use on vs put in/put in

XanMag
I should know the answer to this, but I've been gone a little while and am likely rusty... and dumber.

I have 'clay' that I want to use on a 'plate'. If I use the 'use this object on another object' in the clay object's tab, everything works perfectly.

My problem is this: the player really should 'put clay in plate' or 'put clay on plate' or 'put clay in square' not just 'use clay on plate', but I can't get Quest to recognize it as the same thing. I assume I would use a command to create the same outcome, but when I 'put clay in plate' the standard 'Done.' response pops up. I want both outcomes to be the same. I've tried placing the command as a child of the plate, clay, player, and game and the results are all the same. Help please.

Do I need override the built in Quest command for put object in?

The plate MUST be a container object. I cannot change that, btw.

Father thyme
Would it help to make clay and plate disappear when clay is put on plate,and at the same time make a new object 'clay on plate' become visible or be moved from your storeroom. Just a thought.

XanMag
I do that after I successful type in "use clay on plate". My problem is that I want "use clay on plate" to give equivalent results as "put clay in plate". Currently, "use clay on plate" works and "put clay in plate" simply results in a 'Done.' response and the plate is now the parent of the clay. The best input is actually "put clay in plate" because it makes more sense, but I'd like it to work for either input.

Forgewright
I don't know much but I use the heck out of commands.
clayandplate.PNG

Here's the code:
if (Contains (plate,lump of clay)) {
msg ("The clay is already on the plate")
}
else {
MoveObject (lump of clay, plate)
msg ("You put the clay on the plate....</br></br>")
ShowRoomDescription
}

and game:

You don't have to have either items in inventory. You can add 'if' script if you want the player to take first.
Add the response you want and it will over ride the 'done' response.

Oh yeah, you can make the plate a surface container and it will show the plate(which has on it) clay.