If there is an exit, must there be a connecting room?

DavyB
Hi, I'm in the process of (re-)learning Quest after a 4-year gap. As an exercise I'm attempting to reimplement an old game (L) using Quest. This feels like an adventure in itself, as I try to tackle a wide range of existing situations, without bending or breaking Quest in the process. I'm currently looking at creating a maze, where each room appears to have four exists but there are brick walls behind some doors. My main question in this posting is if I define an exit do I have to supply a connecting room? I appear to be able to cheat by creating a look exit and then editing it to be a regular exit. The map goes mad, however, though I've had separate problems with the map anyway. I can create dummy rooms that no one will enter if that is what it takes?

XanMag
You can simply make an exit that returns the player to the existing room. I would have a single "room" that when you enter you print a room description (like "Oops! Another brick wall", then have a press a key script with a 'then' that returns you to the room you just left.

XanMag

Open this up with Quest. Ignore the cardboard box! It was for another question I answered. =)

Just 'feel walls' and go 'out'. When you go north from the first room, it'll loop you back to the starting room. You can use this 'dead end' room for all dead end exits in your maze. Warning: I have not tested it with the map function. If you have a large map, it might appear that you jump to the dead end room and back to your current room. If so, you can probably tinker with the room script and put the scripts in the before entering room space. That way, the player never goes into the dead end room.

Let me know if you have questions!

DavyB
Many thanks for the quick reply. A looping exit sounds good, and certainly it enables me to implement the required gameplay...unfortunately the map algorithm doesn't appear to allow for such exits and is messed up on entry to the room. I'll try bit more experimentation as I'd like to keep the map if possible.