Newbie Help Please

lazzah
Hi all,

I am a complete beginner at using Quest and I have a couple of questions, if someone would be kind enough to help me?

I have created the main object in the only location of the game and want to add components of that object. I have added the first, but when I run the game and try to examine it, it says it isn't there. There doesn't seem to be any option to define the sub-object as "part of" the main object, AFAICS. Can someone help please? (I tried clicking on "Object Link" on the right and selecting the main object, but that didn't work)

When the game runs, the "You can see..." list of the visible objects appears BEFORE the location text. Is there any way I can change this so that it appears AFTER or AT THE END OF the location text?

Can anyone point me towards instructions on how you do a game introduction?

Many thanks in anticipation.

HegemonKhan
if you haven't already, there's a tutorial that teaches the basics of using quest's GUI~Editor:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/tutorial/

this is really a good place to start, try to do as much of the entire tutorial as you can.

XanMag is trying to create more such tutorials, but they're more for after completing the tutorial in the link above.

Pertex
lazzah wrote:
When the game runs, the "You can see..." list of the visible objects appears BEFORE the location text. Is there any way I can change this so that it appears AFTER or AT THE END OF the location text?

Check the tab "Room descriptions" under "game". THere you find "Room description layout" where you can change the order of the description

lazzah
Pertex wrote:

"lazzah"

Check the tab "Room descriptions" under "game". THere you find "Room description layout" where you can change the order of the description

Thank you Pertex, that is exactly the info I need.

lazzah
HegemonKhan wrote:if you haven't already, there's a tutorial that teaches the basics of using quest's GUI~Editor:

http://docs.textadventures.co.uk/quest/tutorial/

this is really a good place to start, try to do as much of the entire tutorial as you can.

Thanks for your reply, but I have looked at the tutorial already and it doesn't tell me what I want to know, i.e. how do I create an object which is part of another one.

Pertex
lazzah wrote: how do I create an object which is part of another one.

What does that mean? I don't understand the intension.

jaynabonne
If you want objects contained within another object to be visible, then you probably need to set the containing object to be a container or surface. Otherwise, the sub-objects will be hidden within it. (I hope I got your question properly.) See if the options related to containers help you at all.

lazzah
Pertex wrote:

"lazzah"

how do I create an object which is part of another one.

What does that mean? I don't understand the intension.

OK, The main object in the location is a house. This I can do it is easy enough.

The house has a roof, which I want the player to be able to examine. I would assume the roof would be defined as part of the house (as would the door and the windows, etc). Maybe you would do this differently in QUEST from the system I am used to?

HegemonKhan
if you don't want the sub+miscellenous Objects (roof, carpet, wall, floor, etc etc etc) to be shown in the text window~pane and~or the Objects-Places window~pane, you can set them to be 'scenery', which allows the person playing the game to still be able to type in commands to interact with the 'scenery'-setted Objects, but they won't clutter up your text window~pane and~or your 'places and objects' window~pane.

There's a lot of toggle options in the 'game' Game Object (and also on the individual Objects too), they should be pretty self-explanatory, if not then ask us about them.

Pertex
Just to clarify HKs post. There is no build-in part system in Quest. I would do it this way: Have a normal object 'house' in your room and some other scenery objects like 'roof' or 'wall' there, too. In the description of the house I would mention the roof and the wall, so the player can examine these objects