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5341

Edit it for "Frank", and away you go.

Vespin
Thanks!

Father thyme
I tried to write a game 'The Tree' in the first person. I have very limited code knowledge. I found myself dispensing with the default replies. And writing my own as scripts. (I can't pick that up , I pick it up)
"You Can't go there " I found more difficult, so I left it as it was. I don't think it turned out too badly as I attempted to write it as an very uneducated character. (Difficult with a spell checker correcting deliberate mistakes.)
Anyway it would be handy to have first, second and third person options available.